The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    ...As for the Ranitidine, try and feed outside of a grain meal ie: one hour before and 2 hours or more after. Hay doesn't seem to impact effectiveness.
    Neither does grain. My mare's symptoms improved dramatically within days of being on rantidine, and as noted above, she gets her ground up in her breakfast and dinner. If it affected how it worked, I'm assuming the results wouldn't have been so dramatic in such a short period.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I had a filly with SEVERE ulcers that was on GastroGard for 6 months, IIRC. It wasn't working and draining my bank account dry so I tried something suggested to me by a holistic veterinarian. I got a gallon jug of Aloe Vera Juice from WalMart (< $10 at the time) and a pound of Slippery Elm Bark powder. Mix about a 1/2-1 cup of the aloe and a 2oz supplement scoop of the elm bark and serve over an easy to digest grain (extruded or senior feeds are best). It creates a gel that coats and soothes the stomach. It smells like maple syrup and the horses I've used it on LOVE it. Filly cleared up within six weeks on it. Plus, it's cheap - probably less than $30 a month for a full size, average horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    I had a filly with SEVERE ulcers that was on GastroGard for 6 months, IIRC. It wasn't working ...
    I am skeptical that GastroGard for SEVERE ulcers didn't work at all, especially if you were dosing at 1 tube daily for 6 months...

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I am skeptical that GastroGard for SEVERE ulcers didn't work at all, especially if you were dosing at 1 tube daily for 6 months...
    We had her scoped multiple times - once before the GastroGard and at least two more times during the six months she was on it. This filly was a mess. Her previous owners gave her colic high doses of banamine 3-4x/day for three months and she wound up developing severe ulcers (the worst Cornell had ever seen in a 5 month old filly) and protien losing enteritis. She had edema everywhere... It was sad. She did show some improvement with the gastrogard but it certainly wasn't the cure for her issues. I had to pull her off of it for financial reasons. As a last ditch effort, we did the slippery elm bark and aloe vera juice and it worked. Like I said, situations are different and she may have already had the ulcer healing jumpstarted by the gastrogard but going this route I saw her much more comfortable at meal times, willing to eat and no issues with post-meal colic that we were struggling with before.

Since her success, I've used it on OTTBs and other high anxiety horses with good results. While it's not a mainstream treatment, I'm just sharing becuase I've had great results in the past with it and it's cheap. YMMV.

Omeprazole would not be expected to make protein-losing enteropathy better. That's a separate diagnosis from ulcers.
    Click here before you buy.

Thanks for all the input! I started him on ranitidine a couple days ago, and he already seems to be eating better. The lady at Walmart did look at me kind of funny when I came through checkout with an armload of "economy size" bottles though ...

1 members found this post helpful.

How does he like eating them? or are you crushing them up?

Its so nice to have a horse that eats them whole!

Where do you get slippery elm bark?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dacasodivine View Post
    Where do you get slippery elm bark?
    I would get it from a local health food/herbal shop. It's a pretty common herb. If you don't have one around, you can order it online.

http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals....s/SL1303AH.php

Just google slippery elm bark powder and there are lots of online retailers who stock it and it's usually around $20 with shipping. You'll want the powder and not the shreds.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Omeprazole would not be expected to make protein-losing enteropathy better. That's a separate diagnosis from ulcers.
    I know. She was on other drugs in addition to the gastrogard to treat the edema and PLE. In her case, she just didn't show a marked improvement on the gastrogard but got a lot of relief from alternative treatment. I'm not saying it is an appropriate alternative for every horse, but it is something I have in my arsenal because it has historically worked for me in the past. Like I said - YMMV. My attitude is don't knock it 'till you've tried it. I was skeptical at first and was pleasantly surprised by the results. My bank account also appreciated the relief. This is now my go to for any horse that I suspect might have ulcers or be prone to development due to current conditions prior to investing in $$$ diagnosics or meds.

I would get it from a local health food/herbal shop. It's a pretty common herb. If you don't have one around, you can order it online.

Just google slippery elm bark powder and there are lots of online retailers who stock it and it's usually around $20 with shipping. You'll want the powder and not the shreds.

Thank you. We do have health food stores so I will check there.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    How does he like eating them? or are you crushing them up?

