The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

no it is not just in the Hunters

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Button View Post
    I don't show, so forgive me if I'm being naive, but am I correct in assuming this is a problem that is generally restricted to hunters?
    No, you are not correct in assuming this is a problem generally restricted to Hunters. It's been around since I started showing the old AHSA Western circuit on the left coast and breed shows circa 1970 and was probably ancient far before then. It's on the track despite intensive scrutiny, it's in every show from Ayrabs to QHs and all the FEI disciplines where it's harder to get away with.

Not everybody does it so don't make assumptions about that. The thing I find most pathetic is situations like that blogger. I don't condone but can understand when big money is on the line and the consequences of a low or no ribbon mean loss of clients and income people can get desperate. But drugging a kid horse for a backyard show with more ribbons then horses in the class for a kid that can't ride thru a puddle? Whatever happened to teaching riding at home on a suitable horse and not going to a dummy down show with a loaded horse to compensate for a failure to teach or hold an incompetent rider back?
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    The kid outed herself; but say anything and her parents could come down on you like a swarm of bees. After all, this stuff doesn't look good on college applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    But drugging a kid horse for a backyard show with more ribbons then horses in the class for a kid that can't ride thru a puddle?

I just wanted to point out, she's not a "kid." She's a young adult and if going to college, could be close to graduating.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

2 members found this post helpful.

Do you think it's a coincidence that all the classes the blogger had entered are apparently deleted from the online show results? Bizarre!

And that blog - oy vey!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that all the classes the blogger had entered are apparently deleted from the online show results? Bizarre!

And that blog - oy vey!
    A copy of the blog was sent to the president of the association. That is probably why
    "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
    - quoted by Martha Drum

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    I just wanted to point out, she's not a "kid." She's a young adult and if going to college, could be close to graduating.

Umm, matter of perspective- blogger is less then 1/3 my age and therefore a kid. Thinking back to when I was twenty something in college? Not a tribute to maturity though I thought so at the time. Bust a gut laughing at what I thought I knew looking back.

Shes a kid.

Default Would be a real shame...

If a printout of that blog, ended up at the feed store, tack shop, and especially at the show on the sales board...
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

So when do "kids" start being accountable for their actions to beings that have no "say" in what happens to them? Aren't "kids" supposed to be taught right from wrong and receive punishment for bad behavior? Is rewarding a cheating kid a good practice or a cheating trainer? I say out them all and let them suffer the consequences. The ones that suffer have 4 legs and are poorly or not trained or given a chance to succeed by those who say they are "trainers" and kids who *think* they can ride and compete! Accountablility needs to start at the sources! I'm sick of politically correct or not getting involved -- speak up and make a difference!Why post it if you don't take action and know it's wrong? Horses are the victims and it's ridiculous to split hairs about it!
    PennyG

7 members found this post helpful.

There is drugging and there is drugging and I don't believe it should be that black and white. I have a friend at a barn she's an older woman who enjoys going to the occasional small local show. She's game but slightly timid, she has 85% of the time a saint of a horse, is her trainer going to make sure when they go to a show (we're talking maybe 3-4 times a year) her horse will be 100% saint.. You betcha. On these occasions the trainer might give the horse some feed-thru calm and cool or paste. I also wouldn't get to worked up over some teen's blog about showing.. we don't know what kind of "drug" her horse might have gotten and it could have been a paste of calmer vs. Ace. I'm not sure why people today feel the need to share every little detail about their lives on social media - but in some ways I'm glad they do..

I believe the blog specified a "shot", not a "calming paste".

I am fascinated that apparently many people know the identity of this person and that the show they participated in has taken the class results down from the website, but no one has shared with the BB who they are.
    Some folks may have an interest in knowing, and thus be able to avoid..

Didn't this lady out herself? On the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I believe the blog specified a "shot", not a "calming paste".

I am fascinated that apparently many people know the identity of this person and that the show they participated in has taken the class results down from the website, but no one has shared with the BB who they are.
    Some folks may have an interest in knowing, and thus be able to avoid..

Didn't this lady out herself? On the internet?
    I don't think she intentionally outed herself and, like findeight, I consider her a kid. She never mentions her name or her barn and only uses first names when writing about her barnmates.

I am often surprised by what young people choose to share online. The blog was about "a girl and her first horse" and she was obviously a very novice rider who adored a horse that seemed to be way too green for a beginner.

Her attitude about showing and drugs certainly didn't come from years of experience, but was probably learned from those she looked up to. It would be nice if all "trainers" taught their clients to respect the rules and could competently train both horse and rider. I'm sure everyone in her area is now aware of who she is and hopefully she has learned from having her mistakes discussed on the BB.

If anyone needs to be avoided, I'd say it's the ones who sold her an inappropriate horse and then taught her that drugs are a training method. I would rather put my efforts into trying to educate their hapless clients instead of publicly humiliating them.

The whole situation just makes me sad.

6 members found this post helpful.

