The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lasting hair dye for light to dark?!

My hair is naturally blonde. About a month ago, I had it professionally dyed brown. It lasted 2 weeks or so before fading. A week and a half ago, I redyed it at home. My hair is still a bit darker than normal, but not at all what I want it to be.

Any suggestions for hair color that LASTS? I never knew going from blonde to brown was so difficult!

The home dye I used is Loreal Preference.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

How often do you shampoo?
    Quarry Rat

Every day/every other day.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

I used to use LOreal, and years ago Nice 'n' Easy, but the Ammonia smell was killer, and I don't think it helped my hair thickness problem I'm developing with age.

I use ammonia free types like Garnier, and my favorite Colorsilk. You need to use a color friendly shampoo and conditioner. Red shades or undertones also fade faster because the molecule is bigger (nope don't understand why that happens at all, but all of the research says so). Going from light to dark is tough, and I knew a woman years ago who went from light ash blonde, to her natural dark, and it took a long time to get to the shade she wanted. With the no ammonia types you can redo it yourself as often as you need to, and maybe even use the longer time for resistant greys, in the instructions they tell you how long to leave it. How long did the hairdresser leave it on for? That might be a good guide.

And the other factor I like for the no ammonia types is that they come out of clothing or the towels you use with just a regular wash cycle. I have an old bath towel I use anyway, and sit big poster foam boards to protect the wall when I rinse, and always use a metal sink hair strainer to keep from clogging the drain. You might need to use the touch up method, and then put it on the rest of your hair, so the roots don't end up very dark.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I'm also naturally a light blond and went darker this past year. I had mine colored professionally and it took several (!) colorings before my hair would hold the color well from one session to the next. I guess you have to get the hair strand thoroughly saturated with color. Just about the time we got it to a good point, I decided I wanted to go back to my natural color again. My hair stylist loves me, I'm sure. I just had her dye it darker than I really wanted it and after a few days, it would wash out to a color more like I wanted. I also have to shampoo every day and tried to use color friendly shampoos (although I couldn't tell that they helped all that much).

It also helped for me to have the stylist use "cooler" colors instead of anything with a warmer, reddish hue... otherwise I'd end up with some really icky looking brassy type color after it had faded out.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Definitely you want to go with the ash-based browns rather than golden (which fades out a brassy red). But do not put ash on hair already dyed golden - you'll run the risk of getting green!

I wish I could remember exactly what it was, but I had good luck using some product that was labeled as a "sealer" or "finisher", to be used right after you wash the color out. Got it at the beauty supply store. I had the exact same issue - died it a pretty deep brown color and it faded to a brassy, mousy brown color in a couple weeks.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

If you have a Sally Beauty Supply store or something similar nearby, they can help you with a magic concoction of products that will work well for you. It's a little more expensive than the boxed products at department stores, but it works so much better for tricky hair color situations. I have militantly resistant grey (LOL), but the cheap little packet of Gray Magic mixed in really helps the color last longer. Maybe there is something similar for covering light hair with darker dye?