The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I got a dog for myself several weeks ago that is in the house. My other dog would rather die than cross the threshold.
    I did not realize how much I missed having a dog in the house. I have slept better than I have in years, am happy, and so besotted with her.

1 members found this post helpful.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Yep. I can't imagine my life without dogs. I'm just sorry they are only here for such a short time.

My dogs are my kids.
    Dreaming in Color

2 members found this post helpful.

Dogs want to interact. I like cats and horses, and they're both definitely special cases, but dogs are the ultimate domesticated animal. I don't feel home at night until I've hugged the dog twenty times. Which is hard, because she's busy showing off how happy she is I'm home by running through the house.

I think it depends on your personality/needs. I could be dog less very easily I think, unless I lived alone--visual deterrent reasons. Cats, no way. I like their quiet energy. So small and snuggley! They smell better too in my opinion LOL!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I've had my dog since she was a baby and she is now 7 years old. I love my horse, I love my cats, but that little dog is the light of my life. I keep hoping technology will appear to make her live exactly as long as I do, not a second more or less.

Dogs are aweome.
    I like cats too but ....

Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.
    Dogs come when you call. Cats take a message and get back to you later.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

LOVE my dogs, love them more than I love most people and can't imagine not having them in my life. And yeah, While I have a soft spot for all of our animals, the dogs are on a whole other level; they truly are part of the family.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Dogs are imperative, yes; but there are times in our lives when it's just not practical. It's up to us to CHANGE those circumstances!!!

We had to put my husband's dog to sleep the week of Christmas, she had a tumor. Even though I have a dog he is not a touchy feely dog and will not come in the house so we felt dogless. After six weeks he finally got a puppy from the shelter and it was wonderful. A few weeks later I got a puppy and we were in heaven!
    They add so much to our lives and I cannot imagine being dogless.

I desperately want a Corgi and have held off for years in getting one because my life wasn't really where I wanted it to be in order to take care of one every day. Hopefully, that is going to change soon! I had my cat for 15 years and he died last year of cancer, so I've really been missing having a house pet in my life. Admittedly, I'm very nervous about getting a dog because they're so different from a cat (although my kitty always thought he was part dog!) and I really hope that I'll be a good dog owner since I haven't had my own non-farm dog in over 20 years!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

After college, went straight into horse owning/showing. Then got married, gave that up, but substituted doggies. Was lucky enough to get a great Lab pup from my best friend's litter, and she turned out to be a super show dog - boy did she have "presence" for that chunk of hot dog in my pocket!

After 20 years of just a little showing (family first!), lots of travels, selective litters (only 3), my last Labbie passed away about 4 years ago. Sig other at the time had doted on the dog, but then announced we were not getting any more dogs, as they would limit our travel.

We both agreed we hated kenneling them. Still tried to explain to him how you can usually swap favors with friends, get a pet sitter, etc. Nope.

I went nuts that year without. Got my lovely kitty-cat, but was truly having withdrawal.

Then one day on a weekend jaunt, we passed by a dog show. He saw the Irish Wolfhounds, and said, off the cuff, "well, if I had one of those..."

Back on to the internet - wouldn't pay the full price for one, of course . I finally found our lovely Toula just a few miles away as an adoption situation from a divorcing couple. Since we worked together out of his home, we won the prize - there was a long list of adoptive parents interested!

Sig other and I only lasted another year. He promised to share responsibility - certainly loved having her visit. But then he bought a Mini , so there went visits to "Daddy".

I'm so happy to have her, and she's such great company in my out-of-the-way spot. I may have to move on and give up this house sometime in the near future. Don't know how I could ever go into an apartment without a dog. Would almost consider living in the car first - a big car!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

YES!! I have had dogs since I was a little kid and can't imagine life without them!

DH was not an animal person when we first got married, and waffled about getting a dog. After my job situation changed and I started working from home, we started talking about it more but never went out looking for a dog. Then one day my mom calls, so excited, that she saw a flyer in the grocery store with a picture of the CUTEST PUPPY EVER that needed a new home, and she had taken the phone number for me and I needed to call RIGHT NOW. So I did, and the puppy was still available, so I made arrangements to meet him, and that's how our little Max found us. DH is IN LOVE with him, carries him around like a baby, and tells Max all the time how much he loves him. Now HE can't stop talking about getting a second dog once we have a bigger house!!

There is just something about that pure love wrapped in a furry coat that makes life complete. Dogs are truly a gift from God.

And, of course, a picture of our sweet Max! https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...94240126_n.jpg
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE