The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

I like to think the mark of a truly great actor is when they 'disappear' in the role. Where despite the famous face or voice all I see is the character and believe them as the character. Like Leonardo DiCaprio in Blood Diamond. Or in The Departed. That's a good example. I believed LD and Matt Damon's characters, but Nicholson was just Nicholson being a crime lord. Matt Damon was so slimey and repugnant, despite the boyish facade and likeableness in other roles.

Actresses that come to mind off the top of my head that can disappear are Meryl Streep, Marcia Gay Harden (loved her performance in Mystic River), Laura Linney and Francis McDormond.

I detest Dane Cook with a passion. Suffered through a few movies where he was cast as the romantic interest. I kept wondering why he's was headlining at all. The only movie I could tolerate watching him in was Mr. Brooks, where he played a slimey scumbag and thought perfect! There's your niche.

Will Farrel is another unwatchable.
    This it be all wot we want in life, wenn peoples dey loff us. ~ Willem

5 members found this post helpful.

Don't hate me, but...

Anne Hathaway. She makes me shabby. I don't get the appeal.

Tom Cruise is a definite no go for me. Can't (won't) do it.

Speaking of people who play themselves, Kurt Russell. Always Kurt Russell, pretending to have different experiences. And this is coming from someone who will watch Overboard whenever it's on.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't see the appeal of Adam Sandler. He always seems to play the same, baby-voiced dopey character.

Meryl Streep is amazing.....anyone see The Iron Lady? What I love is that she plays unglamorous and sometimes unlikeable women.

Keanu Reeves, oh God is he awful! Very monotone and no facial expressions.

It seems to me that a lot of American actors are just celebrities, while those from the UK are real actors (must be all that theater training). And they sure don't mind getting ugly for a role.

Not a huge Robert Downey fan but I do think he's pretty good. And I also thought Drew Barrymore was great in Grey Gardens.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post
    I don't see the appeal of Adam Sandler. He always seems to play the same, baby-voiced dopey character.

Meryl Streep is amazing.....anyone see The Iron Lady? What I love is that she plays unglamorous and sometimes unlikeable women.

It seems to me that a lot of American actors are just celebrities, while those from the UK are real actors (must be all that theater training). And they sure don't mind getting ugly for a role.

Not a huge Robert Downey fan but I do think he's pretty good. And I also thought Drew Barrymore was great in Grey Gardens.
    LOL, I guess that's why most of the good leading men are Canadian or Australian or British
    the accent does not hurt either!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    David Caruso (I always want to call him Kelly something, I think that was his NYPD blue name)
    Remember when he bailed on NYPD Blue (before his contract was up?) because he thought his movie career was about to take off?

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

2 actors that come to mind who I think are crazy great, like "forget who they are and everything else they've ever done while watching whatever current movie": Joaquin Phoenix and Daniel Day-Lewis.
    Blow my mind every time.

It's hard for me to make a list of current day actors/actresses who I think can't act, pretty much because I don't want to spend the rest of the night typing. I generally think most movies are so poorly acted that they could be a parody. I did LOVE Skyfall recently, after never being a big Bond fan.

People I don't like enough to skip their movies:
    Jennifer Anniston and Will Farrel. Also, pretty much the entire Seinfeld cast.... ESPECIALLY Julia Louis-Dryfus or whatever her name is... just, blech.

People I strangely LOVE for no apprent reason:
    Steve Bushemi and Russel Brand. They're not hot, but for totally different reasons they always entertain.

And, my most recent movie hotness - who I could watch read Dr. Seus aloud if he will do it while wearing no shirt: Chris Helmsworth.... *wipes drool from screen*

There's a lot of actors I don't care for - and some that just play themself really well (and much as I admire the heck out of Tom Cruise as a person, he's on my list) there's so few I can truly get a hate on for.

My latest favorite - and anyone who recently watched the series "Mr. Selfridge" will no doubt agree: Gregory Fitoussi. Droooool. Too bad he won't be back for season 2.

re Diane Keaton;

Reds, Marvin's Room and Looking for Mr Goodbar

You should check them out.

She was in many Woody Allen movies because he was in love with her.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

I pretty much refuse to watch any Adam Sandler movie, but watch Punch Drunk Love. It's an amazing movie, and he is amazing in it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrantanaKC View Post
    2 actors that come to mind who I think are crazy great, like "forget who they are and everything else they've ever done while watching whatever current movie": Joaquin Phoenix and Daniel Day-Lewis.
    Blow my mind every time.

