The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Oh man, I'm probably really late on this seeing as the girl has deleted her blog almost down to nothing. However, i'll put my two cents in.

I'm VERY opposed to drugging. Of any kind. Maybe I was sort of okay with it at first, before I saw what it could do to a horse.

My parents last year decided to lease a horse from my then trainer for me to do the Childrens/Juniors on(needless to say, this didn't happen due to the story i'm about to tell you). I knew the horse from when his owner had it and used to show it, but she had quit riding and the horse had been sent on a Texas tour going from barn to barn and wouldn't ever sell. That should have been my first tip off but of course, being somewhat naïve about the whole thing I sort of dismissed any such ideas. I spent a weekend at my trainer's before this A rated show that we were going to so I could get used to the horse. Horse was perfect.

Long story short though, it ended up being that the horse was drugged the entire time to keep him sound and muscled up. This poor horse was at my barn briefly after the lady that my trainer worked for fired him, and the said trainer ended up leaving because he wasn't on board for working his way up again and cited that he had to concentrate on his 'riding' and couldn't be made to do barn chores.. Our barn is a small sort of operation and here he comes with all of his clients and won't even be there every day to take care of their horses let alone check on them. He ended up moving to this shack of a barn and even after the lease ended he tried to sign me on to keep riding his horses at shows(even after he put down my riding ability and said my career was over because my parents don't want another mouth to feed and wouldn't buy me the six figure horse that HE wanted them to buy) and when I visited this shack of a barn the horse was in skinny condition from not getting fed as well as receiving what ever drugs he was on to keep him muscled up and he was lame to boot and the trainer EVEN HAD ME TRY AND JUMP THIS POOR HORSE who had no energy and could barely move.

So I walked. Horse went back to his owner and has been resting ever since.
    Last edited by MonterStables; Apr. 23, 2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: clarification

1 members found this post helpful.

What blog was it? PM me if you don't want to out it here.

This annoys me for a few reasons.

First of all, there is a trainer in my area who drugs her horse every single time she rides it. I hate this, but I try and be friendly because she is good friends with my good friend. I always ask my other friend WHY she is all about the drugging...we think it has become a crutch.

Moving on. This trainer has students at a local very small schooling show, and she is drugging some of the students horses. They all think it's no big deal. Forget that it's not safe, it's cheating, and frig, if you can't ride the horse sober then don't bother riding at all.

I saw her at a show on the weekend and she asked me if I had given my horse a cocktail, I said AHH NO...no need. She says, oh there is no way I would be riding today without one.

Some people are way too nonchalant about this. You can't do anything at a schooling show though, there are no rules against it.

7 members found this post helpful.

What ever happened to riding ability?

I have a truly hot ottb, who can get even hotter at shows, and super hot in warm up rings. Some days sit tight and figure rights are my best friend, some days I drive 2 hours, scratch him and just school. One time, we were right on the cusp of getting him settled at a small schooling show, and we asked for 5 minutes. I'm not a great rider by any means, but seriously? Its not hard to figure out whether or not you can settle down your horse that day with exercises.

Oh and I love the CA drug rule! It keeps more honesty at the lower levels.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    I saw her at a show on the weekend and she asked me if I had given my horse a cocktail, I said AHH NO...no need. She says, oh there is no way I would be riding today without one.

Some people are way too nonchalant about this. You can't do anything at a schooling show though, there are no rules against it.
    This just blows me away. I've never been around anyone who gives "cocktails" (this term is even new to me), and I just can't fathom the mindset of yacking about it to people. I'm really glad that I've been sheltered from it though, because reading about it really stresses me out .

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy17 View Post
    It seriously amazes me what people post on the internet. Like if no one reads what they post, but a few select people. You see it everyday on Facebook and Twitter. The concept of the screen shot and the left click-save is completely lost on many.
    The really sad part of this is that she sounds disappointed that she can no longer be honest about her dishonesty. I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who can't tell the world how she is drugging her first horse so she can handle him at shows.

And it makes me even sadder/madder to know that this is her first horse and this is what some craptastic trainer with a "Good" reputation is teaching her. That drugging in order to show is okay. That they are familiar enough with drugs that they have a nickname for them at the barn. And then to brag about the ribbons won after her "jerk" of a horse was illegally calmed? Disgusting, really. I hope she's reading this thread (I imagine so) and gets a wake up call that what she and her "trainer" are doing is dishonest and BAD horsemanship.

I'm no primadonna. I've used drugs for specific reasons...but never at a show. My equine drug usage has been limited to rehabbing. If I couldn't figure out how to ride my horse at a show, I would either find someone else who could handle them or I would rearrange my goals for that particular show (maybe just hanging out is going to be a good idea) or that particular horse.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    This just blows me away. I've never been around anyone who gives "cocktails" (this term is even new to me), and I just can't fathom the mindset of yacking about it to people. I'm really glad that I've been sheltered from it though, because reading about it really stresses me out .

Tell me about it....a friend of mine and I are always just gagging over her comments.

