The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 282
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Nov. 30, 2006
    Posts
    904

    Default

    The last paragraph of that blog post asking that the reader not be critical of her use of drugs suggests otherwise, skydy. She knows it is wrong and made excuses for it.


    9 members found this post helpful.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    May. 5, 2009
    Location
    Location: Indiana, but my heart is in Zone II
    Posts
    2,592

    Default

    Canaqua- good question but the newbie heard it somewhere...I suspect trainer. Hope I'm wrong but doubt it.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies



  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jul. 21, 2011
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    4,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    The last paragraph of that blog post asking that the reader not be critical of her use of drugs suggests otherwise, skydy. She knows it is wrong and made excuses for it.
    I see (or rather, I didn't see).
    As I mentioned, I did not read the blog.
    Last edited by skydy; Apr. 25, 2013 at 03:35 PM.



  4. #104
    Join Date
    Jun. 9, 2012
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Canaqua View Post
    Do you think there is a chance that the, quite immature, blogger threw the account of texting for a "cocktail" in for dramatic effect? To seem "cool" to her friends? That would really stink, as the trainer's reputation is now potentially damaged by that blog post.
    Here's the thing, though. We have a noobie making the call, figuratively and literally, from the schooling ring that their mount needs drugs, of which comes in a shot, to compete. And it was ready to go and obliged. For the pleasure division and limited eq. With 2 and 3 people in it.

    Trainer or any other barn manager didn't say, "Are you out of your mind? No." A green(er) rider, who's overhorsed, IMO, made that call and "thinks" they're training. They learned it somewhere. Does it resolve them of responsibility? As others have compared it to other drugs in sports examples, no, it does not.

    This trainer is ultimately responsible for a horse drugged for limit eq and the pleasure division - the irony right there is almost to much. Yeah, Go As You Please is real easy with a cocktail, no? Drugging is ugly any way you slice it, but when you have to drug for this low of an entry of a level into our sport (not knocking it AT ALL - I've done both divisions), that's pretty weak. This is just my humble opinion which in the big scheme of the world counts for diddly squat, but when a trainer is 1.) drugging to begin with 2.) drugging for THAT, how many year-end and circuit awards they've chalked up means nothing. They, apparently, can't even get their riders suitability mounted and ready for the pleasure ring and can't get the green horse with the experienced rider to give it a solid start (please don't tell me this horse has been around for a few years and still "needs" drugs to w/t, w/t/gayp). That alone kinda speaks volumes to me. I'm sure there's a nice schoolie or three on their trailer that's packing some sweet kid around like a saint, but come on... Again. Weak.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Jan. 8, 2013
    Posts
    309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Not A Stupid Alter View Post
    I'm familiar with trainer and association. I'm surprised and disappointed in the former.
    I am not familiar with the trainer but am familiar with the association and I am not surprised. Why I up and left over 12 years ago.
    "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
    - quoted by Martha Drum


    2 members found this post helpful.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Nov. 30, 2005
    Location
    Northfield MN
    Posts
    969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    The last paragraph of that blog post asking that the reader not be critical of her use of drugs suggests otherwise, skydy. She knows it is wrong and made excuses for it.
    I felt that she was explaining why she thought the horse would be better off sedated more than thinking it was wrong. This direct quote from that last paragraph sums it up pretty well for me, "It is also entirely my trainer’s decision, and I trust her judgement of where we are both at." This girl has been taught this is normal. When she talked about texting for a cocktail, she says she is nervous and afraid of her horse, nothing about trying to win.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Dec. 2, 2007
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuckawayfarm View Post
    I keep seeing this girl's blog described as bragging. Did we read the same blog? I read someone describing their daily riding activities, including multiple stops and falls at tiny jumps, entering w/t classes at a very small show and talking about her placings whether first or last. Who brags about that? Her nonchalant revelations about this barn are very disturbing, but "bragging"? Don't see that at all.
    Since I was the first one to use "bragging," I'll explain: When I said she bragged about her trainer drugging her horse, I was referring to comments like, "a cocktail (what we call drugs at our barn)" and "druggies kicking in" and "Thank you drugs!"

    When I referred to her bragging about winning, I was referring to comments like "we won the o/f portion!!" and "We ended up winning that class too!!" and " We end up winning that class too, so that means we get CHAMPION ribbon!!"

    In my book, that counts as bragging. Was the overall blog all about bragging on herself/her horse? I don't think so, but that post sure was.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Dec. 28, 2012
    Posts
    604

    Default

    Regardless whether the blog is bragging or not, she fully admits she drugged her horse in order to compete in the adult pleasure and limited eq. divisions at a local, schooling show. She shows no remorse or reservations at all and, in my opinion, does not even see what she did as cheating.