It's hard for me to make a list of current day actors/actresses who I think can't act, pretty much because I don't want to spend the rest of the night typing. I generally think most movies are so poorly acted that they could be a parody. I did LOVE Skyfall recently, after never being a big Bond fan.
    DDL studies his role and becomes that person and lives that character for the entire filming.
    For Last of the Mohican's (LOVE that movie...watch it over and over!), he lived in the wild and dressed and ate as Hawkeye. For My Left Foot, he lived in a wheelchair. For Gangs of New York, he studied with a butcher. He is an amazing actor!

Agreed on Daniel Day Lewis and have to add Benedict Cumberbatch, especially in Parade's End. Also, love Cate Blanchett. Guess I'm partial to the Brits.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

One actor that I thought was too hyped up until I saw him in a few things is Colin Farrell. He was great in Phone Booth and loved him in the film In Bruges.

Philip Seymour Hoffman is also very good, IMO.

The Seinfeld cast can only play their Seinfeld characters, it seems.

This post was supposed to be about actors we don't like, but anyone else like Idris Elba (Stringer Bell in The Wire, and Luther?)

One actor that I thought was too hyped up until I saw him in a few things is Colin Farrell. He was great in Phone Booth and loved him in the film In Bruges.

Philip Seymour Hoffman is also very good, IMO.

The Seinfeld cast can only play their Seinfeld characters, it seems.

This post was supposed to be about actors we don't like, but anyone else like Idris Elba (Stringer Bell in The Wire, and Luther?)
    I've only seen him in Prometheus and I think he did a good job.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

RD Jr. was recently in non-blockbuster Due Date and did a fabulous job. His early comedies are pretty good as well.

Gwyneth Paltrow, fashion icon. How many years of that did we suffer through? And for what - a skinny rich blond girl with a famous, rich dad. So, basically all she did was survive birth and not eat for a couple decades and she suddenly becomes the it girl of her day. And that smirk...

Ryan Gosling. He looks like every other gym-bodied Hollywood actor of his age. With the worst taste of movies.

Christian Bale. Cheekbones alone do not constitute a reason to stuff a boring English actor down our throats for 20+ years.

Zach Galifianakis. The only rule for the sole successful fat actor of every generation is that he needs to be funny. Fail.

Bradley Cooper. Cute, inert. Deathly boring and has had more chances than most.

Kevin Spacey. Once promising, has de-evolved and that process started a good decade ago. Stop inflicting him on us.

My worst offenders:

Rob Schneider. Just yuck. Hayden Christensen. Especially as Anakin Skywalker. Paul Walker. Painful. Totally agree with David Caruso.

Madonna as an actress. She definitely should stick to singing. Denise Richards. No explanation needed. Sarah Jessica Parker. Ditto. And Halle Berry is an absolutely gorgeous woman, but a terrible actress.
    Please don't hate or discriminate. Chestnut Mares everywhere will thank you.

"Don't let the turkeys get you down."

I will confess to NEVER understanding why Brad Pitt is popular. He looks like he has never taken a shower in his life. Plays the same part in every movie. Just - no.

For actresses, Meryl Streep does nothing for me, except when she is being funny (Devil Wears Prada, Death Becomes Her.) I think she has a great comic gift, but when she is being "serious" I just feel like I'm watching Meryl Streep being Meryl Streep THE AMAZING OSCAR WINNING ACTRESSS.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by OnThinIce View Post
    I like to think the mark of a truly great actor is when they 'disappear' in the role. Where despite the famous face or voice all I see is the character and believe them as the character. Like Leonardo DiCaprio in Blood Diamond. Or in The Departed. That's a good example. I believed LD and Matt Damon's characters, but Nicholson was just Nicholson being a crime lord. Matt Damon was so slimey and repugnant, despite the boyish facade and likeableness in other roles..
    Did you ever see Matt Damon in The Talented Mr. Ripley? Holy s%it, he was terrifying. He is a great actor.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post

For actresses, Meryl Streep does nothing for me, except when she is being funny (Devil Wears Prada, Death Becomes Her.) I think she has a great comic gift, but when she is being "serious" I just feel like I'm watching Meryl Streep being Meryl Streep THE AMAZING OSCAR WINNING ACTRESSS.
    I totally agree.

I also don't get the appeal of Julia Roberts, Bradley Cooper, Anne Hathaway, and Jennifer Anniston. All meh.

I generally don't care for Jack Nicholson either, but he was fantastic in About Schmidt. Ditto Drew Barrymore... with the exception of Grey Gardens.

2 members found this post helpful.