The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cats: "Living off the fat o' the land."

IME, opportunism comes with the cat-territory. You know, kitteh will hang with the highest bidder... the person with the best cat food, the safest front porch, the cleanest sheets.

Tell me about your cat's exploits. Will your cat walk in anyone's house looking for handouts?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Really? No one has a cat who lives with them because they are just the best deal currently offered?

An ambitious cat will look for what other neighbors have to offer-- a dogless home, someone who will buy them cold cuts, a bed next to a window that's always open and gets some sun.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

My cats don't go outside. But most of them will watch and try and sneak food off another's plate if they can get away with it. (I have to be Cat Food Police at mealtimes.) And Oliver is Daddy's Bestest Friend in the Whole Wide World if Daddy's breakfast menu contains meat, and sometimes even when it doesn't.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Really? No one has a cat who lives with them because they are just the best deal currently offered?
    I'm quite certain that my newest one came to me because I'm the only one that has a small hole in the privacy fencing along the back of my yard (I back up to a small field). She was very hungry, cold and desperate, and was able to get in my yard...so waited at the back door for someone. I am convinced that if she had been less hungry, she wouldn't currently be a resident. That said, even though she (barely) tolerates my dogs and is just now interacting with the other residents (some 3 months after coming to live here), she has no desire whatsoever to try to escape. At least she's smart enough to realize that the food supply never goes away here...
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

Mine are also inside only, so they don't have much choice in the matter. Three of my four are purebreds that have never been outdoors, and so have no clue about dis ting called "outside". Two might be kind of curious (but they're satisfied sitting in windows), and the third would be completely horrified (since "outside" doesn't come with a queen sized bed, curtains, or his blankey). The fourth was a stray who has no desire to go back outside. She's walked out three times in seven years, and promptly turned around and came right back in..."Whoops, forgot, no canned foods out here. Let me in."
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Mine are also indoor-only. I wouldn't let them out because too many predators live near our farm, and DH feels like outdoor cats are menaces to the environment.

I did hear about the critter-cam cat study that showed a percentage of cats have more than one family, though.

Quote Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
    I did hear about the critter-cam cat study that showed a percentage of cats have more than one family, though.
    As a marro fact, I knew a cat who lived this way for several years. The cat had two families and two names. Neither knew the other existed. Cat didn't say anything.

The one family I did know had enough chaos with kids and whatnot that the cat seemed to show up often enough to make them think that he was exclusive to them. Apparently, the cat put on the same show for the other family down the street.

Must have been a hell of a schedule.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

Default I have two rather newbies

so we are still in the getting to know you phase. However, both are rescues. The tuxedo, I have decided will be Garbo, and the naming of this guy is worthy of a book I won't bore you with. He seemed to be lonely as he would go crying through the house, seemingly looking for a friend. Well, I got him on. a 'lost' kitty at the big rescue here. He is said to be 8 years old. He is a beautiful tabby, and very friendly and at ease here. Makes me sad someone lost such a nice cat, and didn't look harder for him. I am going back and forth on this one's name as Bosco or Tater. He is short coupled and takes small steps. Both are friendly, and look out the window but so far I don't want them outside.
    Another killer of threads

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    As a marro fact, I knew a cat who lived this way for several years. The cat had two families and two names. Neither knew the other existed. Cat didn't say anything.

The one family I did know had enough chaos with kids and whatnot that the cat seemed to show up often enough to make them think that he was exclusive to them. Apparently, the cat put on the same show for the other family down the street.

Must have been a hell of a schedule.
    A bigamist! Sounds like something out of a sitcom.

StG

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh, Larksmom, PLEASE call him Tater!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Mine sticks close to home...she's older and wiser after a close call with a hawk. She lost her friend that day.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Default Bosco or Tater

I was immediately struck with Bosco for some reason. Think Seinfeld. But he is SOLID and HEAVY. Since he is sort of small, I was thinking of a Tater, as most of my current pets have foodie type names. Well, at the mo, that means the dog. My mom really likes Bosco, but I am leaning toward Tater. He is pretty cute. I am trying to get a premium membership so I can post pix of my cuties.
    Another killer of threads

Quote Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
    A bigamist! Sounds like something out of a sitcom.

StG
    He was a bigamist!

Other details of this happy situation:

The family I knew gave him some kind of complex Mythology/NerdDorkFantasyGame kind of name. The other one had some little kids that named him Fuzzy. D'Artagnan (or whatever)/Fuzzy just.didn't.care.

Apparently, however, he did have regular schedules at each house. So the cat would whine for food around the same time every AM with these people. Then he'd go over to his other home for the day.

