The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by suz View Post
    you liked drew in grey gardens? I though it was horrid, lol.
    Actually, if you watch the REAL "Grey Gardens" documentary that the Drew Barrymore/Jessica Lange film was based on, it's absolutely amazing how spot-on Barrymore was as Edith Bouvier Beale ("Little Edie"). Voice, mannerisms, even appearance. And I'm definitely not a Drew Barrymore fan. Like MyGiantPony, "Grey Gardens" is the only film she's made that I bothered with.

3 members found this post helpful.

I also loved Grey Gardens and thought Drew Barrymore did an outstanding job as Little Edie.
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”

2 members found this post helpful.

Jennifer Anniston, playing Jennifer Anniston, playing someone - gagging noises! She simply cant act.

Tom Cruise - not a fan. Only movie of his that I like (and where he doesnt play himself) is War of the Worlds.
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Dazednconfused View Post
    Are you crazy?!? Have you seen Bridesmaids or Pitch Perfect? I haven't seen her in any awards shows or anything so maybe she doesn't translate, but honestly both of her characters in those movies I found to be hysterical...
    I saw her in Pitch Perfect. I thought she was given crap material to work with (as were all the other actors, with the exception of their song book) and that her character was unnecessary. I've liked her sense of humor in interviews, but I don't enjoy what I've seen of her in films, which I think is less her than the scripts she's given.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    I also loved Grey Gardens and thought Drew Barrymore did an outstanding job as Little Edie.
    Nothing against Drew Barrymore, but the one who really knocked it out of the park in that role was Christine Ebersole on Broadway. The eleven o'clock number where she sang about the realization that she would never be able to walk away from her situation was enough to break your heart.

IIRC, she played Big Edie (the mom) in the first act, when they were wealthy socialites living in the lap of luxury, and then played Little Edie (the daughter) in act two, when their circumstances had drastically changed years later.

That was a remarkable show.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Actually, if you watch the REAL "Grey Gardens" documentary that the Drew Barrymore/Jessica Lange film was based on, it's absolutely amazing how spot-on Barrymore was as Edith Bouvier Beale ("Little Edie"). Voice, mannerisms, even appearance. And I'm definitely not a Drew Barrymore fan. Like MyGiantPony, "Grey Gardens" is the only film she's made that I bothered with.
    Totally agree, her best acting to date!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

^ Christine Ebersole was equally spot on compared to the documentary. And she was doing it live, eight shows a week.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    ^ Christine Ebersole was equally spot on compared to the documentary. And she was doing it live, eight shows a week.
    I have never seen those shows, she sounds like a great actress!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    I have never seen those shows, she sounds like a great actress!
    She is fantastic! I've seen her in a couple of different shows, as well as in concert once. She is talented beyond belief.

And the eight-shows-a-week thing- I can't even imagine being in the audience that much, never mind actually performing it!

Those Broadway performers who can sing, dance, act, and absolutely slay you every time are almost like members of another species.

Hmmm full frontal Viggo?? May have to watch that one.

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    I thought he was fantastic in Teachers (but I suppose that's been a few years)

Yep, can't stand him (Will Farrell).

He and Jim Carey for me fall in to the same category -- I either love their movies or hate them... there's no in between. Hated Billy Madison and Big Daddy ... loved I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry.

You're thinking of Hildalgo. Viggo is a favorite of mine so I have to defend him. A Walk on the Moon is one of my most favorite movies (plus... Viggo butt!), he was amazing as Lucifer in The Prophecy and as Nikolai in Eastern Promises (which included full frontal Viggo!!).

Good list - Brad Pitt?? Didn't think he was very good in Jesse James but thought he was great in Seven or maybe it was Morgan Freeman helping out?? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sophie View Post
    After reading this thread I've been raking my brains to find an actor / actress that I really enjoy in whatever role they are playing.... it's the end of a work day and I'm fried.

Plenty of actors/ actresses that I don't like have already been mentioned.

Some, I like in some movies but not others.

So, actors with a big range?

Dustin Hoffman
    Meryl Streep
    Tommy-Lee Jones
    Charlize Theron
    Penelope Cruz

Keira Knightley she is the same person on a ship, along side King Arthur, Or in a English Romance. I dont even want to see a movie if shes in it. Which stinks because I like period pieces and she is in alot of them. No range at all.

I agree about Drew Barrymore in Grey Gardens, it was her best work.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    yes! I watched the documentery immediately after watching the movie and was amazed at how spot on Drew was. I don't think she's gotten due credit for that role.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    The sex scene between him and Maria Bello in A History of Violence. Holy wet panties Batman.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    yes! I watched the documentery immediately after watching the movie and was amazed at how spot on Drew was. I don't think she's gotten due credit for that role.
    The Grey Gardens documentary is well worth a look for its own sake. Those ladies were... something.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    Can you say "disappointed"...

LOL Thanks for the input in Viggo - one good one bad............

And Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan couldn't be further from Big, either.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    You must not have seen "The Road to Perdition." It is a very different Tom Hanks. I think his character and performance "Philadelphia" are a far cry from "Big," too.

4 members found this post helpful.

I thought TH was quite good in Castaway. Not easy having nothing but a volleyball to talk to.

Meryl Streep is amazing to me. I also really like Robert Downey Jr., but I wish he would do a non-blockbuster soon. His Chaplin was excellent.

11 members found this post helpful.

Cate Blanchett. Love her. Her Elizabeth gave me goose bumps.

7 members found this post helpful.