The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ridingagain View Post
    Keanu Reeves - not only plays the same part, but can't even act. How does he even keep getting roles? Can you say "wooden"?
    He had a cute a$$
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

4 members found this post helpful.

Jennifer Aniston breaks new ground. So far as I can tell, the entire acting career was actually invented to make the woman the subject of People magazine covers.

I think she was crafted to be a pretty version of the average woman doing things like getting haircuts, having boyfriends and getting pregnant or not. But you must admit that most of what she does isn't on a screen of any size.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

In all fairness, Hollywood does not want actors to change their MO.

Cute guy/gal, play it til the wheels fall off.

I actually do like Julia Roberts. She looks like hell warmed over, without makeup, etc, but she can turn it on and light up the screen. As for range...well...

Tom Cruise? Have not watched a movie of his since Days of Thunder. It's always Tom Cruise in different clothes...

When actors do go outside their type, they usually get slammed.
    (and Keanu Reeves, well, he did a pretty good job in Point Break, speed was good. I have not seen much else, it's a far cry from Bill and Ted's or Parenthood - a hilarious movie with Steve Martin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    Can we agree that if Keanu Reeves is wooden (even if I still watch his stuff), that Kristen Stewart is the female version? BLECH!!
    I agree. And she earns extra points on the "most annoying" scale by her apparent attitude off screen. She managed to land a plum part in a series of movies that most actresses would have killed for, and she behaved as if the whole thing was nothing but a giant annoyance for her.

The Twilight movies were obviously going to be huge. If she didn't want to deal with the whole package involved, she could have just skipped the part. I'm pretty sure they could have found somebody else who would have been happy and grateful for the part, and no less talented at acting, without much of a search. They probably could have found such a person working at the local McDonalds.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Alagirl,

Oh, yeah, Speed. Yum. He looked buff. Keanu CAN look good. Or COULD. Not sure anymore if he can get that cleaned up and buff again--or wants to.

Same with Point Break.

Yep. He was worth the price of admission to look at his bod.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

3 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I agree. And she earns extra points on the "most annoying" scale by her apparent attitude off screen. She managed to land a plum part in a series of movies that most actresses would have killed for, and she behaved as if the whole thing was nothing but a giant annoyance for her.

The Twilight movies were obviously going to be huge. If she didn't want to deal with the whole package involved, she could have just skipped the part. I'm pretty sure they could have found somebody else who would have been happy and grateful for the part, and no less talented at acting, without much of a search. They probably could have found such a person working at the local McDonalds.
    She made the character even more simpering and obnoxious than the one in the books! Really? She couldn't speak a full sentence with out spluttering and halting when the character in the book at least had some sarcasm and wit on occasion?

Oh, and lets not get started on ANY of the other characters and actors. SO bad. Was that their fault or the director's fault? I mean to ALL be that bad? Then again, the story didn't give anyone much to work with. And you have to wonder how anyone could have said some of those lines with a straight face. And then there are the fights and all that growling and showing fangs.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

5 members found this post helpful.

Tom Cruise and Nicholas Cage..
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

For the person who doesn't understand the appeal of Jennifer Lawrence....I agree that you need to see Winter's Bone. She was excellent in that movie. Completely natural and convincing. I also liked her in Silver Linings Playbook (haven't seen The Hunger Games).

I agree about Tom Cruise. I don't even consider him an actor. He is a movie star.

I don't think Scarlett Johannsen is a very good actress. She is another one that always seems to play the same part. She's beautiful, but I don't think much of her acting.

Quote Originally Posted by tabula rashah View Post
    Tom Cruise and Nicholas Cage..
    It's funny, Nicholas Cage was exactly who I thought of when this thread started, but for the life of me I couldn't remember his name.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Kristin Stewart. Don't get it. Attractive, but no appeal and no apparent ability.

Robert Pattinson is another one whom I really don't think is a great actor, but who knows, maybe he is with decent material to work with, and I haven't seen him in it. I do think he's freaking hilarious off-screen (I want him to co-host an awards show with Jennifer Lawrence. She is not only a hoot in interviews, but she is crazy talented.)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Kristin Stewart. Don't get it. Attractive, but no appeal and no apparent ability.

