The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Taking Chance. It's a movie with Kevin Bacon in it, where he is bringing home the body of a young fallen solider. I'm tearing up just writing it.

The movie, Act of Valor, that came out last summer. I haven't been able to watch it. It came out while my husband was in the middle east. Hits a little close to home.

I have a horrible time watching any movie where a solider, police officer, or firefighter dies. Too many people that I love...

On a lighter note, who else teared up at the Budweiser commercial? I still do. "He raised his baby and he's a real horse. The love between a person and a horse." I'm such a sap when it comes to that commercial!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

1 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, that Budweiser commercial this year killed me. The damn song was so perfect. I don't often cry at TV/movies, but can think of three exceptions:

1) David Duchovny's Pedigree commercials about the shelter dogs. Oh. Dear. God. Especially Echo. Especially the update commercial when they show him in his new home.
    http://youtu.be/nH3pA29MG5k

2) The 2003-2010 TV show Cold Case, which used flashbacks and period music to keep the murder victims very much present during the course of each episode, which always concluded with the lead detective glimpsing the ghosts - both of the dead and the younger selves of the killers, the survivors, etc. - as she arrests the guilty. Very poignant show.

3) Marley & Me. I didn't just cry, I ran out of the theater. Argh, I really didn't think that one through - I'd read the book, I knew what was going to happen...

I just watched a little known movie on Netflix instant queue. It is a Japanese flick about a cellist who fails at his music career, returns home and takes a job as one who prepares a body for the undertaker. Culturally, this is an untouchable career for the Japanese but it is played with such compassion. The title is Departures

The Shawshank Redemption, even as I've watched it for the millionth time, as well as The Green Mile.

I forgot about "The Champ".

I think the saddest movie ever is "Where the Red Fern Grows".

Lilo and Stitch

8 seconds

2 members found this post helpful.

I never even saw Where The Red Fern Grows. I cried enough reading the book, thankyouverymuch.

As for The Champ, yes, I blubbed like crazy when I saw it the first time. Years later I watched it again and - yes, this is sick - could.not.stop.laughing.

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

Marley and me was the first movie that came to mind, I made the colossal mistake of watching it on a PLANE to/from (I don't remember which) France, and I was by myself. Stuck on a plane where you know no one and you are the crazy American crying hysterically.

Also, The Notebook made my sob uncontrollably, though I was thankfully in the privacy of my own home when I watched that.

Basically any movie that involves animals going "the extra mile" for humans:
    Secretariat
    The Black Stallion
    Warhorse
    Wild hearts can't be broken
    The man from snowy river (Especially the 2nd one where the buckskin dies, right through my heart)
    Seabuiscuit
    And, has anyone here seen "Hatchi: a dogs tale"? Only watch if you have lots of tissues around, I actually liked Richard gere in that movie.

Many of these movies are movies I put in the "only watch once" category because they make me cry. For example: Mystic River, the Hours, Brokeback Mountain, Avatar (yep, I cried). Other movies are: The Black Stallion (yep), Amistad (the ocean scene), Mask, Legends of the Fall, Lord of the rings trilogy (yep "my friends, you bow to no one"). Edit: GrantanaKC, I have purposefully avoided the Notebook for that very reason.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I cry viewing many of the ones mentioned already--Steel Magnolias, Dumbo, Black Beauty.

Up. GAH. You know the sequence. Considering that we went to see this just a few short months after I lost my father, and newly pregnant with my second (and terrified I'd lose him, too), it touched a painful, still-healing wound. Hubby had his arm around me holding me together because I was shaking holding back the sobs. GAH.

The other one that reduced me to a blubbering mess was Awakenings. First, tears of joy, then tears of grief, then tears of beauty. I swear I cried the entire last hour of the film. Now, however, I can't watch it at all--my father's final years, he had rapidly progressing Parkinson's, and the characters slipping into that Parkinsonian statue...I can't bear it.

I will say one of my all-time favorite movies, American Beauty, makes me cry every time, too.

Yeah...I'm a crier.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

I purposely avoid just about every movie with an animal in it. When I was about 5 my dad took me to my very first movie, Lassie Come Home (1970ish). I was crying so badly he had to take me home before it ended.

The movie Up gets me every time. And OMG, just thinking about the ending of Big Fish (very quirky film) makes me tear up.

2 members found this post helpful.

I cry every time I watch him win the Belmont.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Dumbo
    Secretariet (My Baby OTTB is his great, great, grandson and I love the story)

Oh yea - Ghost - Free Willy - ET - more............I can't think of at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by mercedespony View Post
    I'm a huge crybaby at movies too..

Ghost is a guaranteed crying session when Molly (Demi) finally realizes that Sam (Patrick) is still there as a ghost.. Demi is sobbing, I'm sobbing.. it's a sobfest.

oooh yes Ainsley - Marley and Me as well.

I do too, and when he has his bath. My children look at me as if I am a complete loone. Horses make me cry, and yes I cry when I watch the Kentucky Derby, Belmont and Preakness EVERY YEAR.

Fox and the Hound
    My Dog Skip (saw the latter with my little brother on my birthday while I was PMSing. OMG I cried for hours.)
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

ROFL - my daughter knows I'm a loon.
    At least we have company!!

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    I do too, and when he has his bath. My children look at me as if I am a complete loone. Horses make me cry, and yes I cry when I watch the Kentucky Derby, Belmont and Preakness EVERY YEAR.

I cried at the end of Seven Pounds... as well as My Sisters Keeper (the book was worse though, I was hysterical), Marley and Me, Uptown Girls... American History X, Brokeback Mountain, Up, the Notebook... I'm a sap don't even start me on TV shows!

The Incredible Journey, all through the movie but especially at the end when the old dog tops the hill. Tearing up just thinking about it.
    Yes, Dumbo is a grand movie.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron

Oddly enough.

I was in a really bad place when I first watched this. It was the soundtrack that got me.