The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Calling all cat people!!

....ok cat people.....HELP!! lol - I used to free feed Lucy because....well for no reason really aside from she was young and I just did....but after she started gaining WAY to much weight I slowly took her from free feeding to getting her food put out and only putting enough for her to finish in one sitting. She gets more wet food than dry because on the dry she gains with minimal amounts. (Im looking at putting her on an indoor formula) but Ive also read that that is better for cats to be on a more wet diet. Well now that she is only getting fed and doesnt have free food she is now searching my house for more food. She has just started getting on the table and I just found evidence of her on the counter walking around and getting into stuff thats up there. Will she ever get over not having food in front of her 24/7!? She gripes and groans for more food when I get food for myself or the kids but she seriously is still fat! She has a belly pouch of fat!!! I dont understand her constant want for food. Also tips for keeping her off the counters?? I was thinking about getting one of those sensor alarm things or something.......
    LILY-13yr APHA/PtHA mare**LUKE-11yr Rescue Haflinger gelding (being leased out)**ANNIE-7yr AQHA mare

I would first take her to the vet and get bloodwork done up on her to rule out any medical condition and go from there. Good luck, I am in the service of a royal fat cat myself so I understand the demands being placed on you.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Currently on a diet, I too understand her constant want for food Do you have any idea how much she was eating on free choice? Diet changes should be gradual. In the beginning, I would start with more than the recommended amount & gradually go down to the recommended amount (as she was likely eating WAY more than the recommended amount when she was free choice). I think a vet visit is also in order (before starting any diet). The vet will give you her accurate weight & be able to set realistic goals. As for the belly pouch, all cats get this - even my perfect weight cats - it's just happens with age & gravity & I've seen it start as early as 6 months - after they are fixed. Lastly, diet is only part of the equation. Exercise is the other. You have kids, so put them to work! Kittehs love wand toys, lasers & tin foil balls. Can you make playing with Miss Plump Kitty part of their chores? Good luck - some kitties are prone to plumpness, but it's a good thing you're aware & proactive.

ETA - you need to keep their weight loss in perspective, relative to their size. A 10 lb cat losing 1 lb is the same as a 100 lb person losing 10 lbs.
    Last edited by ken; Apr. 22, 2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added thoughts

Thanks and yes I agree with you ken. She was getting around a cup a day roughly on free choice. She would finish it all some days before the day was up but I would not give her anymore. It took me probably a month or longer to get her down to eating at a meal. I just gave her less at a time and gradually moved into her feedings verse food being available all the time....hope that makes sense. She was overweight to the point of me feeling fat lumps on her underside and she is only a year old. There are no underlying medical issues with her. No she just has that flabby fat hanging belly and fewer fatty collections but still should loose a little I believe. Im just curious why she is ALWAYS wanting something to eat unless she is asleep. Ive never had a cat that was as bad as a dog following me to the kitchen anytime the pantry opened! lol Right now she is getting Felidae dry and just Friskies wet because she likes it....but Im thinking about a diet change to see if that helps things some.
    LILY-13yr APHA/PtHA mare**LUKE-11yr Rescue Haflinger gelding (being leased out)**ANNIE-7yr AQHA mare

Just musing here...

When I am on wheat and sugar (I try to avoid both) I CRAVE both ALL DAY. I'm not even hungry, but bread or candy just sounds SO GOOD.

I wonder if it is the same with kitties? If so, getting her off of grains and onto an all meat canned might really help with her ZOMG I AM STARVING FEED ME NOW behavior.

I have four cats, three on Before Grain canned food and one on Hound & Gatos and I see zero searching for food behavior, unless it's meal time. At meal time, they are all "pitiful human, due your duty and feed me now, you miserable wretch"....you know, what you expect out of a cat

Switching to a meat only wet food could be an interesting experiment for you. There are fancy feast varieties that would work if cost is a concern, but I find both the BG and the Hound & Gatos to be pretty reasonable.

Oh, the belly flap is also not worrisome and doesn't mean she's fat. Look at the rest of the cat and forget the flap. If the rest of the cat is fat, then she's fat. If the rest of the cat looks good, then she's fine.

