The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default EquiShure MAKING my horse gassy?!

So I'll spare you the backstory novel, but about two weeks ago I started my mare on EquiShure. Nothing else in her diet changed.

She now seems to always have leakage from her bum, like a horse with runny poops. The poops are still "solid" but not nuggets like they were before, more like soft nuggets with a LOT more moisture and drippage after she poops.

Anyone else have a horse get gassy/looser poops on EquiShure?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I'm not surprised, considering the ingredients. Maybe you just need a period of adjustment, or maybe it's not for your horse. I haven't tried EquiShure but I found that other products that are supposed to help with hind gut issues were not right for my horse.

I'm going to finish out the month's worth that I have on hand (got it thru SmartPaks) and see if anything settles down.

That's what I would do. I think any dietary change requires an adjustment period just as with humans.

I agree. I do believe I have noticed a difference in her behavior since starting the EquiShure, so I hope she adjusts to it if that's the case. I'd hate to find something that works for her but gives her runny poops!

If your spring grass has started coming in, there is a chance that is causing the runny poop and not the Equishure.

My guy has had softer poop than normal followed by the same "drips" you are describing for the last few weeks. But we went to a show this weekend where he had to be stalled (vs. living completely in the pasture at home) which obviously forced his diet to change from moist spring grass to lots of hay. His poop firmed up more and more as the weekend went on.

Keep us posted on what you think of the Equishure. I've been wanting to try it as I am pretty sure my guy has some hindgut issues.

They are attempting to eat grass sprouts, but really, we don't have much in the way of spring grass so far, especially not in their paddock. The green shoots are very few and far in between.

ETA: in previous years, her poops have not gotten soft upon the arrival of spring grass. That's not to say it isn't possible, just not her normal, which is why I suspected the EquiShure.

Since you are using SmartPaks, is she getting the whole dose in one feeding? Maybe it would help to spread it out (I believe KER recommends AM & PM).
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    Since you are using SmartPaks, is she getting the whole dose in one feeding? Maybe it would help to spread it out (I believe KER recommends AM & PM).
    I am splitting it up into two feedings. In the smartpaks, the dose is actually 2 wells, so I am ripping the top off 1 well for AM, and then just peel the rest back for the PM dose.

Maybe half the dosage and see if that makes a difference?
    Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.

Check out My Horse Chat!

I am curious as to what the symptom was that made you start the Equishure?
    from sunridge1:Go get 'em Roy! Stupid clown shoe nailing, acid pouring bast@rds.it is going to be good until the last drop!Eleneswell, the open trail begged to be used. D Taylor

If I were to use a product like that I'd introduce it gradually. Bicarb + body fluids = gas most of the time.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleycane View Post
    I am curious as to what the symptom was that made you start the Equishure?
    The short version: we scoped her, she had stomach ulcers, we treated them with gastrogard, rescoped, they were healed, but she still wasn't 100% after that so I'm running a trial of EquiShure to see if there may be improvement (i.e. maybe she had some hindgut issues going on as well)

I noticed this morning that she apparently has come into season over the weekend...wondering if this may be contributing to the looser stool but I've never noticed that with her before.