The dad/dude of this family was a nice and whacky guy. I believe this was his 3rd wife and he had a whole butt-load of kids. He also studied mating patterns from an evolutionary perspective and was fascinated by how/why we humans are fascinated by the talk of monogamy and the (almost universal) walk of polygamy that we all do in one lifetime.

All this is to say that his family could discover some cat bigamy and not mind.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Mvp, I've had a couple come live with me, because they prefer my house. I nearly always acquiesce.

Sigh, once, I didn't, these folks made a big stink about how they really, really loved this little long-hair calico kitten they dragged home from somewhere. What the little calico wanted was me. I sent her home and they kept her outside, only shelter was under the porch, only food was what she could grab from the other cats and the dog. Poor little thing vanished. Probably owl-bait.
    So I'll likely never send another one home again.
    If a kitty wants to live here, it can.

I am also where cats come to have kittens. I've had any number of cats show up for the sole purpose of having kittens on my bed (and, on one memorable occasion, in through a window, onto my lap in the easy chair - and promptly gave birth)
    Quite often they start visiting home again when the kittens are 8 - 9 weeks old and have left me completely when the kittens are 12 weeks or so. Left to themselves, it is the very rare cat who will wean her kittens before 12 weeks.
    Sometimes Momma Cat stays and as often as possible I will get her spayed while the kittens are still little (I do not ask the owners, even when I know who they are, I just spay them as soon after birth as the vet will do so.)

Twice, I had a cat move out on me.
    Once the cat had moved in about 8 months before. Just strolled up the driveway, high-tail greeted the dogs like she owned them and started stropping my legs. Boldest, friendliest little handful of half-grown cat you've ever seen.
    Well, we were getting ready to move just down the road for the winter - our house was gutted (it's a work in progress) and I was able to rent a place just down the road very cheaply so I didn't have to winter in construction.
    Come spring, bold little fluffball would not move back with us!
    I walked down there and carried her home every day for 2 weeks, till some other folks bought the place. Then I explained to them that it was our cat and to just call if she showed up.
    They fell madly in love with her and there she is now!

The other who moved out was a VERY feral kitten that couldn't be caught at this barn, so they were going to shoot her so as to not watch the poor little thing starve.
    I managed to catch her - wow, was she scared! - she hissed, bit, clawed, shrieked and released her anal glands on me!!
    But feral young kittens tame down astonishingly well if you know how, and she spent the next 5 years as my living scarf. Hubby used to tease she was my parrot cat, because of the amount of time she spent glued to my shoulder.
    Then, one day in late spring, she vanished!
    I was beside myself, searched everywhere, called, beat myself up endlessly that I let her outside.
    Six months later - I see her across the field! I call her and she turned and left. A month after that, she came home and got the royal, prodigal cat treatment, and was her old affectionate self. I tried to lock her in and track down where she'd been, but 2 days later she managed to vanish and I never found out anything.
    Since then, we figured out that she'd living feral in the scrapyard next to us. They never see her or feed her. For whatever strange cat-reason, she's gone feral again. We see her every few months and she recognizes us, but won't be caught or even petted. To this day, I've no idea why.
    Last edited by Riverotter; Apr. 23, 2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: spelling

My little Pudgelina Poopwiler (aka Molly) is limited to outside on the catio only. So, she gets me as her provider or no one! I do remember one of our cats becoming our neighbors cat when I was a kid - he clearly preferred them over us. Not sure why but seeing as he was nasty with us, we weren't that sad to see him go!
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

My big calico girl likes to sneak into my parents' house and eat the Purina Chow they feed their cats. She blows her diet at least once or twice a month-- luckily their cats are pretty greedy so there's never too much left out at once.

We also have a big semi-feral, no longer a tom, outdoor cat, and he really does make the rounds. He has breakfast at my brother's house and dinner at my mom's pretty regularly, but I've also seen him in the training barn (a quarter of a mile away) and the neighbors' place several farms away-- over a mile and across the road. The nearest neighbors have a cow farm and a bunch of kittens at any given time and the last time I was over there the kittens looked suspiciously similar-- white with dark patches and gigantic heads. We recently trapped him and neutered him so I'm hoping he sticks closer to home in the future. He must move pretty quickly as I've seen him a mile away and then he's been here only a couple of hours later. If he weren't so distinctive I wouldn't have believed it!

We have 3 that live in our barn and are considered "ours." But we regularly seem to have new ones show up. Every time one comes into the barn, I catch and get it fixed then bring it back. They tend to hang around or come and go (and are likely bigamists) but they are welcome when they show up - as long as they don't beat up "our" cats.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.