The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default happy--

secretary staff administrative professional whatever's week!

now, what do i do with my secretary? she's *acutely* paranoid, is convinced everyone's out to get her (her other boss, the other secretaries, the admin head, her landlord, the local police...) and i try to be nice to her but i don't want to be her friend or be the person she keeps coming to and unloading on... she claims she's gone over our admin's head to the other admins in the firm about how everyone's harassing her, and that they've done nothing--what am i supposed to do with her?! have gently suggested that maybe she should keep an eye out for a better position; she claims she can't find anything etc etc. gah!

[/vent]

ok, i'm better now.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    secretary staff administrative professional whatever's week!

now, what do i do with my secretary? she's *acutely* paranoid, is convinced everyone's out to get her (her other boss, the other secretaries, the admin head, her landlord, the local police...) and i try to be nice to her but i don't want to be her friend or be the person she keeps coming to and unloading on... she claims she's gone over our admin's head to the other admins in the firm about how everyone's harassing her, and that they've done nothing--what am i supposed to do with her?! have gently suggested that maybe she should keep an eye out for a better position; she claims she can't find anything etc etc. gah!

[/vent]

ok, i'm better now.
    Get her some Xanax?
    Alis volat propriis.

started with a box of godiva dark chocolate this morning.

poor thing.
    I feel for you both.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Remember, just because she's paraniod doesn't mean people are not out to get her! Maybe you just don't see it? Then again, if she's that miserable, she needs to move on and find another job--if possible.

For Secretary's Day, take her to lunch! Yep, you'll have to talk about everything and anything, but it might help her feel better for one...single...day.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Oregon, sitting on my couch looking out the window at a mountain

A bottle of wine, flowers, and a box of chocolates? If you aren't the type of boss/secretary to already go out to lunch every now and then, I'd skip it (speaking as someone who was an executive assistant for years and had bosses that I'd go out to lunch with and bosses I wouldn't). I think it is awkward to just go out for lunch on this one day, if you wouldn't do it under normal circumstances. An alternative would be for you and another boss to send her and her secretary friend (if she has any left over after her paranoia) out to lunch so they can enjoy yummy food on the company dime.
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Wasn't for my secretary, but when my divorce was over, gave my attorney's secretary/paralegal a gift certificate for a baby/children's clothing store. She wasn't my cuppa tea either, but always talking about her baby. I knew she worked her a** off for my atty, and really needed it. And it didn't involve my personally shopping for a gift. Not sure our tastes would have matched anyway!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Harry and David have great gifts. You can do fruit of the month, a bit pricey, but it is non-threatening and reminds her every month that someone there appreciates her.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Remember, just because she's paraniod doesn't mean people are not out to get her! Maybe you just don't see it?
    oh, as far as layoffs, etc, go, we're all under the sword of damocles at this firm, no question; but as far as relationships, when someone's an a$$hat to me, i think, "this person's an a$$hat" and i just stay away from them. when someone's an a$$hat to my sect'y, she thinks, "why is this person treating me like this? what have they got against me? they're out to get me!" i try and tell her, "no, no, they're a$$hat's to *everybody*!" but she's not buying it.

will have to make sure i get in on a bouquet of flowers for her for Wed....

maybe i should bring her dog treats for her poodles--she knows *they're* not out to get her.

poor thing.
    I feel for you both.

I wouldn't do anything for "Secretaries' Day," or whatever it's called now. She is lucky you're providing her a job, especially if she's half nutty. You, as her employer, are hopefully already treating her well within the boundaries of the employer/employee relationship. It is neither necessary, nor productive, to "be her best friend," and personal hangups really (ideally) should not be evidenced in the work environment. Once upon a time, this was understood everywhere.

All of these "Days" or "Months" are dreamed up either by the Hallmark company as an excuse to buy cards and garbage gifts, or else by advocacy groups who are trying to fund-raise. Validating any of this is a personal option, not necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    I wouldn't do anything for "Secretaries' Day," or whatever it's called now. She is lucky you're providing her a job, especially if she's half nutty. You, as her employer, are hopefully already treating her well within the boundaries of the employer/employee relationship. It is neither necessary, nor productive, to "be her best friend," and personal hangups really (ideally) should not be evidenced in the work environment. Once upon a time, this was understood everywhere.

All of these "Days" or "Months" are dreamed up either by the Hallmark company as an excuse to buy cards and garbage gifts, or else by advocacy groups who are trying to fund-raise. Validating any of this is a personal option, not necessity.
    (insert eye-rolling icon here)

The thread was most likely meant to not be taken quite so seriously, LE. Take a chill-pill already.