    I looked up the result and know who she and her horse are, and I will remember both names next time I'm at a show. I don't know who the trainer is, but would like to. As far as I'm concerned, the OP did a good thing by drawing attention to the post. Hopefully, people will keep it in mind when interacting with these people.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jun. 17, 2001
    Location
    down the road from bar.ka
    Posts
    31,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tuckawayfarm View Post
    I felt that she was explaining why she thought the horse would be better off sedated more than thinking it was wrong. This direct quote from that last paragraph sums it up pretty well for me, "It is also entirely my trainer’s decision, and I trust her judgement of where we are both at." This girl has been taught this is normal. When she talked about texting for a cocktail, she says she is nervous and afraid of her horse, nothing about trying to win.
    Comes to mind the inspiration and origination of the term "Drink the Kool Aid".

    Many, if not most, young people search for acceptance and approval to the point they fall under the influence of those adults who take them under wing and provide acceptance, guidance and a sense of belonging. Sometimes they are worthy mentors, sometimes not so much and worst case get sucked into cult like behavior worshiping the very ground their idol walks. Very, very worst case was Jonestown- you can google that if you don't know.

    I just think the blogger here drank that trainers Kool Aid and it is better to try to educate her then stone her. She is like so many that post here their trainer would never let them down, has their best interest at heart, loves them like a parent, has helped them so much and found the perfect horse despite some issues etc, etc, etc. blah, blah, blah.

    Bet there is a heck of a backlash due to that naive social networking blunder and hope she learns she has more to learn and can find acceptance in the horse community via ethical trainers and even asking for opinion and help on COTH. I'll talk to her and try to guide. As a mentor with no Kool Aid.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

    The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.


    11 members found this post helpful.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Dec. 28, 2012
    Posts
    604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    ... hope she learns she has more to learn and can find acceptance in the horse community via ethical trainers and even asking for opinion and help on COTH. I'll talk to her and try to guide.
    That's really great of you! Well done!
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.



  11. #111
    Join Date
    Jul. 21, 2011
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    4,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Comes to mind the inspiration and origination of the term "Drink the Kool Aid".

    Many, if not most, young people search for acceptance and approval to the point they fall under the influence of those adults who take them under wing and provide acceptance, guidance and a sense of belonging. Sometimes they are worthy mentors, sometimes not so much and worst case get sucked into cult like behavior worshiping the very ground their idol walks. Very, very worst case was Jonestown- you can google that if you don't know.

    I just think the blogger here drank that trainers Kool Aid and it is better to try to educate her then stone her. She is like so many that post here their trainer would never let them down, has their best interest at heart, loves them like a parent, has helped them so much and found the perfect horse despite some issues etc, etc, etc. blah, blah, blah.

    Bet there is a heck of a backlash due to that naive social networking blunder and hope she learns she has more to learn and can find acceptance in the horse community via ethical trainers and even asking for opinion and help on COTH. I'll talk to her and try to guide. As a mentor with no Kool Aid.
    This is what I was thinking when I wrote that she seemed to be unaware that posting this on the internet was not wise. Follow the trainer, no big deal, this is how our barn does it, etc..

    I am not an internet sleuth and have no interest in trying to find a blog that has been deleted, so I have not read it. I do think the trainer should be called out to explain.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Comes to mind the inspiration and origination of the term "Drink the Kool Aid".

    Many, if not most, young people search for acceptance and approval to the point they fall under the influence of those adults who take them under wing and provide acceptance, guidance and a sense of belonging. Sometimes they are worthy mentors, sometimes not so much and worst case get sucked into cult like behavior worshiping the very ground their idol walks. Very, very worst case was Jonestown- you can google that if you don't know.

    I just think the blogger here drank that trainers Kool Aid and it is better to try to educate her then stone her. She is like so many that post here their trainer would never let them down, has their best interest at heart, loves them like a parent, has helped them so much and found the perfect horse despite some issues etc, etc, etc. blah, blah, blah.

    Bet there is a heck of a backlash due to that naive social networking blunder and hope she learns she has more to learn and can find acceptance in the horse community via ethical trainers and even asking for opinion and help on COTH. I'll talk to her and try to guide. As a mentor with no Kool Aid.
    I prefer this approach over your response in post #45. That one was rather harsh.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~



  13. #113
    Join Date
    Jan. 5, 2011
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    This is what I was thinking when I wrote that she seemed to be unaware that posting this on the internet was not wise. Follow the trainer, no big deal, this is how our barn does it, etc..

    I am not an internet sleuth and have no interest in trying to find a blog that has been deleted, so I have not read it. I do think the trainer should be called out to explain.
    And I think she has been called out thanks to this thread, the naieve blogger (my description) and horseshowsonline. I doubt we will get an explanation. I find it very ironic that this thread is right next to the Town Hall Meeting thread that find8 and other people are upset about - you think they are following this one?


