The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Prascend question on pricing from Thriving Pet

I've got a friend whose horse has tested positive for Cushings. A lovely older mare and the owner wasn't surprised.

Since Pergolide is no longer available without using a compounding company, and the vet evidently will not write a prescription for a compounding co. the owner has a prescription for Prascend.

I've also got 2 older geldings and I do an ACTH test every spring to see if and when my boys might also have Cushings. I figured I'd plan ahead and check prices on Prascend.

I got prices for a 60 tablet bottle ranging from $137.95 from Smart Pak to a company called Thriving Pet for the same amount for only $105.90. With a difference of $32.05, my obvious choice and hers also would be Thriving Pet.

I've never ordered from them before and am curious if anyone else has dealt with Thriving Pet and what were your experiences.

So that's the question-Anyone dealt with Thriving Pet for anything, preferably a prescription medicine.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

They are a great company. I've been ordering compounded pergolide from them for years.

I've used Thriving Pets also and their prices are very good. They are 12% cheaper than my vet and free ground shipping.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

i used thriving pets from my compounded pergolide and now use them for previcox. i buy my prascend directly from the vet since the price is almost the same. i also buy flea control and heart worm meds for my dog from them. they are really a pleasure to deal with.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Sounds good so far. Thanks everyone for your prompt responses.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Another happy customer of Thriving Pets.

Used to order APF from them all the time.

My question, is why won't your vet write a prescription for compounded pergolide? I was originally urged to change to Prascend by our vet, went to several seminars put on by the manufacturers of Prascend, and felt no burning need to change from my compounded pergolide ( at less than half the price of Prascend) for my beloved Willie -who I have gone to hell and back to keep in good health. (see previous posts Willie, penile amputation/surgeries/founder). He has flourished on the compounded pergolide Gourmeds from Wedgewood Pharmacy, and I felt no need to change to Prascend. My vet concurred.

Just wondering..........
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

eventgroupie2-I don't know why the vet won't write the 'script for the compounded. I do know in the past they have written one for the compounded pergolide for a horse I had about 6 yrs ago. I'm not sure but there may be something that since the Prascend came out supposedly the Pergolide was not to be used anymore. I also know they wouldn't write a 'script for Previcox because there was an equine product out that was the equivalent, Equioxx, but the Equioxx was horrendously expensive as compared to Previcox.

I honestly don't know if they gave my friend the reason for not writing 'script for compounded Pergolide. I'll see her in a couple of wks and she may know.

Hm, actually, if I think about it, the same vet is coming to my place to do my horses this Friday. If I think about it, I'll try to remember to ask her. So far my horses don't need it but I'm having an ACTH run again this yr (I do it annually with any horse in my barn after the age of 17 and earlier if any clinical signs of PPID occur).
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    eventgroupie2-I don't know why the vet won't write the 'script for the compounded. I do know in the past they have written one for the compounded pergolide for a horse I had about 6 yrs ago. I'm not sure but there may be something that since the Prascend came out supposedly the Pergolide was not to be used anymore. I also know they wouldn't write a 'script for Previcox because there was an equine product out that was the equivalent, Equioxx, but the Equioxx was horrendously expensive as compared to Previcox.

I honestly don't know if they gave my friend the reason for not writing 'script for compounded Pergolide. I'll see her in a couple of wks and she may know.

Hm, actually, if I think about it, the same vet is coming to my place to do my horses this Friday. If I think about it, I'll try to remember to ask her. So far my horses don't need it but I'm having an ACTH run again this yr (I do it annually with any horse in my barn after the age of 17 and earlier if any clinical signs of PPID occur).
    The reason your vet won't do it is the same reason my vet won't write it for compounded pergolide. They can't because they could loose their license in doing so. I verified this with a little research so don't blame your vet. They are just trying to do the right thing.