This reminds me of a "trainer" in my old area. Just has a bad reputation in general over many things (how her horses come to shows bone thin, etc, reported to the SPCA 3 times, once by a VET). At a local series she takes a slew of backyard horses to, she used a different Coggins for one horse and got caught, got a slap on the wrist. Drugged a horse IN FRONT OF PEOPLE, had a big old welt on its neck and one of the observers went to management. Management said though they don't condone it, they can't afford testing.
    One person who keeps their horse with her but takes care of it herself ("trainer" can't be trusted not to steal your grain and hay but is cheapest around, don't get me started). She sends young horse who trainer "trained" and showed last year to a NEW trainer for a trial to help prep for rated shows (since original trainer is shunned at bigger shows and can't present a horse to save her life). Original "trainer" had a fit.
    Do you want to guess what happened? "New" trainer got on horse and said
    "It's barely broke?"
    " OH no, this horse showed last year. It is very broke. It was reserve in w/t/c"
    Goes to a show, horse is a basket case. New trainer is done.
    Horse goes back to original trainer and guess what-IT is PERFECT at the next show 1 week later. Oh, but very tired because, you know, "SHE" knows how to work it down".
    (Did I mention horse is showing in YH at Devon?)
    Point is, as long as owner turn a blind eye (or obviously some owners just accept it) and smaller shows just don't have the resources, and people still train with these people, this problem goes on.

I guess taking the easy way is the culture now. I find it hard to believe a newbe but ADULT rider still finds it acceptable to drug their horse. It is sad and disgusting.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

2 members found this post helpful.

And that blog - oy vey!
    Results are still up on Horse Shows Online.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    There is drugging and there is drugging and I don't believe it should be that black and white. I have a friend at a barn she's an older woman who enjoys going to the occasional small local show. She's game but slightly timid, she has 85% of the time a saint of a horse, is her trainer going to make sure when they go to a show (we're talking maybe 3-4 times a year) her horse will be 100% saint.. You betcha. On these occasions the trainer might give the horse some feed-thru calm and cool or paste. I also wouldn't get to worked up over some teen's blog about showing.. we don't know what kind of "drug" her horse might have gotten and it could have been a paste of calmer vs. Ace. I'm not sure why people today feel the need to share every little detail about their lives on social media - but in some ways I'm glad they do..
    I don't get this post. Are you saying it is okay to cheat sometimes or are you saying that since it is a feed through you don't think it counts?
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

I'm not sure the kid should be outed here, but I am curious as to what part of PA we are talking about.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHorse View Post
    Results are still up on Horse Shows Online.
    The show is still online, but take a closer look. The classes she mentions that she showed in, such as Hunter Pleasure, are gone. If you look at the class list, there is a range of classes that are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by wishfulthinking711 View Post
    A copy of the blog was sent to the president of the association. That is probably why
    Good. They had a right to know.

The show is still online, but take a closer look. The classes she mentions that she showed in, such as Hunter Pleasure, are gone. If you look at the class list, there is a range of classes that are missing.
    Just checked. Adult pleasure and limited adult eq are still posted with results. Perhaps you checked the wrong show?

By calling her a kid, I am not absolving her of blame as owner for making aconscious decision to cheat and paying for both drug a s somebody to administer it. But she does not know any better and is overall naive and ignorant. I place blame on the trainer and others like them who teach people this is OK and simply the way it's done.

Blogger is just another example of somebody wanting to come off as an expert and part of "the in crowd" who actually shows themselves to be an immature fool.

Going to a show when the horse needs a pop for rider to get it through a puddle is cringe worthy. Fact trainer lets them go horse show instead of staying home until certain basic skills are mastered is pretty much taking advantage of this young and naive owner paying for "training" who seems not to know any better then to allow it and keep signing the checks.

Quote Originally Posted by tuckawayfarm View Post
    I don't think she intentionally outed herself and, like findeight, I consider her a kid. She never mentions her name or her barn and only uses first names when writing about her barnmates.

I am often surprised by what young people choose to share online. The blog was about "a girl and her first horse" and she was obviously a very novice rider who adored a horse that seemed to be way too green for a beginner.

Her attitude about showing and drugs certainly didn't come from years of experience, but was probably learned from those she looked up to. It would be nice if all "trainers" taught their clients to respect the rules and could competently train both horse and rider. I'm sure everyone in her area is now aware of who she is and hopefully she has learned from having her mistakes discussed on the BB.

If anyone needs to be avoided, I'd say it's the ones who sold her an inappropriate horse and then taught her that drugs are a training method. I would rather put my efforts into trying to educate their hapless clients instead of publicly humiliating them.

The whole situation just makes me sad.
    I can relate to this. I had a young boarder who would keep her horses with me seasonally. It was her first time owning horses and the very first trainer they came across, was also the man who sold them her horses. She rode WP, which I knew nothing at all about, but I knew his reputation and was disappointed. Long story short, they left when I wouldn't hang the mare in her stall. After a couple of years, they came back, begging for a safe place, telling me they are sorry for all they've put the horses through. I hate to think of it - I knew they were bashing them in the head for head tosses, but never had the teeth done once. They used spades and used them as weapons . I have since bought the mare, a friend bought the gelding.
    I couldn't reach them myself, because I wasn't a trainer - what did I know? Thank goodness eventually they became educated enough to question him and his tactics. In the interem though, I was a dumb@$$ and they had their "professional trainer". I'm just glad they finally came round. I hope this young blogger has the same epiphany.

ETA: obviously though, some people will always be cheaters and abusers. That's why we have the trainers like the bloggers and my boarder's. So, it will depend entirely on this bloggers conscience...if she has none, she'll only go on to perpetuate the cheating.
    Last edited by hundredacres; Apr. 25, 2013 at 09:32 AM.