The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Default Life without a dog is just...wrong

I went years and years without having a dog because I was not home enough to be there for it. I still think this was a good decision at that time--and I had other pets and horses.

Now, however, I look at my dog and can't imagine going back to not having one. They're just so much fun to have around! Dogs just add so many things to your life that other animals don't. Oh, I know cat people hate hearing that, but unless it's a cat that acts more like a dog (which I have known) then I'm not on the cat fancy track.

Love dogs!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

5 members found this post helpful.

1 members found this post helpful.

Simply put I can not imagine nor do I wish a life without critters of any sort. Will probably have a goldfish when I am too feeble to properly care for 4 legged critters.
    Our dog died last year and I am all too ready to find another or have one find us. Our barn kitties enjoyed, most of the time, loving on our old dog.

Agree that each brings their own special joy into our lives.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Oh, I love other critters, too. It's just that dogs are so good at being a part of the family. They just take a place I've never had another animal fill.

I think the fact that they live in the house and want to be a part of everything and want to behave (better than a child will most of the time), it makes them very unique.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

oh yeah, I went through a period where I couldn't possibly have taken care of a dog properly, so I had two cats instead. And no, they didn't even come close to filling the role a dog plays.

2 members found this post helpful.

I lost my dog in 2003. I had never in my life been without one but was gone over 12 hours a day so I didn't get another. Then one found me 2 years ago June. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed going for walks, buying toys and just having one around. I don't think I will be without one again if I can help it.

A few years ago, I was suddenly dogless when I lost 2 faithful companions in 4 months. (Both had long happy lives, one death was somewhat expected, the other shockingly sudden). After 20+ years of always having at least one dog, being dogless really sucked. Fortunately, that only lasted a few months, and now I'm back to 2 dogs.

Ah... This post hits a "soft spot"... I've been dog-less for almost a year now!
    Lost my faithful "dog of a lifetime" last summer... was there through it all with her and I wouldn't trade it for the world and I know she had a wonderful life (rescued as a cattle dog who was about to be shot at 9... cost me $$$$$$ in vet bills over the years and was put down at 15 years of age).
    As much as I MISS the company... I really don't have the lifestyle for it at this point. And I'm one of "those" that feels that if you can't take proper care of them, you shouldn't own them
    Keep on telling myself that at some point "one" will find me and it will be meant to be... that's how all the animals in my life have showed up anyways!
    Too much travelling going on at this point.
    BUT in my book: a home isn't a HOME without a dog... that simple
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

Seriously. Our dog is my first dog and I just adore life with him. He's a weird, goofy being that just makes me smile. I grew up with cats and there is something about a good kitty that I miss, I'm pretty sure this bozo has converted me completely.

I can't remember not having a dogs. I have 2 right now, one since early childhood. My uncle had the nerve to tell me the dog wouldn't be around for much longer. The nerve of some people.

I totally agree! After staying home for the first couple years of college and then transferring to a university, I was so homesick when I moved away this past fall. I found my dog in October and she has been the best cure for my homesickness and just making me happy in general! I love taking her to the barn so she can run around and play and even after all of the hard puppy training and house training (which I wouldn't recommend for a college student in an apartment) I will definitely not be without a dog ever again!

I will never, ever be dog-less. DH and I even bought our house with that in mind. We had an old, old guy at the time and he couldn't do stairs. So we picked a house that didn't have stairs to the entryway and had a master BR on main. We figured that even though Oscar's years were numbered, we'd always have dogs, and sadly they do always get old, so why not plan?

No matter how lousy the day was, it puts a smile on your face to stand there with the key in the lock and hear the dog on the other side of the door, just being excited about YOU.

4 members found this post helpful.

It's so nice to know that other people understand this.

I've had dogs most of my life, too, I feel like something is missing when I don't have a dog.
    My current dog is 14 years old and doing great for her age ( a little blind, a lot deaf, still running around like a pup most days) but I dread the time when she'll start having real health problems. She is SUCH a presence, follows me around in the house, is always right there with me, has a great sense of humor to boot.

My husband, who was not a dog person (or any animal for that matter) before I married him, is totally smitten with her. She is always happy to see us, she's always in a good mood....and better behaved than most kids, haha!

I have a cat too. She is interesting, she's not your typical cat! but it's just not the same!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

2 members found this post helpful.

In my nearly 32 years, the longest I have gone without a dog in my life was two weeks...and even THAT doesn't really count, because those two weeks my brother's two dogs comforted me in my mourning of my grand girl. I went to a Petsmart rescue day, just to look, and came home with Stella. She is my constant companion, like her predecessor.

I have great friends. I have siblings and a mother that I adore (who, like me, don't do life without a dog or two). I have my horses and I have my cats. But Stella is here, no matter what. I can't even explain how much she means to me. And I know she won't be here forever (), but I know the next dog (because there will be a next dog) will help ease the pain and will take a spot and be my constant companion, best buddy, co-pilot, comforter, comedian, etc, etc, etc, etc....they are SO good for the soul.

Wish I could get my good friend to see that he, of all people, deserves the love of a dog of his own again. . .

He had a black Lab who followed him like a shadow for her entire long life, everywhere he went in his truck and the barns he worked at and all his house-sitting jobs and landscaping. They were so close words of command weren't even necessary; she just knew what he wanted of her and did it, always. He's the best "Dog Person" I know, and a gifted trainer.

His Lab died about 5 years ago from several illnesses they valiantly fought together. Now, he doesn't have a dog of his own, but various "step-dogs" belonging to me and several of his other friends. In some cases, he spends more time training, playing with, and walking them than their owners!

I'm always after him to get himself another dog, and have frequently shared ads and offers for good representatives of breeds he likes, from reputable people. Yet he still makes excuses and just won't take the plunge again in spite of how much he enjoys other people's dogs . . . (sigh).

A loss to him, and especially to the Canine Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Stella is here, no matter what. I can't even explain how much she means to me..
    My dog's name is Stella too! We named her for the Stella Artois beer, because she was that exact color when she was a pup (apricot Std poodle). Now, she's more of a cream color.
    pic
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Seriously. Our dog is my first dog and I just adore life with him. He's a weird, goofy being that just makes me smile. I grew up with cats and there is something about a good kitty that I miss, I'm pretty sure this bozo has converted me completely.
    I had to work hard to convince DH that with a bird and a cranky older cat in the house we still needed to add a dog. But thank goodness he listened to me when I badgered him into getting our current dog. She's a field bred English springer spaniel, and I don't know how we lived so long without her. She's goofy and ridiculous, and completely right for us!
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    My dog's name is Stella too! We named her for the Stella Artois beer, because she was that exact color when she was a pup (apricot Std poodle). Now, she's more of a cream color.
    pic
    Oh, she's cute! I don't know why I chose Stella for her name, it just suited her. And I started drinking Stella Artois because of her

She's what I lovingly refer to as a West Virginia Mountain Mutt. Stella.

I totally agree! I can't imagine not having a kitty as well though

We got a second dog because my 9 year old sheltie "might die soon" and I didn't want to be dogless. He lived to be 16 but having two dogs at a time became the new standard. I hope to never be with less than two.