Quote Originally Posted by TBRedHead View Post
    What ever happened to riding ability?
    The desired look in hunters changed from where a bit forward was acceptable to a tail flick or toss of the head after a jump, or adjusting strides for a smaller or quicker or slower horse meant you could kiss any ribbons goodbye, and people decided doping was less cruel than lunging to death? And people want to show and trainers want to charge them to take them to shows, not wait until the horse and rider are both ready or get there and scratch.

LOL, I just caught the bloggers commentary...she thought she was being discreet by blogging about cocktails at a schooling show. That is so funny.

Can someone please PM me a link to the blog?
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

It's http://equestriantales.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/723/.

Quote Originally Posted by comingback View Post
    cached internet pages can tell a tale long after someone "deletes" it.....wow.
    Link for the non-tech-savy: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=nz

Anyone could locate the above page by searching a few words from the blog from an earlier post on the thread. Click "repeat the search with omitted results included" (the URL for the first result is just the home page). Point the mouse at the second result and a double arrow will appear the the right. Point the mouse at that then click "cached" in the section that appears to the right.

10 members found this post helpful.

Wow, OP I have to give you props for just having the patience to read through that whole long, pointless mess just to FIND the mention of dugging.

PSA: Blogging is not for everyone!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

22 members found this post helpful.

I asked ___to hold him while I texted ___ that we would be needing a cocktail (what we call drugs at our barn), I had wanted to try it without but he was proving to be a jerk and it was making me extremely nervous. ___was nice enough to text her for us so we could continue trotting/cantering anything I could get him to do in the warmup ring. ___showed up, gave him his shot and told us to go walk around our ring (schooling had started) to get him used to everything. There were 3 rather large puddles, we’d have to go through/around them eventually to get to jumps. Thankfully HORSE didn’t care about them (druggies kicking in) and we trotted/cantered around and through them and all over the ring. Then she had us jump a single. I trotted him up to it, prepared for him to stop and be dramatic. To my surprise he peeked a little but popped right over it! Good pony! He got lots of pats and praise for that, and I began feeling much better.

Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

uggh
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

2 members found this post helpful.

Very sad on so many levels.

Reading the post makes me FURIOUS!!! I don't know who I am more disgusted with, the blogger or the trainer.

Personally, this is my favorite part of the whole post ...

"Please, no crit for using drugs. It was a local show and Titan has limited experience being off the farm. He is the type of horse who worries and gets oversensitive, difficult, and strong to ride. The only way to help him is to keep taking him on trips and insure that he has good experiences. I will never assume that we need drugs to have one, I will always give him the benefit of doubt and see where his head is at before I decide. It is also entirely my trainer’s decision, and I trust her judgement of where we are both at. By no means will I ride my horse drugged at every single show, I know by the end of the season (at least, if not before) he’ll be calmer. He just needs positive experiences, and if we need to drug him to get that then that is what we will decide to do. Thank you all for reading, and I do appreciate your comments."

It's really sad because the blogger doesn't even see what it is that's wrong with drugging at a show. If she wants to drug, do it on field trips where he isn't competing against other people who are actually working HARD to get a ribbon. She absolutely does not see it as cheating or giving her an edge over people who choose to abide by the rules; she sees it as a necessary or preferable solution to having a horse who is anxious off the property; and she completely abdicates responsibility for the situation to her trainer. She doesn't see the danger and is just looking for a quick fix. Sure, drugs are faster and more immediate than, say, doing it right and going on field trips until the horse gets used to being off the farm. Sorry for the rant, but I am just ... argh!
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

22 members found this post helpful.

Pathetic.

4 members found this post helpful.

Honestly, I don’t get – I have been “out of the loop” – haven’t shown at “A” shows or rated events since the mid 1990’s.

My trainers didn’t drug – anything ever – except for one horse in the barn that got some tranq for body clips. We NEVER drugged at shows. Shows did not have “sharps” containers. We rode thoroughbreds and did not lunge them into the ground. We did get up early to hack though.

It’s a shame the judges pin the drugged type – and not a natural way of going. Something has to change.

Changing horse showing from a SPORT and a HOBBY to an “ INDUSTRY” has ruined it in my opinion.

If a trainers job was to TRAIN the horse and TEACH the rider – why would drugs ever be a part of the picture? They wouldn't, that is because the trainer’s job has changed to “pleasing the owner” and getting ribbons - as that is what gets them paid.

Blogger- You and your trainer stand for what is wrong with this sport – opps, I mean “industry”

Try working on your riding, and your horse's training, and quit reaching for the needle. You have NO concept of horsemanship.

he’d start doing a little jog every few steps, something the drugs wasn’t fixing but I could work with that for sure.

was feeling so good about how Titan was acting (thank you drugs!) that I volunteered to go in first.

8 members found this post helpful.

Really? Drugging for classes with THREE people in them?

Must be pretty darned proud of that "champion" ribbon.

29 members found this post helpful.

Stupid is as stupid does.
    If you're afraid to ride your horse, sell him, get someone else to ride him, or learn how to ride better. Pathetic. Horsemanship and good riding are dying in the show ring.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

6 members found this post helpful.

Holy crow. I thought it was a clueless kid....it it a clueless adult. Drugging for a pleasure class....way to go (insert eye roll). Wish I knew who the drugger.. Um ..."trainer" was...
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies