The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ever sit and think about how short life is?

Every few years I take stock of my life: am I who I want to be? Am I doing what I want to be doing? Am I with the person I want to be with? Basically, am I happy and am I a good person?

Well, I had one of these days a couple months ago and decided that I actually kind of wasn't as happy as I think I could be.
    Soooo, I took a vacation to Turkey with a friend (nope, not the BF), I've started volunteering (I'm a companion to people in hospice care), and, for the big one, I'm SINGLE after 3+ years!
    Not gonna lie, that one is kind of scary but wow, do I ever feel a sense of relief!

Anyone else ever take a step back and re-evaluate and make changes?
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

6 members found this post helpful.

off topic, but thank you for doing the hospice work. The companion volunteer my dad had when he was in hospice was just such a great, great gift not just to dad but all of us.
    Thank you.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

2 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Yep. Life is short. Enjoy each day (that can mean different things to different people). Never get hung up and what other people think you should be or do.

And always be prepared for it to end suddenly. Trust it what you know and believe to be certain about what happens after you die and have peace in that so you're ready at any time. Don't wait...it could be too late at any time.

If you have that peace, then life becomes less stressful and you know that no matter what happens, you are 100% sure of the worst possible outcome and can deal with anything else that comes your way.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

1 members found this post helpful.

I do The last 10 years have just flown by and it irks me to no end that we waste the prime of our lives sitting behind desks pushing paper in jobs we hate (ok maybe that's just me. haha!).

I do believe that we have to live for ourselves and not waste time worrying about whether we're making OTHER people happy. Not to say we shouldn't be concerned about the feelings of others but you only get one shot at this life so you'd better live it in a way that you feel most happy. There are no do-overs!
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    Every few years I take stock of my life: am I who I want to be? Am I doing what I want to be doing? Am I with the person I want to be with? Basically, am I happy and am I a good person?

Well, I had one of these days a couple months ago and decided that I actually kind of wasn't as happy as I think I could be.
    Soooo, I took a vacation to Turkey with a friend (nope, not the BF), I've started volunteering (I'm a companion to people in hospice care), and, for the big one, I'm SINGLE after 3+ years!
    Not gonna lie, that one is kind of scary but wow, do I ever feel a sense of relief!

Anyone else ever take a step back and re-evaluate and make changes?
    Wow. That's a 180 from not too long ago.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    off topic, but thank you for doing the hospice work. The companion volunteer my dad had when he was in hospice was just such a great, great gift not just to dad but all of us.
    Thank you.
    Awh, thank you.
    Amwrider: May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their genitalia and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Wow. That's a 180 from not too long ago.
    On the surface, you're right, it is. But within myself, it isn't.

I should have left that relationship a very long time ago. But, if I'm going to be completely honest here, I had invested a lot of time and heart into it and want to get married and have a family, and I suppose just kept trying to convince myself that it was "good enough." Truth be told, it wasn't. But fear--both of being single/having to start over and the stark realization that I may now have missed my opportunity to be a mom--was a strong motivator.....

Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    Ever sit and think about how short life is?
    Nope. Life's too short to do that.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Well, before you go throwing the metaphorical baby out with the bathwater, shouldn't you at least have yourself checked just to be sure you're not writing yourself off early for reproduction? I mean, there's always adoption but I got the impression that you want to make one of your own and all that.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Well, before you go throwing the metaphorical baby out with the bathwater, shouldn't you at least have yourself checked just to be sure you're not writing yourself off early for reproduction? I mean, there's always adoption but I got the impression that you want to make one of your own and all that.
    I said "may" have missed. I haven't given up all hope that it could still happen for me some day.
    But that's neither here nor there; whatever shall be, shall be.
    And all that jazz.

nope. I've always felt the exact opposite.

Life is really damn long.
    Best make the best of it because if you put yourself in a situation that isn't so great...welp....you have a long time to go before you die.

Build a good life. You'll be there for years.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

3 members found this post helpful.

Yes.

