The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Famed Spanish Horses Destined for Butchers

Did anyone else catch this article recently posted in the news? It makes me sick to think these beautiful horses are being slaughtered. I wish I new of rescue organizations that could help. If anyone does and you want to send me the information, I'll try to help.

http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2...ers-block?lite

I did see this on facebook So heart breaking. I wish shipping horses here wasn't so expensive, they are all so beautiful. Such a shame... I hope they find a solution for at least this man's situation.

I'm shopping for a horse in Spain right now in exactly this area.

I will paraphrase what I've been told by the family who is looking for me.
    In the 90's there was an economic boom and people were flush with money. So many people started getting involved in breeding without having experience or knowledge. They bred some not so great horses (and in quite large numbers) and were surprised when the knowledgeable long time breeders kept beating them in the competitions.
    The older breeders, having had a similar situation in the 70's, saw the downturn in the economy and didn't breed many of their mares and even thinned their herds, keeping only the best of the best. So now they only have a few to feed and take care of and less to sell. Their prices are holding.
    The new guys didn't heed the warning signs and kept breeding in fairly great numbers, and now they're stuck, with mostly not the best quality horses.
    So even tho there are horses to be had for even as low as 500 euros, they are not of very high quality. And if someone is going to buy and ship a horse to the States, it's not cheap, so they're not going to get a low quality horse. And even if someone is shipping closer to Spain, you still have to maintain the horse everyday, which we all know how expensive that it. So they also would be less likely to buy a low quality horse.
    So unfortunately, the horses are paying the price.

1 members found this post helpful.

Moral of the story, think before you breed. And if you know someone thinking of breeding, start talking, FAST, saying No! No! No!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

As someone who adores Andalusians and would consider selling her firstborn to own one, I can only D: at this article. What a shame that human stupidity led to this situation. I hope it's not bad for the breed in the long run.