The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Opinions on Front Studs at BN/N for a good footed horse?

I know this is very controversial and very opinionated but I am just looking for past experiences on these types of situations.

My 6 year old had front shoes put on 2 weeks ago because he had some bruising last summer from the hard ground. Overall his feet are fantastic, I just didn't want to risk him having lameness issues if they got bruised more than last year. Therefore, Farrier recommended having them on Mid April-October and then taking them off for the rest of the year. Anyways, he has excellent feet and has always been barefoot until now. He has always been one to never slip or not be sure footed. I have my first competition(Novice) this year in 2 weeks and have not used studs on him. If you have never used studs on a horse, would you do it the first time at an event? I'm thinking that feeling something new like that for the first time is a bad idea at a show? I am not seeing an opportunity in the near future to try them out before this show.

Never more stud on the front feet than you have on the hind.
    http://longestformat.blogspot.com/

"The present tense of regret is indecision."
    - Welcome to Night Vale

4 members found this post helpful.

I am a big fan of using small studs behind on the N/BN horses but not front ones.

I wouldn't use them for the first time at an event though, the occasional horse will react badly and you don't want to deal with that on top of show-stress

From this I understand that he has no shoes behind? As Tucked says - never more studs in front than behind, so in that case, No.

Shoes in front when he is not used to them will give him more grip than he is used to anyway.

Like you, my horses at this level are usually unshod. I usually shoe to give them more grip, not because they are wearing feet out. First lot of shoes rarely have stud holes.

Always stud behind before in front. Always stud bigger behind than in front. Always consider not studding the fronts on a lower level horse (more torque on joints when not needed).

1 members found this post helpful.

I usually only stud up front for Training or up. HOWEVER, that would not stop me from using them if the footing was bad or the horse was not good in whatever footing I had on the day. But this applies to a horse I already know well WRT how they handle footing and shoes or no shoes.

I don't think I've ever done bare behind and studs up front, but since a bare hoof is vastly different traction-wise than a shod hoof, I would hesitate to give an unequivocal NEVER on what you're contemplating.

Given your and your horse's experience level with shoes and studs, why not just leave things the way they are and see how he handles the footing? Many horses don't need them at all at the lower levels. (although they're often a fashion statement of sorts, IMO) If your footing is bad on the day, just trot the course. I'd rather do that if it's nasty footing anyway. Or scratch. (I just don't like taking a horse out in horrible footing)
    Click here before you buy.

Because we have steep asphalt drives, our horses have little borium nubs on their front shoes. I find this plenty. My current guy is still barefoot behind and ran training (in the Florida sand) with no studs (nor borium) in front and was perfectly fine. I've never put in front studs below preliminary. For my one guy that really hated to slip and tended to, I put on hind shoes and used small hind studs for both schooling and eventing almost from the beginning.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I like studs on the Novice horses because they tend to be learning to find their feet at speed and studs can help give them confidence. However, I would not ever put studs in front with nothing behind.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

We rarely stud Novice horses.

1 members found this post helpful.

Around here I have often used studs at the lower levels sometimes just as much for dressage warmup (wet grass) or stadium (chewed up mud) etc. as for xc...
    but my big horse loves to pull his fronts when he gallops, so I stopped using studs up front on him years ago.
    Only time I ever had an issue was when a torrential downpour came through right as I was warming up for xc...totally changed the ground, and I didn't have time to restud (nor did I realize just how bad it had gotten). Horse was very experienced at the level (T) and we picked our way around but

Otherwise I never missed front studs at all, even through Prelim.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Not sure this is a particularly controversial question - I suspect most folks will say don't stud just in front and don't put studs in at the first time at an event.

I don't tend to put studs in a novice horse unless either they are particularly sensitive to footing and/or have shaky confidence, but in either case, I'd be more likely not to run them than to run them in a condition where they might need studs. I actually don't put studs in even on some of the training and preliminary horses, depending on the footing and the horse (anyone with pour in pads gets studs, anyone going on dry/short grass will get grass tips outside, but I didn't generally put studs in for lush turf or the sandy Florida ground).

Regardless, I don't like testing new equipment for the first time at an event. If you were going to use studs, I would be sure to try them out on the horse in question out in a field etc. so you can see how they react.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyGirl15 View Post
    I know this is very controversial and very opinionated but I am just looking for past experiences on these types of situations.

My 6 year old had front shoes put on 2 weeks ago because he had some bruising last summer from the hard ground. Overall his feet are fantastic, I just didn't want to risk him having lameness issues if they got bruised more than last year. Therefore, Farrier recommended having them on Mid April-October and then taking them off for the rest of the year. Anyways, he has excellent feet and has always been barefoot until now. He has always been one to never slip or not be sure footed. I have my first competition(Novice) this year in 2 weeks and have not used studs on him. If you have never used studs on a horse, would you do it the first time at an event? I'm thinking that feeling something new like that for the first time is a bad idea at a show? I am not seeing an opportunity in the near future to try them out before this show.
    I have always used studs (or, I should say, been prepared to use them) on my horses - both of whom have been Novice with peaks at Training. On my mare I just had her drilled/tapped behind, and only in muddy conditions. On my gelding, he ran back and front (just one grass tip on the outside quarter) almost always. I found with him it made a marked difference in his confidence.

That does lead me to the question, and forgive me for making this assumption, but did your farrier drill/tap the shoes for caulks?
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Does he have pads? Pads, especially the hard plastic ones, really reduce the traction he will have. If he doesn't have pads (and you didn't mention it), and the shoes are fullered (do they even make non-fullered ones or did we just all have to learn that word for nothing?) he should be just fine without studs.

I usually never stud on anything below training level unless there is a particular reason for that certain horse.
    And I would never put studs on front when they are barefoot or with out studs on the hind feet.

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    Always stud behind before in front. Always stud bigger behind than in front. Always consider not studding the fronts on a lower level horse (more torque on joints when not needed).
    This. When a horse lands after a jump, his front feet need a little slide to dissipate the force of landing. So when you stop that slide, you increase joint stress a LOT, so I will not do this unless I feel a STRONG need to do so. I have never yet even tapped front shoes (T and below).

I never studded my older horse at BN/N, he was always careful on footing and never slipped. However, my young guy can get slippy behind and he actually pulled his SI ligament on XC when his hind foot slipped out from under him around a turn at a gallop at N. So he DOES get small studs behind now -- much better than time off, LOL, since he needs the help. He is actually more clever with his feet than the older one, but has a huge, enthusiastic gallop and will forget to pay attention to balance when excited.

So -- listen to your horse, don't overdo it, and always try it at least once at home before the event.