The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Facebook shares...

I'm trying hard to resist breaking into a huge tirade on Facebook... but I am pretty nonconfrontational and don't like offending people...

I'm just plain SICK of people 'sharing' posts on Facebook that are ridiculously wrong... mostly political posts, of course, and most at least two or three years old and long-proven false! Come on, don't people CHECK the legitimacy of things before getting all in a tizzy about it and demanding that their freidns take action and stop the injustice and not stand for this, and so on...??

I remember back in the pre-Facebook days, my mom would forward emails, and within seconds a reply would come from my brother with a link to Snopes. I always thought that was annoying of him, because, you know, she was my mom, and it's not like we didn't all know she was a little crazy. WHo wouldn't be after raising us??

But now I can't help it anymore. I've become 'that person' who responds to people's facebook posts with links to snopes, factckeck, etc. I don't like being that person. But come on, people... it doesn't even really take much digging... most stuff that makes people go all is fairly obviously made up... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to spot a fish...
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

6 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Someone has to be the voice of reason.

How about all those people who share stuff that is looking for your like or reply and are all scams? It's absurd out there.

Post what you want. Don't post. Just please, please, please tell people it's not a Twitter account and not everyone wants to look at new pictures of their face every single day! (My personal pet peeve.)
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

1 members found this post helpful.

I;ve got a friend who clicks like on everything. EVERYTHING. Those e-cards, while they were cute at first, are so tiresome. I end up hiding certain people from my timeline. I wish there were an option to hide certain TYPES of posts - political, moronic, etc.
    Everyone is running from something. Especially this person I'm chasing.

^^ My sister clicks 'like' on everything too.. It's like a checklist for her... yup, I read that one. My favorite it when she likes her own posts... or when she likes something, then immediately posts arguing against what she just 'liked.'

I feel like I went through all my friends one time and changed settings to just show me 'important' posts... so either Facebook erased that setting, or they have very odd measures of what is important.

WOuld be nice if it was like Pandora... if you 'like' a post, they'll keep showing you similar posts and skipt he rest. That's pretty much how they do the advertising, so they could make the news feed liek that if they really wanted... I'd pay to never see a 'shared' post again. I've never seen one worth the ey strain.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

2 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

On a different note about FB, how about the new directed advertising on your wall??? Makes me crazy to see all those things out there that I don't want to see or hear about. If I did, I'd go looking for them!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Now I'm getting a lot of pushback when I do cite Snopes -- because they are a left-wing org full of hateful godless liars. I try to ignore it all and still go off the deep end every couple of weeks.

What I really hate are the people who don't CARE if it's a hoax -- I've gotten responses like "well I'm sure stuff like this happens!"
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

7 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I simply block the "re-posting idiots" on my friend list, or if they are annoying enough, I unfriend them...and tell them why first.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I love when I have more than one person posting the same exact thing. I rarely share or like things unless they really mean something to me. I am from the Boston area originally so I definitely shared one Boston Proud banner. Just one, not every single one that showed up on the internet. I like places where I shop because I like being in the know when there are special sales and I like athletes/pages I am very interested in keeping up to date with, not everything under the sun. I don't want to block my family so I just suck it up when they are "like happy" or "share happy" offenders, but for my friends I let them know and unsubscribe from their posts in my timeline (I don't block them or delete them).

You can change your settings to not show friends' comments and likes. Just hide a post, and then click on choose which posts (something like that, it's usually the middle option) and click off comments and likes. Sure cleared up my wall!

And if someone just goes over the top with posting, I hide them for a couple of months or so. Go back and unhide them to see if they've changed. Nope? Hide 'em again. LOL

I have been doing that for years - checking out these things on Snopes and sending the facts to the people. No, I don't like being "that person" either but I guess I dislike even more having my friends (and their friends) act like the kinds of people who fall for that sort of stuff, who don't know about researching the facts.

Got into it long before FB, when I was researching family genealogy and found people posting "facts" about our common ancestors that they hadn't realized they had to check out and get official citations of sources.