I have especially being doing that the past couple of years when my situation has seemed so drastic (barely a job, too old to get another one, and now no car to get to one).

I am really amazed to look back at where I was about 18 months ago and realize that I am still even here.

I am in a new town, and have made some wonderful new friends (one of whom takes me to barns to hang out with horses). Now two of these new friends are moving away and I am totally devastated. What will I do without them?

So once again I am starting to reflect on how short life is, and on how I can do something that will matter to me.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

A friend who lost an aunt suddenly last fall adopted 'life is too short' as her motto, and then when another younger relative died suddenly a month later, she has decided that life is too short to put off fun for some distant time in the future. So she got a big screen tv, signed up for the pro football package, and when she traded in her car bought the car of her dreams-a two seater convertible. She filled most of her fun, and bucket list at the same time.

She's right, and life is too short. I know so many people that are going to travel when they retire, or put off all enjoyment until then, and never get to have fun. So many times by the time you have the time and money to have fun, you aren't physically able, or you're in such a rut you don't have the gumption to do anything new. I'm not saying you should spend every penny, but have some fun along the way, because tomorrow isn't guaranteed to anyone.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Being in my late 20's.. I do this... at LEAST 4 times per year... lol! So WAY more often than what you brought up!!
    Constantly asking myself if I'm truly doing what I was "meant to do"...
    Also always did that in every single relationship up until now... I am HAPPY right now on that level.. so I'm going to enjoy it and not second guess every single thing... every single day! (have a tendency to question too much once I start!)
    GREAT for you for being able to do all those things and walking away from your relationship!!!
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

Short answer Yes. Much to do before I can "rest"
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I am of the The most valuable thing we have is time, so dont waste it mindset. I might be selfish, but for instance I dont do extended family get togethers anymore because I dont like those people, they are mean miserable, competitive, negative downers that suck your will to live. Why waste my vaulable time. Now this Thursday I am voluntering to serve a council dinner with a friend. I consider this time to be well spent. Life is about choices, spend your time well.

Great posting Hulk!

I would like to say that some people are able in times of grief and loss to reach out and help others. A friend received a life-saving transplant last week, and I can't imagine how a grieving family could be so generous, and wonderful to donate a loved ones organs and save lives. My friend could live a month, or live 30 years, but either way it's only because of the kindness of others.

None of us know how long we have, so making the most of it, and enjoying yourself when you can is so important.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

1 members found this post helpful.

You can expect life to end soon or go on forever, and it isn't always the way it works. I try to have fun and be happy every single day, because you never know. It's a "rule" in our house that you never leave without saying I love you, you never hang up the phone without saying it either, you never go to bed mad and you never send someone away in anger. It works for my family-- who right now in the house is just me and my mom and step dad, but brother at college too (skype and phone!).

All the time. After an accident in 2003 and approximately 2 years of physical therapy, I was back to as good I was ever going to be however, my ability to ride, fish, kickbox, etc was compromised. One evening I called my brother and whined about poor me, blah,blah, blah. He quietly listened and said, "Ya know, your alive for a very short time but your dead a really long time." That shortened my pity parties a LOT.

We are born alone and we die alone. What we do in between is up to us.
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

Once upon a time I felt sorry for my self because I was Dx'd with something and had to have a pretty radical surgery.

While waiting for my turn I met a lady who was there her DD who was iirc 4. Her DD had been born missing the gaps in the skull ( sorry don't know the medical name) so when she grew and her head/brain grew she need surgery to put some sort of plates in. This would be her 5th surgery. WOW did I feel selfish... Imagine how short the little girls life may have been..
    When I went back 15yrs later, I was there for a week n half or so. I saw someone who looked famular wasn't sure couldn't put my finger on it where I had seen her before.. It turned out it was the mother of the girl. The girl has lived with limited disabilities that were very mild that were only noticeable if you knew her well. The mother told me that when she heard what I was facing she felt she felt what her DD was small compared to what I was.
    It is amazing who we look at someone else and feel the same and what we are going through is nothing compared to the other person.
    Friend of bar .ka