The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Scotland peeps check in please

My husband and I want to go to Scotland (we've both been there, but not for decades) We would like to maybe stay in Edinburgh and see the Games as well as take a drive in the country.

Our stay would be short, maybe 5 days and if possible include some pony trekking. Pm me if you want, we need advise as to renting a small apartment and the choices are endless.
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

I'm not from Scotland, though my trips there make me wish I was!!!

We have traveled there on 4 or 5 trips over the past few years. I'm not really much of a city person, so we have stayed in the Borders, in a beautiful little town called Peebles. We rent a self catering house there, and then use it as our base for exploring each day. There is so much to see and do -- we've barely scratched the surface, and now that we have favorite places to go, it's hard to fit in new places AND the old places we're in love with!

I will say that 5 days will be rough, with travel and jet lag. The day you get there is pretty much shot, and flights from the US arrive the next day, so if you leave on Monday, you don't get there until Tuesday, and Tuesday is pretty worthless if you've had a long trip. The next day, after a good night's sleep, you will feel better, but it's still rough. By Thursday you'd be hitting your stride, but then you'd be packing up to leave on Friday.... If you are able to extend your trip at ALL, I highly recommend it. I have been to Wales on shorter trips, and it really takes a lot of the fun out of it. My own personal minimum is 10 days, but 2 weeks is a whole lot better, when you factor in all the travel.

There is tons and tons to see and do in Edinburgh. Personally, I'm not a real fan of the castle there -- it seems very commercial, and they have mannequins set up throughout, to depict different scenes -- which just seems Disney-esque to me. Not a fan.

We have had an absolutely WONDERFUL time at the museum, which is just down the way from the castle, and admission is free. I could easily spend an entire day there.

If you have the chance to get out of the city, Linlithgow Palace is a beautiful place to visit. I was particularly enchanted with the fountain, and it looks to me like many Disney characters came from it! It's beautiful, and we spent several hours there enjoying it on our visit.

Regardless of how long you are there, Scotland is an amazing place to visit. Incredibly beautiful!!!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Which museum? The art museum in Edinburgh is definitely spectacular. The historical museum is somewhat less so, IMO.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Gosh.... I'm not sure which museum it was. It definitely wasn't an art museum, however.

Found it absolutely fascinating. We didn't make it to all the floors before the end of the day, unfortunately. I could easily spend an entire day there.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Which museum? The art museum in Edinburgh is definitely spectacular. The historical museum is somewhat less so, IMO.
    The Museum of Scotland was very recently redone and is far better than it used to be!

I can go on and on and on some more about Edinburgh, so feel free to PM me :-D. I went to university there and miss it more than words can describe.

If you're interested in pony trekking close to the city, I'd recommend Tower Farm, www.towerfarm.org . Its accessible by bus from the city centre & you get some great views on their "Braids Ride." The other place I LOVE is Harelow Equestrian Centre, http://harelawequestrian.weebly.com which offers BEACH RIDES! They are for advanced riders only as once those horses get on the sand they are OFF and there is not a lot you can do to slow them down :-D. It is an absolute blast though, the horses are so much fun and you do a beautiful ride in the forest before getting to the shore. I recommend the 1 1/2 hour ride if you can manage it. Both places have proper British cob types, which I LOVE.

As for what to do in Edinburgh/surrounding, it depends what you are after. In only 5 days I'd probably stay in Edinburgh. There are companies that offer day trips to Loch Ness, etc, but they are long days so be prepared for that. It will take about 3 hrs by coach from Edinburgh city centre to Loch Ness.

Edinburgh Castle is well worth a visit and will take the better part of a day. The Whisky Centre next door is good too, and again has been updated fairly recently. Don't bother with the bus tours because the city is so small you can walk it easily. Try to get out to Duddingstone, which is like a village in a city. It has the oldest pub in the UK, called the Sheeps Heid! Walk up Arthur's Seat if the weather is good - the views are fantastic even if you don't get to the top. The Botanical Gardens are lovely especially in the springtime. Walk from the Castle to Holyrood Palace along the Royal Mile. There are a couple of free museums along the way - the People's Museum and the Children's Museum are both worth a visit. I especially love the lower section which is the quieter end closer to Holyrood, and my favourite ever bookshop is tucked away. It does old fashioned childrens books, and I used to spend hours in there rereading my favourites. I also love the Ghost Tours. Yes, they are "tacky and touristy" but oh so much FUN! Most go down into the city vaults too, which is always creepy even if you don't believe in ghosts. I always laugh though because there's one thats right next door to a club called Cab Vol and what people think are "ghosts banging" is actually the base from the club!! Mary King's Close is again, a tourist attraction, but very well done IMO and gives a great "real life blow by blow" of the Plague. Make sure you read some Ian Rankin before you go. I recommend "Fleshmarket Close (Alley in American)" to start. He gives some great suggestions of pubs which actually exist in Edinburgh, such as The Oxford Bar and the Royal Oak (which actually does live music and is one of the few pubs in the city open until 2AM).

All of that obviously came out as I was thinking about it, so sorry if it is difficult to decipher. Again, please feel free to PM me, as you can tell I love telling people all about my favourite city!!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

1 members found this post helpful.

No advice, but I lived there for several years and loved loved loved it!

Try to get to some of the little towns, like Edzell and the fishing towns on the coast.

Edinborough is great, but my favorite city was Dundee. There's a great riding academy in Aberdeen that offered hacks, although I'm not sure if they still do. Find a place that offers pony trekking on an actual highland ponies. They are stinking awesome little-ish boogers!

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Dundee is probably a bit too far away for you for this trip...its a few hours by train. Sterling, however, would be do-able and is a lovely Scottish town. It is way less touristy than parts of Edinburgh. However if you want to get away from touristy Edinburgh it's very easy - stay somewhere on Dundas Street (that is near where I used to live - there's actually a lovely B&B on Eyre Place, which is around the corner from the street I lived on in 4th year) and you can walk to Stockbridge. Stockbridge is kind of like a village within a city and is beautiful, un-touristy, and has some great pubs and restaurants.

Lots of people go to St. Andrews too as day trip from Edinburgh. Problem with that is the nearest train station is Leuchars, so you have to get a bus from Leuchars to the town centre. You can also take a bus directly from Edinburgh, but it would be about an hour and a half I'd think. St Andrews is a beautiful small coastal town but obviously very touristy.

Rosalyn Chapel is well worth a visit.You'll never forget the inside. It literally takes your breath away. You can get a local bus from the city centre, and Rosalyn village is beautiful too. We enjoyed walking around the Glen next to it, which has the ruins which were also in the Da Vinci Code movie.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey