The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Agreed..

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I forgot three more of my favourites:
    Helen Mirren, Geoffrey Rush, Daniel Day Lewis
    I love their faces.

I'm still wondering how Gwyneth Paltrow was voted most beautiful woman.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    Love: Meryl Streep, Don Cheadel, Bill Macy, Charlize Theron, Robert Downey Jr., Jamie Foxx, Michelle Williams, Javier Bardem, Edie Falco, Allison Janney, (although want to hate but cant) Christian Bale, and (also really miss) Heath Ledger.

Cant stand: Huge Grant, Keanu Reeves, Gweneth Paltrow, Nick Cage, Ryan Gosling, Shia Labeouf, Winona Ryder, Tom Cruiz, Charlie Sheen, and everyone on the cast of Friends

On the fence about: Sanda Bullock, Angelina Jolie, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, David Duchovny, and Kristen Bell.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    Most beautiful? I don't know about that. But I think she's quite beautiful and unlike many other actresses, *I* think she has a grace to her look. I can't really put my finger on it. I feel this way about Cate Blanchette as well.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Who does the voting, anyway? I don't read People unless I'm in the doctor's waiting room and they never have issues newer than 6 months.

But I'm pretty ignorant about most of current pop culture anyway! (Don't feel I'm missing out on much).

I think the point is that Gwyneth is a bit self-absorbed and "entitled", in addition to the fact that she is "no raving beauty." Not that THIS (genetic endowment) should be celebrated--but that she seems to think well of herself and has encountered few legitimate hardships in life. Again, NOT that this should "factor in" to what constitutes earning this (um) "title."

I agree with most of the other posters WRT the actors I love, deplore, and go "huh"? about in terms of their popularity (though I do have a soft spot for Sandra Bullock , and IN ADDITION, I think that Gwyneth was overrated in Shakespeare in Love, AND feel that the fact that this movie WON THE OSCAR over Saving Private Ryan was the "greatest robbery since the Brinks job."
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

2 members found this post helpful.

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Did you ever see Matt Damon in The Talented Mr. Ripley? Holy s%it, he was terrifying. He is a great actor.
    Agreed. He nailed the character to a T. I read the Mr. Ripley books a while ago and had to stop due to my overwhelming feelings of disgust, inability to stop turning the pages and whole body discomfort from the tension. They are a very well written unpleasant read about an amoral murderer that's always on the edge of getting caught for his crimes, but just manages to avoid it because of playing the failings of the people involved to his advantage. I was a little worries they'd tone it down in the movie version, but the whole production was great. Jude Law was spot on and Phillip Seymour Hoffman! Wow. His character was exactly like that in the book.

Vin Diesel always plays the same character, but fortunately I like it, so I tend to enjoy his movies.

Robert Patterson can't act his way out of a paper bag. Ditto for Megan Fox. I don't see them having a long film career.

And DH and I just rewatched Inception the other night. I keep trying to figure out why it works so well. Why I never get bored watching it. This time, instead of getting sucked into the whole cerebral elements of the film, I paid attention to the individual actors. I realized what a great job Cillian Murphy did playing the contained businessman. And Ellen Page communicating how afraid she is. And how every time Marion Cotillard makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when she looks over her shoulder and says, "What are you doing here?"
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
    I think the point is that Gwyneth is a bit self-absorbed and "entitled", in addition to the fact that she is "no raving beauty." Not that THIS (genetic endowment) should be celebrated--but that she seems to think well of herself and has encountered few legitimate hardships in life. Again, NOT that this should "factor in" to what constitutes earning this (um) "title."

I agree with most of the other posters WRT the actors I love, deplore, and go "huh"? about in terms of their popularity (though I do have a soft spot for Sandra Bullock , and IN ADDITION, I think that Gwyneth was overrated in Shakespeare in Love, AND feel that the fact that this movie WON THE OSCAR over Saving Private Ryan was the "greatest robbery since the Brinks job."

I agree with you - Saving Private Ryan is an excellent movie.

I don't know who gets to vote either. I was just curious - she's lovely but I wouldn't say she's the most beautiful woman.
    I get People for the crossword puzzles.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Who does the voting, anyway? I don't read People unless I'm in the doctor's waiting room and they never have issues newer than 6 months.

But I'm pretty ignorant about most of current pop culture anyway! (Don't feel I'm missing out on much).

Quote Originally Posted by OnThinIce View Post
    Robert Patterson can't act his way out of a paper bag. Ditto for Megan Fox. I don't see them having a long film career.
    I don't know about her, but if he had any kind of a decent agent, he probably never needs to work again.

Quote Originally Posted by nhwr View Post
    re Diane Keaton;

Reds, Marvin's Room and Looking for Mr Goodbar

You should check them out.

She was in many Woody Allen movies because he was in love with her.
    Also liked this movie, at lot, but not necessarily for Diane Keaton. Remember Richard Gere's character? Another rather one dimensional actor really good at playing the hot sexy man, but I am good with that. Will watch his movies for that (American Gigolo anyone??)

For those who want to see Keanu Reeves step out of the Bill & Ted character, watch 'My Own Private Idaho' with River Pheonix.

Kevin Bacon is the one actor that I will watch any movie he is in. I no longer see the actor, but the role he is playing. Met him at a hunter pace once (used to ride with Golden's Bridge in CT). Now that man can rock breeches!
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky

I don't know who gets to vote either. I was just curious - she's lovely but I wouldn't say she's the most beautiful woman.
    I am reminded of a funny argument between Roger Ebert and one of the film critics who appeared on his show. I think it was Ebert who said an actress (Aishwarya something?) was the most beautiful woman in the world, and the other critic disagreed. They went into this whole thing where Ebert said she had to be at least in the top three, and the other guy said top 15, maybe. His response was something like , "Top 15?!? Are you crazy?? I'd like to see the other 14 you'd put ahead of her!!" Too funny.

RIP, Mr. Ebert.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    That's funny. I think she was excellent in two of my favorite movies (Emma and Shakespeare in Love), and I enjoyed her guest spots on Glee, but I think she's a pretty annoying person.

I remember reading a description of her that I thought was perfect: Born on third base, but she thought she hit a triple.
    I loved her in Emma, one of my favorite movies, actually. She was also very good in "Sliding Doors".
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.