So join the club, archieflies. Or start the clique, and I will gladly join!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

3 members found this post helpful.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I tried to correct a friend from high school when he posted some false medical information as part of a vent about his sister. Even posted a link to epidemic.org with the correct transmission for a specific disease on the link (could have posted any number of different sites as they all said the same thing -- you can't get it from eating or drinking after a person). He refused to listen to the facts. Sometimes it really is like hitting your head on a brick wall. That was 1... there are only 2... a second moron episode and I'll hide his feed.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I'm a snopes checker, too, and I dare say that I've irritated a few people. Another thing I'll do is, if I get one of those memes, that expresses something that I think is important and/or didn't know, I'll search for an article on the subject from a legitimate source and post that, instead of sharing the meme.

I am also a sharer of lost or stolen animal posts. There, too, I don't just automatically click, I check out the actual post first to make sure that the animal is still lost. Sharing that kind of post does work, and I must say that it bothers me a bit when people in the area of the lost animal that are my friends do not share on. I keep thinking "What if it were one of your animals that was lost?"
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I'm really glad I don't have Facebook for the reasons listed. I like to remain anonymous.
    Chicken Fancier

"Mischief Managed!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    You can change your settings to not show friends' comments and likes. Just hide a post, and then click on choose which posts (something like that, it's usually the middle option) and click off comments and likes. Sure cleared up my wall!
    Yep, and you can block applications--I basically have blocked any game I don't play (so anything that's not Farmville, Bejeweled Blitz, or Words With Friends). And pages.

My personal pet peeve is "I need prayers but I can't tell you why." Or, "Why did you do/say/write this" and then say "oh I can't talk about it..." when you ask what is wrong.
    THEN DON'T POST IT ON FB, DUMBASS! Arg!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

2 members found this post helpful.

Just last week, due to something that had been posted that was totally false AND had to potential to hurt people, I unfriended a bunch of people and put lots more on an acquaintance list. Likely some of them are going to the unfriend list as well. I also toyed with the idea of leaving the one account up and starting a different one for those I love best. Haven't done it yet, but I was becoming increasingly annoyed at the forwards, the stupid things and then this last bit of damaging nonsense. I'm giving myself 2 weeks to calm down and then I'll see how I feel about some on the acquaintance list.

My BIL sent me a mass email forward claiming that snopes was owned by liberals, so I used truthorfiction.org, which is unapologetically conservative, to debunk his rumor. Got no reply.

I am not on FB, and all that sort of thing has moved over there, thank gawd.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by archieflies View Post
    I'm trying hard to resist breaking into a huge tirade on Facebook... but I am pretty nonconfrontational and don't like offending people...

I'm just plain SICK of people 'sharing' posts on Facebook that are ridiculously wrong... mostly political posts, of course, and most at least two or three years old and long-proven false! Come on, don't people CHECK the legitimacy of things before getting all in a tizzy about it and demanding that their freidns take action and stop the injustice and not stand for this, and so on...??

I remember back in the pre-Facebook days, my mom would forward emails, and within seconds a reply would come from my brother with a link to Snopes. I always thought that was annoying of him, because, you know, she was my mom, and it's not like we didn't all know she was a little crazy. WHo wouldn't be after raising us??

But now I can't help it anymore. I've become 'that person' who responds to people's facebook posts with links to snopes, factckeck, etc. I don't like being that person. But come on, people... it doesn't even really take much digging... most stuff that makes people go all is fairly obviously made up... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to spot a fish...
    forward this post to 10 friends and we all get a million dollars from Bill Gates.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

5 members found this post helpful.

I can't stand it. It makes me sick and sad because it shows how divided our country is--and how unwilling some people are on both sides to consider the other side has any validity.

I don't post Snopes or similar links unless it's a good friend I know would want to know. Most people who post that crap prefer to be wrong when the story is better and fits their script.
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

Cull.

I will apologetically say that I *love* FB. I have the nicest group of upbeat, positive friends who occasionally post funny, non-offensive memes. Because, people who irritate me get cut, end of story.