The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

If I texted my trainer that I needed a cocktail, she would have sent over a gin and tonic and a longe line.

Seriously, I'm in the area, and gobsmacked at who the trainer is. Zowza.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

21 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I had the same question and was told that ,in the "about" section of the blog, it was stated that the names used in the blog were not the actual names of the people involved.
    Ohhh, the irony
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres;69 60687
    All of them? Because some of them do indeed, have drugs in them, or at least naturals that are widely used as calming products. They may not work on every horse in every situation, but they aren't psychological.
    psychological for the rider - not horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sing Mia Song View Post
    If I texted my trainer that I needed a cocktail, she would have sent over a gin and tonic and a longe line.

Seriously, I'm in the area, and gobsmacked at who the trainer is. Zowza.
    I hear ya regarding the gin & tonic and longe line.

And since they're in the area, feel the need to add another rule to your series in case they show up?

Well, we do state that we run under USEF rules, but I think it's fairly certain that Nut Lake isn't going to show up at Chez Shadowbrook!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by snaffle635 View Post
    Thanks, skydy. I've been trying to keep up with all the posts, but I must have missed your question.
    You didn't miss it, I asked during an exchange of PM. I really didn't want to read the entire blog, and completely missed the "about" section,so asked someone who had...

I think that at least now quite a few people in the area know who the trainer/rider in question are, so you can be on the lookout. Should you be showing against them, at least you know you are up against cheaters from the outset.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Really? I haven't paid close attention. What's an example of COTH ending or redacting a thread when someone directly involved in something bad described that themselves?
    The trainers dd not describe anything themselves. They were just implicated. There are plenty of threads that have had posts deleted or edited by moderators because the contain accusations of wrong doing. I think you're being purposefully obtuse. If you really want to test the rules, why dont you out the rider, farm and trainers?
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    The trainers dd not describe anything themselves. They were just implicated. There are plenty of threads that have had posts deleted or edited by moderators because the contain accusations of wrong doing. I think you're being purposefully obtuse. If you really want to test the rules, why dont you out the rider, farm and trainers?
    You mean, I should name names so that the Mods can close a thread because it's possible to figure out the IRL people and some COTHer did that?

IMO, the reason they haven't closed this thread is because no one has done that yet. So as long as the blogger remains anonymous here, things can roll along. That has nothing to do with whether or not the blogger decided to out herself to the public on her own blog. The damage done to the trainer is between the blogger and that pro.

I don't know who the rider or trainer is. I don't care particularly. I wasn't the one to suggest that this thread was breaking COTH rules. I believe it is not. I asked you for examples of similar ones, which you didn't provide. I have nothing invested in testing this rule; I'm happy with my hypothesis about why it has not been closed.

I'm also happy with the standards of discussing stuff that goes on in H/J world and leaving IRL identities out of it unless there's a compelling reason to name names. I appreciate the discretion of people in the area of the blogger's barn who want to get the rider or pro's name via PMs. That's useful for them, and COTH's public BB plus the PM feature help.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEhPXrlK5BQ

Ok, this one was done in 5 minutes or less, so keep that in mind.

7 members found this post helpful.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by horseyninjawarrior View Post

But the crash test dummies are an inspired touch.
    The Evil Chem Prof

You are an incorrigible reprobate.

"It's only cheating if you get caught".....snort.

At least you won't get threatened with a lawsuit with this one!
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

3 members found this post helpful.

Let me clear up my statement about the older rider who shows at the most 4 times a YEAR at unrated (read: backyard) competitions. First she is close to 70, started riding at mid 50's and is not the most athletic type person - meaning there people who pick up a sport and are natural athletes - she is not but she loves her horse and loves to ride. She has a lovely horse who is 95% of the time a saint, but as we all know even the most saintly horse can have their moments. So on the odd occasion she decides to go to a show to do an 18" cross rail class (at a trot) the trainer may give the horse something to keep the horse focused. Believe me if you knew the situation personally most of you would feel the same as I.

Sorry gottagrey, I still don't think its okay. I do understand why but still don't think its right. Its a harder situation to judge for sure though but if thats okay then what about the 20 something beginner rider who isn't athletic but loves her horse and loves to ride on the mostly saint horse given a little something because he peeks at puddles? I think it just has to be zero tolerance across the board.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    Let me clear up my statement about the older rider who shows at the most 4 times a YEAR at unrated (read: backyard) competitions. First she is close to 70, started riding at mid 50's and is not the most athletic type person - meaning there people who pick up a sport and are natural athletes - she is not but she loves her horse and loves to ride. She has a lovely horse who is 95% of the time a saint, but as we all know even the most saintly horse can have their moments. So on the odd occasion she decides to go to a show to do an 18" cross rail class (at a trot) the trainer may give the horse something to keep the horse focused. Believe me if you knew the situation personally most of you would feel the same as I.
    Why doesn't someone just get on the horse and work it down?

The above story is a factor in everyone's horsey venture. Age of rider isn't really relevant, most equines have at least a 5% capability of launching us into the next zip code at any given time. Pretty much everything we do is designed to keep that 5% under wraps, so I can't really see why this situation is anymore permissible than the others... If it's truly an appropriate horse for her than it shouldn't take that much work to get the occasional yee-haw out.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

9 members found this post helpful.

Though I may understand why, it's zero tolerance. Betty O is older and not drugging her horses. I'd have someone work it down, just like with a kid.

Almost a year past Humble dying, there should be no excuses. Old, young- it comes down to a suitable mount.

I see a handler in HB, almost 90, out there with the babies- no drugs. And some are rank. Drugging is not ok. We can package it any way and our hearts may bleed for some but it's still a disservice to the animal. It's like parents over medicating their kids instead of disciplining them. We have to break the culture.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

7 members found this post helpful.

I sympathize and admire the lady. My mom sounds similar and I want her to be able to ride in safety. Really, *I* have my heart in my mouth when she's on a horse because no matter what I have done to set up a good situation, I can't catch her if she falls.

As much as it's tempting to believe that the needs of client and horse trump our definition of cheating, that's not true. After all, it's possible to cheat for a reason that someone believes is compelling.

I'm bummed to learn that drugging goes on at Dinky Shows, not just the big ones. I wouldn't care if someone cheated so that their client and horse could show over cross-rails. But then again, I'm not in that division. So if the slippery slope applies and a more competent rider/competitive horse starts using drugs to take the edge off? Then I care.

So how would you police this? How would you explain to a competitive kid who had a better horse with drugs that her agenda is illegitimate but the older woman's reasons for drugging her horses is not? If you have an explanation that everyone can live with, let 'em cheat.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    The above story is a factor in everyone's horsey venture. Age of rider isn't really relevant, most equines have at least a 5% capability of launching us into the next zip code at any given time.
    I think it is relevant. See, the little kid can grow/get stronger. The teen-to-middle ager can learn to ride better. But what does the 70-year-old have? She's at the stage where she either gets this ultra-safe riding or nothing at all.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

The youtube video just made me expel Diet Dr Pepper from my nose. Hilarious!

Gottagrey: I wonder if the trainer would feel worse if the horse spooked and rider took a tumble or if the drugged horse face-planted over that 18" crossrail and rider was injured? Drugging the horse IMO is not at all the "safer" option. Merely exchanging the risk of a flightier/spookier horse for one that is numbed and not fully in control of itself physically.

6 members found this post helpful.