The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Default WWYD Blog re: drugging at show??

So what would you do if you were reading a blog where the blogger bragged about her trainer drugging her horse for a horse show, then proceeded to brag about winning 3 classes? And lets say that with maybe 20seconds of research you figured out who the trainer in question was. Would you give them a heads-up that one of their students was blogging about illegal show practices?? Message the blogger that they may want to take that post down immediately?? Show in question was a schooling show, I believe.

2 members found this post helpful.

This is a question of conscience. I am very opposed to drugging horses (unless it's for a valid medical reason), so I would let everyone and their dog know about the blog! After all, the point of blogging is to let the "world" know what you think, do and feel.

If you don't want to do that, I would just mind your own business and not say anything. After all, the horse world is a small place. If you are friends with the blogger and the trainer and don't have an issue with what they did, then give the blogger the heads-up so she can remove the post.

Like I said, this really is a question about how you feel about their conduct.

Update: FWIW, IMO, looking the other way is always the easiest solution. Unfortunately, bad behavior counts on that!
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

4 members found this post helpful.

Take a screen shot of the blog before you do anything.

52 members found this post helpful.

I'd definitely give the show organizers a heads up and would not feel too badly about telling others about it, especially anyone who in considering riding at that barn. I would eventually say something to the trainer in question to the tune of "Just so you know everyone now knows..."

I definitely think you should take a screenshot and report her to the proper authorities. She seems to feel quite alright bragging about it in her blog (and this acceptance of drugging really seems to be the heart of the issue, but that's been discussed to death), so she should feel quite alright answering to the show organizers. Yeah, it was a local show, but it's still cheating, wrong, and dangerous. She and her trainer should have to answer for their actions.

9 members found this post helpful.

To clarify, I do not know the blogger, and while I recognize the name/farm of the trainer, I also do not know them personally. Trainer does have a fairly good reputation from what I gather.

Most schooling shows in my area, unlike local shows, do not follow USEF medication rules. Whether it was cheating, wrong , or dangerous would depend on the medication given and the OP has chosen not to share that info.

The thought of someone giving IV mag makes me ill, a gram of bute to an old schoolie? Not so much as long as no rules were broken.

I can't figure out how/why anyone would brag about their horse getting any type of medication. That, along with the lack of facts, makes me wonder what motivated this thread.

Most schooling shows do not have medication rules so I would just mind my own business.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Quote Originally Posted by InstigatorKate View Post
    To clarify, I do not know the blogger, and while I recognize the name/farm of the trainer, I also do not know them personally. Trainer does have a fairly good reputation from what I gather.
    Specifically, what kind of drugs? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by InstigatorKate View Post

Besides the fact many schooling/local shows (depends on terminology for your area which one is which) have no ability or authority to drug test, no money for it and no enforcement ability at all?

Plus not all bloggers are as they seem even if you do think they can't put anything on the internet thats not true and date a French model.

Sounds like somebody dying for attention willing to claim anything to seem important, seems to have worked on OP. If the bloggers identity and motive is unknown and the trainer only vaguely familiar? Ignore it, for all you know, it could be an attempt to ruin the trainer or that kid depreate to draw attention to themselves.

What most of us would do would be ignore it.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    The specific drug was not mentioned, only that the horse was acting up, blogger called trainer to give horse "a cocktail," trainer showed up, gave horse a shot, and then much calmer horse proceeded to win 3 classes, and champion.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Plus not all bloggers are as they seem even if you do think they can't put anything on the internet thats not true and date a French model.

Sounds like somebody dying for attention willing to claim anything to seem important, seems to have worked on OP. If the bloggers identity and motive is unknown and the trainer only vaguely familiar? Ignore it, for all you know, it could be an attempt to ruin the trainer or that kid depreate to draw attention to themselves.

What most of us would do would be ignore it.
    Blogger did post pictures of ribbons supposedly earned, and a quick search did confirm that the blogger in question, under trainer in question did show and place as reported.

You're probably right. This just really hit me as a former local trainer who would absolutely DIE if one of my kids was running their mouth on the internet like that (although this "kid" is supposedly college-aged). Especially over something that may or may not be true and easily traceable back to trainer. I also feel for the blogger who probably has no idea that posting something like that is incredibly fool-hardy, and may very well result in them getting kicked out of the barn. Not to mention the safety issues. And, I also feel for the other competitors who were (hopefully) NOT showing drugged horses, and were potentially robbed of ribbons/points as a result.

Clearly I'm feeling overly empathetic to all parties and need to just leave it alone. I'll go back to my happy little world where hard work and things like actually schooling your horse get rewarded over drugs and cheating And when you've done those things and your horse decides to be a fire-breathing monster, you scratch your show classes and pay for the extra schooling time...sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    Most schooling shows do not have medication rules so I would just mind my own business.
    Totally agree.

Hum.... Is the post still up? Did a quick google search, and *someone* posted:

I asked [person 1] to hold him while I texted [trainer] that we would be needing a cocktail (what we call drugs at our barn), I had wanted to try it without but he was proving to be a jerk and it was making me extremely nervous. [person 1] was nice ... Waited for other two to go, and we ended up winning the o/f portion!!
    Comes up in the google search, but the post has been deleted.

She must be so proud of that ribbon.

I am not down for drugging horses
    I am not down for cheaters
    I am not down for training through chemistry
    I am not down for the terrible horsemanship displayed by this kind of training.

Now you have yet another kid thinking it is fine to train, and win ribbons with the help of a needle. Disgraceful.

25 members found this post helpful.

If it was in CA, we have drug rules at all shows....no matter how tiny.

Personally, I would send it to the trainer. 1) It lets them know to either clean up their act if they are really drugging or 2) talk to the rider in question or 3) both. If trainer really is drugging and has a "good" reputation, they shouldn't.

I have to say that I'm kind of glad to be in CA. The state drug program isn't perfect, but at least there's no need to say "there are no medication rules."
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

3 members found this post helpful.

Not much you can do.

Its curious people complain about drugging, they complain about lunging and complaint about war bloods replacing thoroughbreds.

Cocktail hour is all around especially at schooling shows. Even better is the trainers that up the price of the 2cc ace horses for the schooling show crowd and have the selling trainer admitting it under influence of vodka. Can pick out the cheaters because they talk bad about rated shows and rarely attend them.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Hum.... Is the post still up? Did a quick google search, and *someone* posted:
    Comes up in the google search, but the post has been deleted.
    Aaand as of today all that's on the blog is:

Due to recent events, I will no longer be blogging. I thought I was being discreet about the information I put out here but I guess I wasn’t.
    No kidding.

22 members found this post helpful.

One needs FACTS before accusing anyone of anything, but even if this is a schooling show and it realy did happen, there are no sanctions in place to punish/reprimand the trainer. Ignoring it though is not helping the industry in any way so seems owners need to be aware of the behavior and be very careful about using that trainer!

I thought I was being discreet when I posted on a blog that everyone in the entire universe could access?

That is awesome.

I guess not.

24 members found this post helpful.

cached internet pages can tell a tale long after someone "deletes" it.....wow.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by kalidascope View Post
    Aaand as of today all that's on the blog is:

"Due to recent events, I will no longer be blogging. I thought I was being discreet about the information I put out here but I guess I wasn't."

No kidding.
    It seriously amazes me what people post on the internet. Like if no one reads what they post, but a few select people. You see it everyday on Facebook and Twitter. The concept of the screen shot and the left click-save is completely lost on many.

And the funny thing is, and I'm being serious, I'm laughing at this chick, but the funny thing is it seems like she's ticked that others read her blog and talked about it (at least to me, that is).

6 members found this post helpful.