The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Billets on saddle too short, Anything else to help?

I've had my saddle for quite some time (5 or so years), however the billets are shorter than most. I've compensated by buying bigger sizes in girths for my pony but recently purchased one that can't exactly be returned, and it's a bit too small (bought on eBay.) It's a really nice belly guard girth but I'm almost too afraid to use it because the straps don't reach the billets. I purchased girth extenders but the buckle comes a bit down and is resting on my pony's side, so I've decided to just not use the girth because I feel bad that the buckle is there. I'm not exactly sure if the buckle resting on his side effects anything so I wanted to ask the community. I've thought of purchasing sheepskin buckle guards that go around it (they come in different colors to match the girth.)

If nothing else maybe I'll just sell it to someone who knows what girth size they're supposed to be buying

Thanks in advance, my first thread so I'm not sure if its supposed to be in this topic

You might try trading your girth with someone who has a larger one. Having a too-short girth with buckles against the skin isn't so great, and it may be annoying under your leg. I think the padding to help that will make it more annoying for you.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

1 members found this post helpful.

Haha I was so concerned about my pony I forgot all about my leg and the buckle being in the way. I'll have to post around then and see if anyone is interested. Thank you!

hubby has a saddle the same issue. short billets. it stinks. what we have done is use the extender just to get one side started. we put on strap into the extender while it is only hooked to one side, then we grab the short billet without the extender, and hook it. then we remove the extender and we can usually pull up the straps better. It sounds weird but it has worked for us.

I've never thought of doing that, that's actually a really good idea! I'll have to see if that works at all next time I try this girth on. If not I'll have to figure out another plan of attack. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Phototoxicity View Post
    I've had my saddle for quite some time (5 or so years), however the billets are shorter than most.
    As it's an issue you've noted, you might consider having longer billets put on the saddle

2 members found this post helpful.

I was going to do this a few years back but the problem is there aren't many saddler's out here that do this (for a reasonable price anyway). I've called a few tack shops and they would have to send it out and it would cost more than just buying a bigger sized girth. I'll eventually be looking into buying a new saddle but for the time being (and until I can figure out what saddle I want exactly), I have to work with what I have

Replacing billets is not expensive and if they are at all worn probably a good investment anyhow.
    Click here before you buy.

I have a saddle like this and it sucks. No ideas, just commiseration.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Replacing billets is not expensive and if they are at all worn probably a good investment anyhow.
    Problem in New York is everything is expensive lol. The billets are in great shape, the saddle is too. I clean it weekly and stored well. Any saddlers in my area are about an hour+ away, and any local tack shops would have to send the saddle out (I'd be paying shipping for the saddle then the fee to the tack shop.) I've posted a message on a local equine website, maybe I can find someone to do it a little cheaper then what I've been quoted.

Clever With Leather. Great prices, super fast, but yeah--they're in Kentucky. If you know someone going to Rolex she'll be there!
    Click here before you buy.

Any Amish near you? We had new ones put on by an Amish leather repair shop. He did a great job and was very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Any Amish near you? We had new ones put on by an Amish leather repair shop. He did a great job and was very reasonable.
    No sadly I'm based in Long Island (about an hour from New York city), everything here is way too much money and if I wanted to get a good deal I'd have to travel a bit haha. Although this gives me a great idea to look at leather repair shops and not just saddlers and tack stores. Thanks!

Talk to mike Scott....the saddle guy.com or.something like that. very reasonable prices super fast turnaround and return shipping is included in his prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_girl221 View Post
    Talk to mike Scott....the saddle guy.com or.something like that. very reasonable prices super fast turnaround and return shipping is included in his prices.
    Thank you so much!! Sent him an email

No problem. He reflocked my saddle and I had it back in 3 days. He's fairly busy so he will coordinate for you so you have it back fast. I have a friend that replaced the billets on her cc saddle with long billets through him.