The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default House cleaning: Your signature style?

I just did a round of this yesterday. That means something just short of taking everything out and power washing it.

If I'm going to clean, I do one room at a time and clean the bugger.... move furniture, whatever it takes. Of course, I don't give several rooms the "scorched earth policy" treatment at once.

How do you do it?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Every other week I dust and scrub whatever (baseboards, doggy snoot marks from doorways, cabinet doors) needs it, but not everything because that would take too long! I just did a big fridge clean-out last week and it looks sparkling clean! Every week I do a basic clean-the-bathrooms-and-vacuum, and sometimes I vacuum mid-week. If we're having company I mop and clean the upstairs. When the windows get dirty with dog-nose & paw marks I clean them. I guess basically when I can't take it anymore with something, I go for it!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Generally, I either (a) close my eyes or (b) turn my head.

21 members found this post helpful.

My mom cleaned houses for ages when I was a teenager and up until my dad passed away. I worked for her a lot on holidays and over summer breaks. So, I KNOW how to clean house...

But I don't do it like that.

I keep my kitchen and bath pretty clean (usually) because I don't like dirty kitchen and bathrooms. I HATE to dust so do it rarely. I also hate vacuuming but do it more because I live/work on a horse farm, track hay and shavings and horse hair everywhere, and have a dog and two cats.

When my mom visits, she and I will often whip out a "Mom-cleaning" where baseboards get wiped down, glass doors get cleaned, etc. Thankfully, my house is TINY, so this takes the two of us an hour, at most.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm very religious about house cleaning...I do it when the Spirit moves me. And apparently the Spirit isn't big on house cleaning.

I used to care...but 50 years later? Not very much. Besides, DH doesn't care. I could clean like crazy and he's just going to putter around on the computer and read a book. I refuse to become his "staff".
    Ride like you mean it.

7 members found this post helpful.

I take the edge off of things weekly-ish with a vacuum/scrub, dust and put-away. The hubby isn't into routine cleaning, but moves furniture and cleans like a champ when company is coming, or when he's lost something. So when things get too grubby, I either invite people over or hide his stuff.
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

2 members found this post helpful.

my cat is named dust bunny for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge View Post
    Generally, I either (a) close my eyes or (b) turn my head.
    Amen.
    My bathroom stay really clean. Because I adopted the use of butt wipes instead of TP I always have disinfecting wipes handy in that room--so I do a wipe down of everything pretty often.

My house is part of the barn. I discovered the use of a broom last night. True story. It was amazing. I'm used to waiting until the floor is pretty bad and then breaking out the vacuum.
    I have a cat who doesn't appreciate clutter and doesn't let me leave my dirty laundry laying around...I guess that's a plus?

I'm a thrower awayer...so as a whole, I don't have a ton of clutter.

Other than that-because I live alone and no one cares what the place looks like, I let the clutter get pretty bad. Then do a massive cleaning Monday nights. (Tuesday is garbage day)
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

my cat is named dust bunny for a reason.

We had a house rabbit - her name was Dust Bunny! called her Duster.

Wear sunglasses indoors it won't bother you as much, can't see the smudges, the dust. Blinders are good too.

Seriously I've read (but don't quite practice) that the #1 place to start is the kitchen sink. Clean up that area first. I (suppose .. ) that bath vanity is next ......
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Anyone have a weekly ritual? My step-mom tried to instill the Every-Saturday-Morning thing for the kids dusting and vacuuming their room.

It didn't stick with me. I pick up things/put them back as I go along, but actual cleaning is done in a Scorched Earth Policy way.

How about cooking? I'm a "clean up as you go along" type. The people who create full kitchen wrecks to be addressed later..... I don't get it.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I'm a full time student with a job and a horse. My housemate is a full time student with a job and a dog. I clean the kitchen regularly, at least every other day- clean sink, Lysol counters, clean stove top and drip pans, vacuum. Bathroom I hit once a week/two weeks/when I have time. Vacuum rest of house I try to push off on housemate. He duly tries to push it off on me.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I keep the kitchen and the bathroom clean, picked up and wiped down on a daily basis, swept every other day, mopped, as needed.

The rest -- when company is coming.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I watch Hoarders on TV. Then my house looks really clean!

4 members found this post helpful.

I should add that I married felix unger and my sinks are CLEAN!!!!
    meanwhile he won't ride in any of my vehicles cuz he calls them rolling dupsters.
    hurrumph, I NEED that stuff.

Leave before daylight and come home after dark!!

My approach is simple. I don't.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

1 members found this post helpful.

I go away for the weekend and my husband does it. He won't do it when I'm here. I went away last weekend and I came home to a clean house. It's awful now. I didn't go anywhere this past weekend. I am flying to Colorado Friday morning and driving back so I do expect to come home to a clean house on Monday. I don't know why it works, but it does, so I do it.

I have a toddler... my signature cleaning style is the 'do what you can' clean-up: picking up what's on the floor, wiping down the countertops, and doing a cursory sweep/vaccuum. If company is coming, I might quickly dust. I don't clean corners, behind or under things, and I most certainly don't clean baseboards or windows. I figure when I move out someday I can wash the windows then... and I can just repaint the baseboards, right?

I do get sick of feeling liek I like in constant filth... but keeping things tidy is about the best I can keep up with, since a little person is just following behind me pulling things right back out. My house was really clean by my standards on Friday. I woke up this morning and went whhhhhhhaaaaaattt? When I get in a real cleaning mood, I'll scrub a bathroom, but I never make it past that.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    I'm very religious about house cleaning...I do it when the Spirit moves me. And apparently the Spirit isn't big on house cleaning.
    This is a KEEPER!!! Thank you!

I have a framed note at the top of the stairs "Dull women have immaculate houses." Up until now, that's been my stock answer. Yours just trumped it by about a zillion!
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast