The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I Have the Greatest Husband

The other day, I came home from the tack store after spending...too much. I was worried my husband might be a little upset (we don't have a ton of money for extras). So I say, "ImayhavejustspentatonofmoneyonstuffIdon'tneedfort hepony." *Brace for the impact of disappointing looks.* He looks at me. Blinks. And says, "And...?" I blink back. He says, "You thought I'd be mad? I'm sure pony needed more polos/quarter sheet/saddle pads/fill-in-the-blank." I think he's a keeper

3 members found this post helpful.

A simple question...if you don't, as a family, have a ton of money for extras...why did you spend a bunch of money for stuff you DON"T NEED for your horse? Just because he's didn't say it, doesn't mean he isn't disappointed in your wasting money.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

6 members found this post helpful.

Sweet husband he is. Yes Though your crime isn't nearly as severe as mine... when I went home and told my husband, "honey, I just got a speeding ticket...."

Maybe while she's posting "I think he's a keeper," he's somewhere else posting, "I think I'll throw her back."

Just kidding, OP, but Trakehner does have a point.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hubby and I confer with each other before we do any frivolous spending. We are on a budget, it’s a must. I have my money sucking hobby (horses) he has his (dirt bike / mountain bike). He has never said “No” to something, and either have I, I suppose. But sometimes we will say, well how about next month? We have bill X to pay right now….

I have never resented needing to discuss before making purchases, and I have never felt any pangs or guilt telling him how much I have spent!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tonythepony View Post
    He says, "You thought I'd be mad? I'm sure pony needed more polos/quarter sheet/saddle pads/fill-in-the-blank." I think he's a keeper
    Or maybe he just bought a boat and he hasn't worked up the nerve to tell you yet.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

10 members found this post helpful.

Apparently he didn't see it as being as big of a deal as she did, otherwise I am sure he would have said something. TTP I'm glad he is supportive of your "habit". I too have a keeper, who also has an expensive hobby (golf), last week he was in Myrtle beach with boys, this weekend he is going with me to the Martin's Carriage Auction, we support each other. Everybody is on a budget of some sort just a matter of what it is.
    Last edited by Left at the Alter; Apr. 22, 2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: typo

Is it bad DH and I still have seperate checking so I can spend at will (as long as the bills are paid)? Lol... Glad he is supportive OP mine is as well, only bills he hates are my vet bills... So I just pay them quietly as soon as they come in lol and dispose of the evidence (OK I am mostly kidding, I do tell him I just try not to leave them laying around to remind him lol!) ... Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    A simple question...if you don't, as a family, have a ton of money for extras...why did you spend a bunch of money for stuff you DON"T NEED for your horse? Just because he's didn't say it, doesn't mean he isn't disappointed in your wasting money.
    All the things I bought were things that I've wanted for a while, but have kept on the back burner. I made extra money this month with my art business, and spent it on things for me (he is the one who says my art money is mine to use for horsey things). To me, the <$100 purchase felt like a big purchase. I am generally good with money (craigslist and trades are my main means of getting horsey things) and don't spend outrageously. I'm not throwing away 100s of dollars here. If I actually thought he'd be mad, I obviously wouldn't have bought the stuff!

1 members found this post helpful.