I do not think that my vets would jeopardize their licenses for just little old me and Willie. LOL!!!! My take on it, from just experience, is that when vet's had the exclusive "selling rights" ie you could not get Prascend from anyone but your vet, the vets were all on board for everyone switching to Prascend. I think they were waiting for compounded Pergolide to be banned, but it has not been. Now that you can get Prascend from most mail order places (with a prescription), the vets dn't seem to be so hot on everyone that was good with the compounded Pergolide switching. Like I said, I am not a vet, and I am only speaking from my experience. Seems to me that the drug company that produces Prascend would not have to provide dinner to get people out to hear about how great Prascend is if everyone that was using compounded Pergolide switched? Just saying.......
    stained glass groupie
    www.equiglas.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by eventgroupie2 View Post
    I do not think that my vets would jeopardize their licenses for just little old me and Willie. LOL!!!! My take on it, from just experience, is that when vet's had the exclusive "selling rights" ie you could not get Prascend from anyone but your vet, the vets were all on board for everyone switching to Prascend. I think they were waiting for compounded Pergolide to be banned, but it has not been. Now that you can get Prascend from most mail order places (with a prescription), the vets dn't seem to be so hot on everyone that was good with the compounded Pergolide switching. Like I said, I am not a vet, and I am only speaking from my experience. Seems to me that the drug company that produces Prascend would not have to provide dinner to get people out to hear about how great Prascend is if everyone that was using compounded Pergolide switched? Just saying.......
    I'm not going to argue with you, you asked. Do your own research but there is no doubt at about it. Also look up the FDA rules, it's there also.

I order my Pergolide from Thriving Pets and have been satisfied.

My vet suggested Prascend when it came out and I told her that I couldn't afford it. It was supposed to replace any size dose of Pergolide with 1mg for all horses. Many owners are finding out that this "one size dose" doesn't work for all. According to the Yahoo IR/cushings group, this can be reported to the FDA as a drug failure.

My horse is up to 2.75mg of Pergolide in the spring and may go as high as 4mg in the fall. This would be ridiculously expensive for anyone if Prascend was used.

Vets can get around being bullied into prescribing Prascend by writing scripts for 0.95mg or 1.05mg of Pergolide.

Research I have done (on line, so take it for what it's worth) seems to indicate that one reason that vets are reluctant to prescribe pergolide, now that Prascend is available, is because pergolide is unstable and deteriorates in strength rapidly. The advantage of Prascend seems to be that it alleviates both of these problems.

Also, my vet mentioned the reason that all compounding pharmacies are not the same and that the strength of the pergolide, for what is supposedly the same dose, can vary significantly, from company to company. Compounding pharmacies have been in the news lately, I seem to remember, for the lack of quality control in some of them. Though, it doesn't seem fair to paint all of these pharmacies with the same brush, because of the failures of a few.

I, by the way, am the friend that msj is referring to. So, the information from my vet is hot off the press, so to speak. I just found out that my good old girl's (28 years old by the way, which is why I wasn't really surprised, and why I have the testing done every year) is showing slight indications of problems. I have elected to start treatment now, rather than wait until things worsen. Willem and what Coreene learned taught me well.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Research I have done (on line, so take it for what it's worth) seems to indicate that one reason that vets are reluctant to prescribe pergolide, now that Prascend is available, is because pergolide is unstable and deteriorates in strength rapidly. The advantage of Prascend seems to be that it alleviates both of these problems.

Also, my vet mentioned the reason that all compounding pharmacies are not the same and that the strength of the pergolide, for what is supposedly the same dose, can vary significantly, from company to company. Compounding pharmacies have been in the news lately, I seem to remember, for the lack of quality control in some of them. Though, it doesn't seem fair to paint all of these pharmacies with the same brush, because of the failures of a few.

I, by the way, am the friend that msj is referring to. So, the information from my vet is hot off the press, so to speak. I just found out that my good old girl's (28 years old by the way, which is why I wasn't really surprised, and why I have the testing done every year) is showing slight indications of problems. I have elected to start treatment now, rather than wait until things worsen. Willem and what Coreene learned taught me well.
    Thanks Louise for chiming in. I'm still hoping my boys are going to OK for another year anyway.
    Sue

I have a Cushings gelding who's been on Pergolide for about 3 years. My vet supplied me with compounded Pergolide until last spring when the FDA-approved Prascend was released. Though Prascend appeared to be more expensive, it was actually about the same price as the compounded version because the dosage strength doesn't vary like the compounded stuff did, so you can administer lower doses. I had my gelding on 1 mg of the compounded pergolide. After just a few days on the same 1 milligram dose of Prascend, it became clear that the dose was too high so we cut him back to one-half milligram (half a pill). He has thrived on it.

Another big advantage for me is that Prascend is more stable and doesn't deteriorate in temperature extremes like the compounded version. *So now I can keep it in the barn, rather than in climate-controlled house. For me, Prascend has been superior to the compounded Pergolide.*

BTW, to follow up on horsecatcher's point, here's an article on the subject:

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm....jsp?id=765462

Austin Rider, what a great relief to finally hear some good about Prascend. Thanks for sharing.
    Sue