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Mar. 19, 2013
    Location
    Northern Canada
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I am not an internet sleuth and have no interest in trying to find a blog that has been deleted, so I have not read it. I do think the trainer should be called out to explain.
    I 100% agree. I have been following this thread since it started and find ethics a very captivating and difficult subject to approach (I work in the sciences, admitting enjoying ethics this may be exposing my dork side.. )

    But after really thinking on this, it's pretty hard not take some pity on this rider. Yes, what she did seems deplorable to the majority of us, and even though she's pegged as a earl 20's adult, she's clearly been fed some pretty pisspoor, misinformed advice in her horsey education. By openly blogging about this, to me, indicates pure ignorance. She's been told and taught this is ok, and as far as I'm concerned this "kid" is merely a product of very very poor instruction and guidance. The trainer is solely responsible for this situation. Unfortunately this is the "horsemanship" that a lot of the next generation of riders are growing up around, from "trainers" who are happy to take their money, but wouldn't have a lick of clue how to deal with a hot/young/problem etc. animal, and this is the result, shame.
    Kudos to the poster willing to talk to this rider and help her out a bit.
    I agree the trainer should be called out to explain, and at the very least banned from showing for the season. Although I'm sure her ruined reputation will be punishment enough.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    May. 5, 2009
    Location
    Location: Indiana, but my heart is in Zone II
    Posts
    2,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snaffle635 View Post
    I prefer this approach over your response in post #45. That one was rather harsh.
    I don't see what is all that harsh from # 45? Rider can't get the horse over / through a puddle. To me, that's an incompetent rider. Trainer may or may not be but that's a judgement call since she has a novice rider at a show in a green horse but HEY, no problem because Dobbin can get a cocktail. Something that has obviously been done before because said rider requested the cocktail. And is oh so proud of her ribbons and knows what she did us not right because she tells her readers not to jump on her for the drugs.

    F8 is being kind in her above post. I have little tolerance for fools. I've found they are not worth trying to educate and save. After all, it takes hard work to really train a horse. There are no shortcuts. I hope someone can get through to OP because right now, she looks like an idiot. Her own doing.


    When someone shows you who they are, believe them.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies


    7 members found this post helpful.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    I don't see what is all that harsh from # 45?
    No, I don't suppose you would.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~



  17. #117
    Join Date
    Jul. 21, 2011
    Location
    Co
    Posts
    4,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ponytoes View Post
    And I think she has been called out thanks to this thread, the naieve blogger (my description) and horseshowsonline. I doubt we will get an explanation. I find it very ironic that this thread is right next to the Town Hall Meeting thread that find8 and other people are upset about - you think they are following this one?
    Findeight just posted here..#109..



  18. #118
    Join Date
    Jun. 26, 2012
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Some of the initial responses on this thread make me wonder how strongly people really feel about stopping drugging. If you go back and read, many people told the OP to "mind your own business". Then some of these posters returned to jump on the bandwagon crucifying the blogger! It really makes me wonder.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    May. 5, 2009
    Location
    Location: Indiana, but my heart is in Zone II
    Posts
    2,592

    Default

    [QUOTE=snaffle635;6958611]No, I don't suppose you would.

    I'm not going to apologize for having no tolerance for those who break the rules even when they appear to know the difference of what is allowed and what is not. That hardly makes me harsh. Perhaps you don't like the way I said it. Maybe the horse show world would not be in the state we are now (ponies dying at Devon from a mystery injection) if all the coddling and pussyfooting stopped. Less dead ponies, less drugged horses.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies


    12 members found this post helpful.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Jan. 5, 2011
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    Findeight just posted here..#109..
    I know - was talking about her reply to the Town Hall Meeting thread, where she had taken time off from work and then they changed the dates. Would of loved to hear her perspective too - to bad for all of us. So much "Smoke and Mirrors" the THM seem to be taking, but should we be surprised considering the trickle down economy that this thread has proven our H/J world is in.



Similar Threads

  1. NYT article on drugging show ponies
    By Anne FS in forum Off Course
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Dec. 29, 2012, 11:18 PM
  2. Show decision...wwyd
    By runNjump86 in forum Eventing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Aug. 12, 2012, 12:31 AM
  3. Another WWYD ~ friend drugging horse!!
    By AlterX in forum Off Course
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: Feb. 3, 2011, 08:29 PM
  4. Do you blog about show jumping?
    By Barbara_F in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Dec. 23, 2010, 09:26 PM
  5. Best blog site/software for a photo-heavy blog?
    By two sticks in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Nov. 27, 2010, 04:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness