The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Durable Schooling Breeches

Suggestions for decent schooling breeches that don't break the bank?

I'm on the downswing of my typical 5-7yr lifespan of my schoolies. I have enough show breeches at the moment, probably should replace those next year, but very serviceable. I am one of the those riders that wears breeches every.single.ride(usually 2-3 horses/day, 5x/wk), so durability is key.

Color doesn't matter. Knee patch preferred, but NOT synthetic patches (do they even use that anymore). Either zip (side or front) or drawstring, no big elastic bands (they never stay up!). I typically fit in a 30L in Devon Aires, Ariats and Tuff Riders. I just received Dover's Spring sale catalog and have a couple things marked, but the shipping kills me...

Can't wait for the recommendations. In the last two years the longest a pair of breeches has lasted me is eight months before wearing out in the crotch. I think I may need to go the full seat route.

what about FITS breeches, they seem quite durable, no?

1 members found this post helpful.

I haven't tried the newer Ariats yet, but I have a pair of All Circuits that are going strong. They were hand me downs when I got them in 2008, maybe? One of my favorite pairs of britches. If they still make them or have something similar, that would be my suggestion.

Love my Royal Highness breeches. Have had them for years. On sale at VTO now (maybe just full-seat though).
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I loooove my FITS Beka Kneepatch Breeches. I ride every day, 3-5 horses, and I've had two pairs for the last year which I usually just rotate between. I would buy more, but I still have other schooling breeches that I can't really justify replacing! They're very comfortable but extremely durable. I wear a 30 Reg in most breeches and I wear a Medium FITS. When they are brand new the stocking part comes below my ankle bone, but after wearing and washing several times it has shrunk a little bit and now is not too long. Love these breeches!

I love my Ovation Euro-weave and Ultra DX breeches. They're shaped well, aren't clingy (I can't stand clingy breeches), and hold up well. I also like that they're a mid-rise. I also have several pairs of Horze Grand Prix breeches that I bought during one of their crazy discount promotions. They're a nice, flattering material that doesn't pucker and highlight lumps, and they seem like they will hold up quite well. The only thing I don't like about them is they are lower rise than I prefer. The full seats seem a bit higher than the knee patch version.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I am partial to the Tuff Rider ribbed ones (regular rise). I rotate about 5 pairs for daily use and they wear pretty well. I even have a pair that's been in use for 8+ years!

3 members found this post helpful.

I second the ribbed Tuff Riders. I've had mine for a few years now, and I wear them in the saddle, as well as around and about, like jeans, also for doing landscaping/yard work. They've held up really well. (And, they don't show beer spill stains after a long day's work!)
    “Always saddle your own horse. Always know what you’re doing. And go in the direction you are heading.” Connie Reeves
    Jump Start Solutions LLC

2 members found this post helpful.

I have a pair of equine couture britches that I LOVE
    I think they run around $70 from Dover. They are extremely long lasting, comfie, and they have nice stitching details

I love the FITS Beka , been slowly replacing my schooling breech collection with them. I show in them too.

I just bought a pair of these: http://www.doversaddlery.com/ovation...at/p/X1-35681/
    and they are awesome. Comfy, flattering and well made.

I don't recommend the Tuffriders. I had heard good things about them, but my thighs rubbing together wore the crotch out in 3 months (I had 2 pairs that were rotating with one other pair of breeches). I think where you tend to wear them out matters though.

Quote Originally Posted by eqsiu View Post
    I don't recommend the Tuffriders. I had heard good things about them, but my thighs rubbing together wore the crotch out in 3 months (I had 2 pairs that were rotating with one other pair of breeches). I think where you tend to wear them out matters though.
    I love my Tuffriders. Yes, I have worn the inside of the thighs out but it has literally taken me like 5 years. I am quite frankly fat so the thighs really rub. I do prefer the low rise as the regular rise come up to my bra band. The low rise hit just above my belly button.
    For whatever reason I have had no luck with the taupe color and have quickly killed zippers in two pairs- one pair after about 5 wears and the second pair on the second wear. I have kept both pairs since I keep convincing myself I will replace the zipper on the first pair and Dover will take the second pair back, if I ever get around to returning them.
    The tan have held up well though- go figure.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I only wear full seats, but will say that I've been very impressed with the durability and fit of the horze breeches. Thick fabric that covers lumps and bumps, washes well, is comfortable to wear around a full day at the barn. They are not pikeur, but for the price I think they make fabulous schooling breeches.

I have 3 pairs of the ribbed Tuff riders low (modified) rise, one pair is full-seat and the other 2 are knee patch. I rotate them, and I also ride in regular jeans from time to time, and my breeches last a long time.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I got some brown Horze full seats last fall and I really like them.

I don't know how you guys go through breeches so quickly! I've had some pairs of mine for literally 8 years. Others I have small holes and just wear them if I do barn work and will maybe hop on real quick

If you don't mind a thicker breech I have a lot of good luck with the dover riding sport breeches. I prefer full seats but they do have knee patches. They are my everyday type, comfortable, and cheap. I like them better than the Horze ones I picked up for 50% off, but they are a thicker cotton. I usually don't have a problem with breech fit, but the horze ones are a bit wide in my thigh and they feel baggy, although they look fine in the saddle.

I really like the Kerrits microcord breeches, but they're not zips, only pullups. But they have lasted VERY well for me, are a thicker sort of fabric, real leather on the knees (I think) and seem to fit well.

My last pair, several years old, only bit the dust because the puppy found the knee patches tastey. Bummer.

If you are a medium or a small, you can try them for $45: http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2...Category_Code=

Irideon full seats! It's all I will buy now. I was riding 7 a day and they held up for years. Very reasonably priced too.