What foods are you feeding? Grains really aren't good for cats...they are obligate carnivores. That doesn't mean that you can't feed dry food, but, IMO, it needs to be a high quality grain free dry and you need at least half (or more) wet food to keep them hydrated. There are some reasonably priced good dry food; try Earthborn Holistics or Taste of the Wild.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Just curious - what does she weigh? I had a 17 pounder, so I'm not judging! Switched him to before grain food & got him down to 15 within a year. Definitely not ideal, but his whole family is big (not that that's an excuse). My friend has his brother (different food & different environment & he is also a chow-hound @ 15 lbs. When was she spayed?

This only works for dry food, so may not work in your case...but.... I worked with a VERY overweight cat. Over 25 lbs. Could no longer use the litter box, and waddled everywhere. Was sore and miserable. But loved to eat.

What I did was take x amount of dry food and spread it over an entire room. It took the cat about an hour to hunt all the kibbles down and eat.

As she started losing weight and was more mobile, I inreased her exercise - I would take a kibble and throw it down the hall. She ran to get it and came back to me asking for more (quite cute! but time consuming).

She ended up a few years later weighing in at 13 lbs. Unfortunately she passed away, but the weight loss gave her a few more years of a quality life and it was a great bonding process.

Tin food is best for weight loss...just dont think you could do these exercises with tin without it becoming pretty messy LOL!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    What foods are you feeding? Grains really aren't good for cats...they are obligate carnivores. That doesn't mean that you can't feed dry food, but, IMO, it needs to be a high quality grain free dry and you need at least half (or more) wet food to keep them hydrated. There are some reasonably priced good dry food; try Earthborn Holistics or Taste of the Wild.
    Right now she is getting Felidae dry and just Friskies wet and I mix half a can with a small handful of dry each feeding but I was thinking about switching to something that may fill her a little better so maybe she isnt always hungry.....I was kinda grasping at straws there

Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post
    Just curious - what does she weigh? I had a 17 pounder, so I'm not judging! Switched him to before grain food & got him down to 15 within a year. Definitely not ideal, but his whole family is big (not that that's an excuse). My friend has his brother (different food & different environment & he is also a chow-hound @ 15 lbs. When was she spayed?
    I really dont know now....last I weight her she was only 10 lbs but that was when she was 9-10 months old and she is very short and stubby and overall a small cat so its more than it seems for her. She is over a year old now though.

MY cat used to be super fat!

Instead of free feeding like she was used to, I switched her over to a high quality food and now she gets two servings a day. If you're feeding something that has a lot of corn, soy, etc., your cat isn't getting everything they are intended to eat and will not feel satisfied. My cat actually eats much less on the quality food.

Originally I had both my cats on Blue Buffalo Grain Free, but because of the fatty's chicken allergy, they now both eat Natural Selection salmon and green pea limited ingredient formula. There are lots of great healthy cat foods on the market now. Grain is not necessarily an evil as cats would naturally eat a bit of grain when they eat the contents of rodents' stomachs. Just make sure that meat (and not byproduct meal) is the number one and most substantial ingredient. Sometimes it can be hard to swallow the price difference, but if you stick to the feeding chart you actually won't be spending much more at all. Your cat will also feel satisfied getting the nutrition she needs.

As far as staying off counters, I was told cats are afraid of aluminum foil. They are when I shake it around, but my female cat loves shiney things, so you can imagine how long the fear lasted. We just use a spray bottle and after consistently spraying her, she learned to stay off for the mostpart. Good luck!

1 members found this post helpful.

sry forgot to answer the spay question. She was spayed before I got her at 3 months of age. She was a rescue that I adopted....she had been abandoned in a box with her litter (4 kittens total) and had to be bottle fed. When I adopted her (and her brother but he began attacking her but thats another story and he has been rehomed) she still was shaved and had only just had the stitches out.

My cat has a big belly but is pretty slim overall. I thought about getting an automatic cat feeder to "portion control" his eating but haven't gotten around to it yet. He likes to eat throughout the day but if I leave enough food for that in the bowl he will gobble it pretty quick. If the bowl is empty he follows me around and does this pitiful meowing "mommy I'm so hungry, please feed me". Has anyone else tried an auto-feeder. Do they help?