The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Filling grooves in a pine floor

So glad it's still OT day! Was just reminded of a problem with my kitchen floors, when I just spilled a full container of cottage cheese...

Much in this house built by the original owner - some great things - some not so great... Lots of pine, although with different finishes. Lots on the walls (have painted over several areas that had used lower grade pine and were discolored - really is a nice effect), and a nice cathedral ceiling lined in pine.

For whatever reason, they used it in the upstairs floors - have an upside down house, so that is where a large living area, more or less a great room is, containing the kitchen. This open area is enormous - probably 20 x 25.

The floors shrunk over time, and have 1/4" grooves now between boards. NOT good for spills. The floors are stained, and have some kind of protective coating. They are not worn through, but the stain needs to be redone.

Been thinking about redoing them this year by myself. But I'd almost like to figure out a way to fill the grooves. I know someone who painted their wood floor, and I'm almost thinking about that, because whatever you put in the grooves might become unsightly, and once you've sealed the floor, a pain?

If I filled the grooves, any suggestion for what to use if I leave the floors natural? Any suggestion if I fill the grooves and then paint over them?

Thanks to all you remodeling experts!
    Last edited by CVPeg; Apr. 22, 2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: width correction
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

No kind of filler will stay in there permanently. It must have been put down too green to have shrunk that much. I'd take it up, and reinstall it tight. You may have to take up the baseboards to get the floor boards up. Punch the nails through so you don't break the tongues.

1 members found this post helpful.

Keep in mind that you have to have space for expansion and contraction of wood floors. We have larger cracks between boards in the winter when the humidity is low due to the furnace, and the are smaller during the summer. That said, it is very difficult to find a filler that sets hard - most of them stay pretty soft. We had to find a way to stain the filler, and most wouldn't take the color. We finally found some online that came colored and you could also mix in stain to get a good match. I would probably just lift and reset the floor, though it would likely be a bit more work, but it would be permanent. If you decide to go with the filler, let me know and I will go find the stuff I used and give you the name.

1 members found this post helpful.