The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ideas?

I used to post on here a couple of months ago (briefly), and mostly lurk. Anyway, I'm in a bit of a rush, so I'll keep this brief.

Earlier today I went out to see my new horse, who I've only had for a few days. She's quite young and I did do a PPE before buying her, and she got a thumbs up from the vet. I haven't ridden her since she's gotten to the place where I'm boarding her, but I lunged her a couple of days ago with no issues. Today when I went out I lunged her and she was quite short in her left hind. When she's lounging about, she often rests her left hind leg, but thus far it hasn't been an issue. I brought her in and felt up and down her leg, hoof included, but save for some very minimal heat around her fetlock she wasn't reactive and there wasn't anything alarming.

Any suggestions? I'm a little stumped because there isn't anything visible or even tangible as far as the leg goes, until she's trotting. I do tend to panic and go to worst case scenario. She could have done something to herself in turn out or in her stall, but I don't know if this warrants an immediate vet call (I did plan to get one out of it persisted for a greater length of time).

She's been normal up to now, and is now short? She has heat in her fetlock...is there any filling there?

What did the PPE involve?

I'd likely just keep an eye on it for a few days and have the vet out if it persists. Lameness, heat (and potentially filling?) in a fetlock of a young horse would make me worry about an OCD or a chip (especially if you did not radiograph that joint) but jumping right to the vet is likely a bit premature. Entirely possible she whacked herself playing and goofing off and young horses are wont to do

Both legs are pretty much identical when she's standing up, and the heat is very minimal. The PPE was a pretty basic PPE, so no radiographs, blood work, etc. (Which godes the panic on, but at her price, even the basic PPE was a good fraction of her over all cost)

There is a good chance she booted the wall or a board in her paddock. She seems a touch prone towards banging herself up and she has just turned 4 (new place, never left her old property). However, since I've only had her a few days, it's harder to tell than if I had had her for a few years and be able to have a better idea of her history.

I agree that I would give it a little time... horses just hurt themselves sometimes, and we can't always figure out how! You could always have the vet out to check on it to feel safer, but if it were my horse, I would give it a few days, keep an eye on it, and then maybe call the vet if it's not improving. Good luck!

1 members found this post helpful.

Sounds like a job for a vet, not a bunch of people who can't see or feel your horse. Hopefully nothing much. Cold hosing can't ever hurt and paying attention. Good luck!
    Click here before you buy.

Thanks for the replies! I ended up giving the vet a ring, I thought I'd put a stop to my worry-wart mode. Since it could be any number of things, and so far no really major signs beyond being short in the trot, we're going to give it a few days.

Did she just go into a new herd situation? Maybe she got kicked or chased around a bit. Give it some time and "try" not to worry.

I would check the diagonal leg/ shoulder. She could be compensating for a front limb abnormality. If your vet finds nothing "wrong" you might want to consider an equine chiropractor.

And any time there is heat, first thing to do is chill it with running cold water to reduce inflamation which can lead to secondary issues.
    Last edited by gabz; Apr. 23, 2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: added info about cold hosing

Time for the vet and a lameness work up on that leg. Thumbs up or not, there are some things that may not show up easily on a PP, without extensive, and usually not necessary testing.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Thanks again for the responses and help! We've gotten to the bottom (hopefully the bottom, bottom) of it