The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ulcer medications other than omeprazole?

I have a 29 year old, mostly retired gelding who tends to be a bit of a finicky eater to begin with... but recently, he had to be on stall rest for a few days, and he does NOT handle stall rest well. He has a tendency to fuss and fret, and he totally went off his feed. Now, he is off stall rest, but still not eating all that well, and I am concerned about gastric ulcers and feel that he would probably benefit from being treated for them.

However, ever since Uncle Sam got through with me earlier this month, I definitely don't have $1k laying around to pay for a course of Gastro Gard. I have looked into Abprazole, and it is not totally cost prohibitive, but from what I understand it takes a few weeks to be delivered and I hate to put off treatment for that long.

So my question is, has anyone had success with (less expensive) ulcer medications other than omeprazole? If so, which one(s)? This horse is retired from competition, so I'm not concerned about needing something legal for competition ... Just something that works. Thanks in advance!

I've had success with Rantidine (Zantac) in the highest strength. Available at Walmart.

Ranitidine is MUCH cheaper.

Ranitidine can be dosed at 6.6 mg/kg every 8 hours for best results. Some find dosing every 12 hours works just fine.

Or you can use the abler omeprazole granules (called pop rocks on this forum): http://abler.com/gastric-ulcer-treatments/abprazole

Or you can have your vet, if willing, provide a script for the Precision Pharmacy omeprazole powder or the omeprazole/ranitadine paste which runs about $250 for the month of treatment.

If I were in a hurry and on a budget I'd go with the generic ranitidine (3x daily, the dose mentioned above) while ordering some pop rocks.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ranitidine or get vet to call in compounded buffered omeprazole to Precision Pharmacy. Very inexpensive compared to GG/UG.

Just an FYI in case you change your mind on what to use- my Abprazole got here in 12 days the first time I ordered it and about 5 days the second time. I did pay for the faster shipping.

Fwiw, I've used compounded buffered omeprazole with great success, as have many other people, and it is much cheaper. I would use that over pop rocks, but that's the lawyer in me.

Ranitidine

For the average size horse, 3000 mg twice daily, got my mare back eating normal. When her symptoms return, she goes back on the ranitidine.

You should ask your vet because I can get Ranitidine cheaper thru my vet than I can get it at Walmart or our local wholesale store (think Costco, ours is called BJ's). And, the pills are 300 mg instead of the 150 mg that you get OTC, so I only have to crush up 10 pills instead of 20 pills.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I ordered an AbGard Stable Pack from Abler with regular shipping and it got here in 10 days earlier this month. I was super pleased.

I used Ranitidine on the rescue horse that I just treated. Worked well but I got mine from the vet vs the stuff from Walmart. Ive heard its the same stuff but I didnt want to be suspected of anything buying a ton of it at the store to treat him
    LILY-13yr APHA/PtHA mare**LUKE-11yr Rescue Haflinger gelding (being leased out)**ANNIE-7yr AQHA mare

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyedPaints View Post
    I used Ranitidine on the rescue horse that I just treated. Worked well but I got mine from the vet vs the stuff from Walmart. Ive heard its the same stuff but I didnt want to be suspected of anything buying a ton of it at the store to treat him
    The time I stocked up on 6 months worth of ranitidine from Walmart I had a lady stop, look at my cart and look at me and said very empathetically "Honey, do you have heartbearn THAT bad??"
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

5 members found this post helpful.

You can also get the generic omeprazole from horseprerace.com. Very inexpensive and seems to work well...$7 for a tube. We give 1/2 tube a day so it ends up being around $105 for a 30-day treatment. Their shipping has been pretty quick too...I usually receive my shipment in just a couple of days.
    Last edited by Blkarab; Apr. 23, 2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LDavis104 View Post
    The time I stocked up on 6 months worth of ranitidine from Walmart I had a lady stop, look at my cart and look at me and said very empathetically "Honey, do you have heartbearn THAT bad??"
    How much ranitidine do you give at a time? I have been thinking about giving my two a round after we finish up the 30 days of omeprazole.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

HOw do you feed ranitidine?

Quote Originally Posted by Blkarab View Post
    How much ranitidine do you give at a time? I have been thinking about giving my two a round after we finish up the 30 days of omeprazole.
    See post #4.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Iberiansyes View Post
    I know some horses who have eaten the pills topped dressed on their feed. Depends on the horse I guess.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Quote Originally Posted by Iberiansyes View Post
    My gelding eats the pills whole, I just toss them into his grain. I'm lucky like that.

I have to crush them up and mix them with a beet pulp mash for my mare to eat them.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

For maintainence purposes, I currently feed 3000mg twice a day (20 of the 150mg Equate/Walmart brand tablets per feeding). My gelding actually eats this much better thrown whole into his food vs grinding and mixing in. Not sure if he would eat the 300mg tablets whole though. I started out with 25 tablets per dose (3750 mg), and am dropping it by 2 tablets per dose every ~10 days to see what the lowest dose I can use is and still keep him from getting symptomatic. I'll keep lowering it and see what happens. He is ~ 1300 lbs.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Also try U7 by Finish Line to maintain this horse. I've seen nothing less than miraculous 'recovery' from horses with your attitude about food. Granted they won't CURE ulcers but it will sure make things more comfortable for him.

As for the Ranitidine, try and feed outside of a grain meal ie: one hour before and 2 hours or more after. Hay doesn't seem to impact effectiveness.