The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default University of B.C. PhD student looking for inexpensive boarding.

A good friend of mine is moving clear across the continent to B.C., Canada and is looking for a place to board her horse. She's a WP rider, but would be interested in any place that has at least some western riding of any discipline. Her mare is accustomed to full time pasture board, but we figured that wouldn't be an option in Canada since it's a completely different climate than middle GA. TIA for your suggestions!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Whereabouts in BC is she going to be living?

On campus which I think is in down town Vancouver. She said she'd be fine with driving up to an hour or so to get to the place from campus if it's the right fit.
    www.southcross.com

I'm from right across the border in the states, and I've seen tons of boarding farms just south of Vancouver. There's a bunch of inexpensive options on Vancouver craigslist, if she's comfortable with craigslist I don't know any of the farms personally, but there's tons of horses in that area.

1 members found this post helpful.

In addition to craigslist which was suggested, she may want to try checking the BC Horse Council forums.

Unfortunately to get anywhere from the University will be a drive, with the exception of Southlands which has limited turnout and is definitely not inexpensive. She may want to start looking in Richmond, then Delta/Ladner/Surrey and then further out is Langley.

Pasture board is viable in Vancouver, just stock up on rain sheets!

Pasture board is generally seasonal here, because it's too wet the other half of the year. Southlands (closest to UBC) is pricey, but Richmond/Delta is a doable distance and has some affordable options. Some offer pasture half the year (think Crescent Stables), but most offer a combo of paddocks/stall/field. Even cheap full board is $400 at least with just an outdoor. Langley has lots of options but is already at that hour mark. Richmond area will be best geographically as far as a drive from UBC, Delta adds another bridge and/or tunnel, and Langley has all that plus another 25 minutes drive (easily).

Try the hcbc.ca forums and post an ad under "Searching for boarding", as well as craigslist. Also, hogfuel rings here can (not all, but many) get REALLY deep in the winter when it's wet.

Feel free to PM me. I moved up here from FL 6 years ago and went through the same thing -- keeping horses here is different. It's WET, not unlike Florida's tropical season, but it's wet longer and cold and muddier.

Thank you so much everyone! I'll send all this to her and it is very appreciated
    www.southcross.com