Its so nice to have a horse that eats them whole!
    I have been crushing them and giving via dose syringe ... He takes oral meds like a champ, but if he suspects there is anything out of the ordinary in his feed he won't so much as touch it ... so I honestly didn't even try to get him to eat them, especially with his appetite being less than usual.

3000mg per horse is only if the horse is 1000lb, and so many are much larger than that. The dose is 3mg/lb, so keep that in mind.

Mine also eats it just top dressed/mixed in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    See post #4.
    Thanks...must have skimmed over that post
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Quote Originally Posted by Blkarab View Post
    You can also get the generic omeprazole from horseprerace.com. Very inexpensive and seems to work well...$7 for a tube. We give 1/2 tube a day so it ends up being around $105 for a 30-day treatment. Their shipping has been pretty quick too...I usually receive my shipment in just a couple of days.
    Have you used this from them? I have a horse right now that we are treating for ulcers and this is MUCH cheaper than Ulcergard..
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    Have you used this from them? I have a horse right now that we are treating for ulcers and this is MUCH cheaper than Ulcergard..
    Yes, I am currently treating both of my horses with the omeprazole from horseprerace.com. I noticed a considerable change in my gelding...and I have noticed that my mare is a lot less girthy, and her appetite is now amazing. Their coats are the best they have ever been...my black mare is so shiny it looks like she has been sprayed with glass.

It is much, much cheaper than the Ulcerguard. There is no buffing agent with the generic omeprazole...so when you take them off of the treatment, you need to make sure you have a buffering agent in place, such as neigh-lox, tums, etc. My trainer recommended that I treat both horses for 30 days, and will be at that mark on Friday. I am going to supplement with the Platinum Performance Digestive Aid, starting tomorrow, to hopefully help when I wean them off the omeprazole. Also...we are giving 1/2 tube a day, first thing in the morning before their a.m. feed.

I did not have them scoped because all the ulcer signs were there. I figured this would be a less expensive option over having both horses scoped. If this doesn't work, then I'll get them scoped...but so far, so good.
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Quote Originally Posted by Blkarab View Post
    Yes, I am currently treating both of my horses with the omeprazole from horseprerace.com. I noticed a considerable change in my gelding...and I have noticed that my mare is a lot less girthy, and her appetite is now amazing. Their coats are the best they have ever been...my black mare is so shiny it looks like she has been sprayed with glass.

It is much, much cheaper than the Ulcerguard. There is no buffing agent with the generic omeprazole...so when you take them off of the treatment, you need to make sure you have a buffering agent in place, such as neigh-lox, tums, etc. My trainer recommended that I treat both horses for 30 days, and will be at that mark on Friday. I am going to supplement with the Platinum Performance Digestive Aid, starting tomorrow, to hopefully help when I wean them off the omeprazole. Also...we are giving 1/2 tube a day, first thing in the morning before their a.m. feed.

I did not have them scoped because all the ulcer signs were there. I figured this would be a less expensive option over having both horses scoped. If this doesn't work, then I'll get them scoped...but so far, so good.
    I just did 20 days of a full tube of UG and its made a huge difference.. so I ordered another 15 of the Generic and then he is also on ranitidine so that should work for the buffer peice.
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

I used to buy Frontier Slippery Elm. The price has gone up by about 10 bucks though..
    http://www.iherb.com/Frontier-Natura...FWQ6QgodIBwA6g

this is a great price.
    What is the dosage? I can never remember so I just randomly scoop...

http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    I just did 20 days of a full tube of UG and its made a huge difference.. so I ordered another 15 of the Generic and then he is also on ranitidine so that should work for the buffer peice.
    Yes, I think the ranitidine should work for the buffer, and if he's been on UG for 20 days, that should be a big help too. I read a very interesting article from Smartpak on the research they did for their new Smartgut product. The big thing they mentioned was the buffer. As the omeprazole wears off, there is nothing to block the acid, which is the reason for the buffer in UG. The difference with the generic, is that it's the omeprazole only...no buffer.
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

Ranitidine is a complete waste of time in my opinion. The half life is so short that you would need to give it four times a day. Omeprazole Paste is much better and more efficient way to go.