The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Reading that blog post, not only did she drug, but she was doing walk/trot AND walk/trot/canter classes at the same schooling show? Maybe I'm way off base, but I've always understood that a basic rule of showing w/t was that you don't cross enter into the w/t/c classes on the same horse at the same show, even if it's a schooling show. Her commentary on the drugging was disgusting. She seriously thinks it's ok.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    Reading that blog post, not only did she drug, but she was doing walk/trot AND walk/trot/canter classes at the same schooling show? Maybe I'm way off base, but I've always understood that a basic rule of showing w/t was that you don't cross enter into the w/t/c classes on the same horse at the same show, even if it's a schooling show.
    If it's not in the show's rulebook or definitions, then there is no "basic rule." So unless you've read the premium (I am totally blanking on what y'all call them back east), I don't think that is something you can hold the girl accountable for.

Sadly, it's quite easy to figure out who she is. I really do hope that her comments were those of a flippant 20-something and not really rampant at her barn.

Drugs have a purpose. That purpose IS NOT to make your horse easier to ride at shows. Again, if you can't get the "good" miles on your horse yourself, find someone who can.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

3 members found this post helpful.

Our local show circuit has a pleasure division where the first class is w/t, second w/t/gayp, third w/t/c

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

lol Rug Bug, we call them prize lists.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

So, here we have an attention craving blogger who is a poor rider on an unsuitable for her ability horse paying an incompetent trainer at an itty bitty show operating outside any enforceable rules or oversight.

Lots for this dim bulb to be proud of...but not everybody operates that way.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

7 members found this post helpful.

From the dates, class discriptions, placings and picture of ribbons with distinctive logo, I am pretty sure I figured out the show, association and blogger (and I am not even good at this stuff!). Anyway, if it is the show I think it is, here is the information form the association rule book re: drugs...

The HCHSA does not condone the use of drugs for purposes of showing horse; and absolutely no syringes, needles,narcotics or drug paraphernalia will be allowed on show grounds

So even though their is apparently no testing, looks like drugging is a no-no. If I rode with that association I would certainly send a screen print of the blog to the BOD.
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

Now that I have read the post, reminds me even more of the trainer and students I know in this area. UGH.

It really annoys me because my horse was a total nervous psycho wreck when he first started showing. To the point where he would sweat out entirely and shake like a leaf for the first half of the day. It took a lot of stress and hundreds of outings but now I can take him anywhere by myself.

He is a super hot head TB and we obviously struggle in dressage with tension but frig, I would NEVER resort to this. What is the point? It's just plain abuse, cheating.

1 members found this post helpful.

This whole thing is so wrong. The drugging, the attitude, the violation of the rules, the blogging about it. IF people don't step up and make noise even at smaller shows, then NOTHING will ever change. If I were anywhere in the vicinity and/or knew any of the parties involved, I'd get together the paperwork and send it off to show people. Or something.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

5 members found this post helpful.

Wow... just.. wow.. That is absolutely frightening.

I am always shocked when someone posts something like that online and then is shocked that people read it and react.

Not sure she got the drugging lesson but I sure hope she got the lesson about posting on the internet.

Someone should invite her here so she can get the drugging lesson.

Has anyone sent the horse show a screen shot of the now removed blog?

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Someone should invite her here so she can get the drugging lesson.
    Maybe I'm going crazy, but doesn't she post here? I swear I recognize that arena and horse from a "Critique Me" thread not too too long ago. But maybe I'm thinking of something else.
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Has anyone sent the horse show a screen shot of the now removed blog?
    Who needs to at this point? I'm sure the news of this thread has made it around their circuit in PA. Whenever something from here or Diva is posted in regards to someone/thing local to us, tongues are usually wagging within 2.2 seconds.

What would be interesting is watching how hard everyone eyeballs this trainer at the next show! I mean, clearly, _______ has plenty of cocktails ready and they're only a text from the schooling ring away! I mean, I read that correctly, right? Not only did we drug for the local pleasure division, but we stuck the horse in/near/by the schooling ring it sounds? Granted, I don't know the layout of this is place, but that's BALLSY.

Do we know what state this was in? Because I rode in an HCHSA show the other weekend in my state....
    "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
    - quoted by Martha Drum

Actually nvm I know the show and it is the one I was thinking off. Stupid Stupid Stupid
    "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
    - quoted by Martha Drum

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBobbyMagee View Post
    Maybe I'm going crazy, but doesn't she post here? I swear I recognize that arena and horse from a "Critique Me" thread not too too long ago. But maybe I'm thinking of something else.
    I think you are right. I think she posted a video of her horse jumping.

This is a bad case of what I call "facebook syndrome." Ill-advised shooting from the hip and running one's dubious "ethics," or one's satisfaction with cheating I suppose, up the flagpole. Really stupidly.

How involved you want to become depends on how well you know any of the interested parties. I would probably shoot the link over to the trainer, saying "I think you might want to see this," and let the trainer deal with the rest.

There's a gray legal area surrounding libel, slander, and proving the veracity of any supposed misdeed in the Internet age; that body of law is being written right now. So if it's not your barn, your horse, your kid or your trainer, I wouldn't get myself involved beyond just "passing it on" as above.

The kid outed herself; but say anything and her parents could come down on you like a swarm of bees. After all, this stuff doesn't look good on college applications.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    This whole thing is so wrong. The drugging, the attitude, the violation of the rules, the blogging about it. IF people don't step up and make noise even at smaller shows, then NOTHING will ever change. If I were anywhere in the vicinity and/or knew any of the parties involved, I'd get together the paperwork and send it off to show people. Or something.
    I agree!!! Nothing will ever change, the horses will keep getting abused (drugging for showing is abuse, every drug has its side effects and dangers - Humble any one?!) unless people SPEAK UP!

Turning a blind eye, not "snitching" on CHEATERS creates the atmosphere of acceptance that is now rampant.

Personally, I think this trainer should get nailed for her actions.

6 members found this post helpful.

I don't show, so forgive me if I'm being naive, but am I correct in assuming this is a problem that is generally restricted to hunters? I asked my trainer about drugging after reading about the Humble fiasco and he said "No, no one does that, besides they test for that kind of thing" and then that he'd never heard of magnesium (other than as a periodic element). He has never stuck me as a stupid or naive guy, but it's also a jumper barn (no hunters because that's "just a checkbook race"), or maybe those people putting in honest effort never suspect others of cheating.