Robert Pattinson is another one whom I really don't think is a great actor, but who knows, maybe he is with decent material to work with, and I haven't seen him in it. I do think he's freaking hilarious off-screen (I want him to co-host an awards show with Jennifer Lawrence. She is not only a hoot in interviews, but she is crazy talented.)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by ravenclaw View Post
    For the person who doesn't understand the appeal of Jennifer Lawrence....I agree that you need to see Winter's Bone. She was excellent in that movie. Completely natural and convincing. I also liked her in Silver Linings Playbook (haven't seen The Hunger Games).
    I actually sought out Winter's Bone when I heard she was cast in Hunger Games because I love the books so much that I was hoping Hollywood wouldn't screw up the casting of Katniss.

I don't think Scarlett Johannsen is a very good actress. She is another one that always seems to play the same part. She's beautiful, but I don't think much of her acting.
    I think Scarlett peaked in The Horse Whisperer.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Robert Pattinson is another one whom I really don't think is a great actor, but who knows, maybe he is with decent material to work with, and I haven't seen him in it. I do think he's freaking hilarious off-screen.
    I find him to be very funny and charming in interviews. Completely unappealing in the Twilight movies. Whether it's his acting or the writing, I don't know.

I don't understand why people seem to love this Rebel Wilson person.

I turned on some of the MTV Whatever Awards the other day, and she is terrible.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Sylvester Stallone, Kevin Costner (although I love Field of Dreams), Owen Wilson, Arnold, Luke Wilson.

Katherine Heigle, Jennifer Lopez, Madonna, Gwyneth Paltrow (who seems to be a lovely person, I just don't think she can act), Drew Barrymore (with the exception of Gray Gardens), Kate Hudson.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Sylvester Stallone, Kevin Costner (although I love Field of Dreams), Owen Wilson, Arnold, Luke Wilson.

Katherine Heigle, Jennifer Lopez, Madonna, Gwyneth Paltrow (who seems to be a lovely person, I just don't think she can act), Drew Barrymore (with the exception of Gray Gardens), Kate Hudson.
    That's a mighty fine list.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    Robert Pattinson is another one whom I really don't think is a great actor, but who knows, maybe he is with decent material to work with, and I haven't seen him in it. I do think he's freaking hilarious off-screen
    I read an article not that long ago that said he drives an old Suburban or pickup truck that he bought for cheap (like $2,000 or less) from someone on Craig's List.

I don't have an opinion on his acting....I don't think I have ever seen any of his movies. But he does seem like a nice, funny person. He could do a lot better than Kristen Stewart!

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Gwyneth Paltrow (who seems to be a lovely person, I just don't think she can act),
    That's funny. I think she was excellent in two of my favorite movies (Emma and Shakespeare in Love), and I enjoyed her guest spots on Glee, but I think she's a pretty annoying person.

I remember reading a description of her that I thought was perfect: Born on third base, but she thought she hit a triple.

Quote Originally Posted by ridingagain View Post
    Keanu Reeves - not only plays the same part, but can't even act. How does he even keep getting roles? Can you say "wooden"?
    The only movies I liked him in are "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" and "The Day the Earth Stod Still". In "The Day the Earth...." he played an unemotional alien, and I thought "What a fitting role for him!"

I also hope she's already been mentioned, but the lead girl in Twilight- really? Does she had any personality? Is she that bored with life?

ETA: LOL, I see I was about the 6th person to mention Kristin Stewart. Carry on.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

Julia Roberts...Yeck!
    Nick Nolte...no one can explain his popularity to me.
    Bette Davis...pop-eyed and odd looking.
    The guy in ELF! Absolutely boring.
    Adam Sandler...Yeck and unfunny.
    Any "actress" with a sex video.
    Vigo Morgenstern (except for Lord of the Rings and the horse movie I'm forgetting)
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"