The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Actors: What's the appeal of this guy or that girl?

Mine:

Diane Keaton. Is she the "every woman" of Woody Allen's world? She plays the same and average kind of upper-middle class white chick in every movie.

Yours?

Or can you enlighten the poster with the "what's all the hubbub, bub?" question about their chosen actor?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Julia Roberts - She's not a great actress and people think she's SO gorgeous. *gag* Really? I know of many other actresses I think are much prettier and fit in the beautiful or gorgeous category.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

5 members found this post helpful.

Hubby & I are hard-core classic film buffs (& I was raised by classic film buffs as well - my mother's library of books on film is awesome).

It's a difficult question since even the very worst actors still have fans, supporting the "personal preference" idea, but in just my opinion, it really boils down to "range".

For instance, Robert De Niro is an actor with an extremely wide range. He can play all sorts of parts - pretty much "becoming" each character.

Now Al Pacino, on the other hand, tends to have a limited range. Not that he's a bad actor, but in every part he somehow is always Al Pacino "playing" each character, not becoming it.

Diane Keaton is also an actress with a limited range. Excellent actress, but she'll always be Diane Keaton "playing" a part. She can't seem to escape Diane Keaton. Julia Roberts is of course in a lesser league than Keaton, but again - same limited range. She'll always be Julia Roberts "playing" a part, but there's no escaping Julia Roberts.

Reading this back, I hope it makes sense to somebody besides me - lol!!

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    Reading this back, I hope it makes sense to somebody besides me - lol!!
    Yes, it makes sense and get to the heart of my question.

You have to admit that Julia Roberts showed some range in Erin Brokovic (sp?). Otherwise, I agree with you: She has always been herself working up to playing the chick version (and love interest) of Hugh Grant in Notting Hill. Hugh Grant is always hired to be himself.

So if Diane Keaton has a limited range, how/why was she in every Woody Allen movie? Is it:

A) There really are a million every-woman's like Keaton, so Allen always needed one?

B) He adored her or her type and didn't actually need any different kind of woman in his movies, ever?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

mine: Jennifer Anniston

Plays the same type every time, and makes tons of money doing it.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post

So if Diane Keaton has a limited range, how/why was she in every Woody Allen movie?
    Woody Allen is FAMOUS for starring current girlfriends/lovers in his films - regardless of their range &/or talent. If you start with his earliest stuff, you'll note that "Louise Lasser" (of "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" fame) has prominent roles. They were an item back then. Same goes for Diane Keaton. He & Keaton were an item for a number of years, during which she starred in all or nearly all of his films made during that period. He ended up marrying Mia Farrow, & look how many of his films during that time starred her?

I don't know about Lasser, & of course the situation with Farrow went into a complete & vicious meltdown when Woody hitched up & eventually married Farrow's adopted daughter Soon-yi, but I believe that he & Keaton remained good friends after their breakup, although I don't think she was in any of his films after they parted ways.

1 members found this post helpful.

^ May I just say, Woody Allen completely grosses me out.

I firmly believe that actors/athletes/politicians/celebrities are entitled to a private life, and what they do after hours is none of my business. But once in a while, somebody goes so far over the line that I have to make an exception to that rule. Case in point, Woody Allen.

I saw a funny/horrible picture of him a few years ago, where he was at some function, absolutely leering at Scarlett Johansson (one of his recent "muses"), with his current wife/former almost-stepdaughter next to him, glaring at him. Ick!!!

15 members found this post helpful.

Regarding the appeal of this guy or that girl, I wasn't a particular fan of Jennifer Lawrence, saw her in both The Hunger Games and Silver Linings Playbook and thought she was perfectly competent in both but not sure she was anything special. But after watching clips of her from Oscar night I love her! So unaffected, such a breath of fresh air:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJmhsJ5T5L0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJkX-OuNOcM
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

6 members found this post helpful.

I have never, not once, not even in the 80's/early 90's before he went all psycho - understood the appeal of Tom Cruise.

I avoid his movies at all costs. Except for Minority Report - but that's only because I"m a Philip K. Dick fan.

9 members found this post helpful.

I didn't want to be the first to suggest that Allen, a landmark in American film, was just putting his girlfriends in his movies. Very garage band, eh?

Oh, and another "every woman" that makes no sense to me: Meg Ryan. She is always herself and nothing deep, interesting or challenging. I remember her as "Betsy" on As the World Turns at the very beginning. The character she played was a doof, but I assume that was the writers, not Ryan.

It bums me out that the world wants to watch 2-dimensional women on screen. Of course, there are many unchallenging men, too.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Hugh Grant is always hired to be himself.
    I love this quote. I always say "Oh look, its that movie where Hugh Grant is bumbling and helpless and then Julia Roberts/Sandra Bullock comes into his life and turns him into the perfect man!"

Because that's basically the plot of every Hugh Grant movie.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Keanu Reeves - not only plays the same part, but can't even act. How does he even keep getting roles? Can you say "wooden"?

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ridingagain View Post
    Keanu Reeves - not only plays the same part, but can't even act. How does he even keep getting roles? Can you say "wooden"?
    Agree 100%. He's just... TERRIBLE.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    I love this quote. I always say "Oh look, its that movie where Hugh Grant is bumbling and helpless and then Julia Roberts/Sandra Bullock comes into his life and turns him into the perfect man!"

Because that's basically the plot of every Hugh Grant movie.
    You know the old saying: If it works, don't fix it!

Though I will say they tweaked it just a hair in the Bridget Jones movies, which was a nice change. Not that his character wasn't similar to other ones he's played, but at least for once, he didn't end up with the girl anyway.

Unfortunately, when Hollywood finds a combination or personality that "works" in one movie, they tend to recreate it ad nauseum. I mean, Hugh Grant's persona was kind of cute the FIRST time. Same with dozens of other one dimensional actors.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Agree 100%. He's just... TERRIBLE.
    I enjoyed him in Speed.

I don't know if I've ever bothered to see him in anything else.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ashton Kutcher. OK, he was funny in That 70's Show. But that was his zenith.

7 members found this post helpful.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

The one that gets me is Renee Zelwiger. CANNOT stand her. Was extremely irritated when she was cast in Appaloosa (love Ed Harris and Viggo Mortensen so I had to watch the movie but I swear I cringed every time she was on, much less when she opened her mouth).

Can we agree that if Keanu Reeves is wooden (even if I still watch his stuff), that Kristen Stewart is the female version? BLECH!! Snow White and the Huntsman could have been SO much better. At least the rest of the cast (Charlize Theron!!!) carried the movie so you didn't notice her much.

I do enjoy most of Meg Ryan's stuff, even if it is pretty predictable. As for Jennifer Lawrence... see Winter's Bone. The girl is good as well as being a wonderful breath of fresh air in an otherwise self-absorbed profession.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

6 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I have never, not once, not even in the 80's/early 90's before he went all psycho - understood the appeal of Tom Cruise.

I avoid his movies at all costs. Except for Minority Report - but that's only because I"m a Philip K. Dick fan.
    YES! Agreed! How does he keep getting jobs? He can't act his way out of a wet paper bag!!! And, blech, he's not good looking and he's starting to look to altered by cosmetic surgery. Ewwww....

Can we all just boycott his movies so he get kicked out of Hollyweird?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

4 members found this post helpful.

I love George Clooney but feel the same - it's George Clooney playing.......whoever. He really does have the boyish charm thing down pat tho.
    I detest Angelina Jolie but I did think she was pretty good in Chameleon.
    The ones that really get me are the reality show stars. What is so great about any of them??