The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hives questions-- fly spray?

Both of my horses have hives this morning. Big, flat raised areas, mainly on the belly.

The pony used to get into weeds and end up with hives frequently her first year here, but has sense wisened up and hasn't had a problem in about 4 years. Her puffy areas today are mainly on her stomach, with some streaky-looking ones on her hips and shoulders.

The TB doesn't eat anything that she's not sure of, but she always reacts very badly to bug bites. We had problems a lot last year with her rolling in thistle, and she'd end up covered head to toe (except her belly, since that isn't usually on the ground) in big, flat, puffy patches every week or two... but they all had a hard, sticky center. Her hives today do not have the hard center, and are ONLY on her belly. She's not nearly as bad as the pony.

So I'm wondering... I don't think it's weeds, though I did let them down in the woods for a while yesterday, and things are just now really starting to grow up. I need to mow if I can get hubby to take care of the stupid tractor tire....

But yesterday the farrier was here, and he wasn't satisfied with my fly spray (the flies are TERRIBLE already, thanks to yet another warm winter). He sprayed them both with Pyranha, which I've never used before. Has anybody had a horse have a bad reaction to Pyranha or any other fly spray? I usually use Bronco and haven't had an issue. But the mare got sprayed a LOT more than the pony, and her hives aren't as bed... could she just be less allergic?

Anyway... if Pyranha is to blame, is anyone aware of an ingredient in it that isn't common in other fly sprays?

Thanks so much!
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

Do you which Pyranha spray he used? Some have Permethrins in them and one of our horses has broken out in hives due to the permethrins. Their Zero Bite spray does not have permethrins, but most of their others do.

We have since gone to only sprays that are all natural ingredients. Hopefully this summer will be better.

My pony has the same problem with fly sprays, I realized after I'd spray him and suddenly he's covered in hives and I'm rushing around hosing him and giving him Benadryl. I had to start using all natural fly spray since most others would cause him to get hives. The only ones that didn't were bronco, and any of the marigold ones (there are a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head.)

Had a horse react with hives to Citronella, which is in all natural fly sprays. I guess citronella can cause hives in people too.

Pyranha is a pretty heavy duty fly spray--that's why people like it, myself included!--but it can cause issues with some horses. I think it's more due to the carrier(s) than the pyrethrin or the permethrin, both of which are really found in nearly every fly spray out there and are the "main" ingredients.

One of my horses has had that reaction to Pyranha before. I stopped using it for awhile, but nothing works nearly as well for the flies, so now I use it, but just spray her really lightly with it and she seems to do fine. She's also on a supplement that seems to help allergies (she gets hives from bug bites, etc). My guess would be that it was from the flyspray!

I can't use pyrhanna even though it works great because my horses have the same reaction.
    \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

Thanks, all. They were both looking much better this morning. I'm just gonna stick with Bronco... it may not be as effective, but I don't mind reapplying four times as often since they don't react badly to it. I'm kind of gun-shy about trying anything new now!
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

My horse got hives from that because it had lanolin in it.

Pyranha sprays/wipes with the yellow labels are based in oil, petroleum to be specific which MANY horses are reactive to. Your Bronco and most other sprays are based in water. Bronco is lower priced because it has a pretty low level of insecticides and other active ingredients in it. I really like Mosquito Halt because the combo of ingredients and levels work very well. And it doesn't bother my truly thin skinned Arab.

chicamuxen