The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool What are your favorite news resources?

I don't really do TV, unless I get caught at my parents house and bum around there for a bit. I must say I really dislike TV news a lot.

I do however enjoy alternative/different news sources and I follow:

Truth Dig
    Al Jazeera
    Russia Today
    @YourAnonNews (via twitter, obv.)
    Mother Jones
    Feministing
    Citizen Radio
    (I might be missing some)

Also love these people:
    Noam Chomsky
    Howard Zinn
    Adam Curtis
    Scott Noble
    and just recently,
    Adam Kokesh

For their works (documentaries/videos/books - media in general, we'll say) That have opened my eyes tremendously and taught me to question things that are going around in the world today.

So, what/who are your go-to sources of information? Kind of excited for this
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

3 members found this post helpful.

I watch the local news, for the weather mostly and most days if I can the national news, CBS.
    Used to watch ABC for decades, until they became a continuous Obama infomercial.
    All have Obama stories, he is our president, but when the whole newscast is about him, well, that got tiresome quickly.

Otherwise, I don't watch TV.

Some of those you mention are not exactly unbiased news, you get to hear stuff that is really not so, that is their take on it and they have certain agendas behind the way they bring topics up.
    Just because someone has questions, that doesn't mean they are the right questions for what is going on, or even real questions, not fabricated ones.

With so much passing today as news and opinion pieces, our old philosophy teacher would be having a veritable fit, what is presented is so illogical.

2 members found this post helpful.

ah, but I never said they were unbiased.

Everyone has a bias...and I don't believe everything I hear/read/see.

I'll take info and not take it on as absolute truth ...but as something to think about. (lets be real here - who here knows the utter complete truth about reality?)

I hate the one sidedness of TV news, I want to hear the other side(s), not because so then I can latch on to what the other side(s) are saying, but so I can see the story from all sides and I can formulate a more intelligent opinion.
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

My favourite newspapers are the Guardian and the Independent.

2 members found this post helpful.

I rarely/never watch TV news. My favorite news sources are: NPR (I listen daily), BBC, Al Jazeera, Politico. I like articles from newspapers of major cities (NY Times, LA times, Chicago Tribune, etc.) In short, I place a huge premium on journalistic standards and stories from actual journalists. I like facts not commentary. Occasionally I read CNN but I truly think their journalistic standards are not good - I read the site because they mention news items that I can research elsewhere. I used to subscribe to the Guardian/LeMonde for international news but I had to cut back on expenses...
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

4 members found this post helpful.

The Guardian, Al Jazeera, NYT.

NPR has lost its credibility for me. They're in thrall to Wall Street.

I have way too many friends who work for the BBC to consider it reliable.

I also expect the NYT to go downhill with the Ear Biter in charge.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I have not wathed what most folks think of "local old big three" news since about 1987...and then we switched to CNN for years and then in 2005 when the Holy Father john Paul died I quit watching it at all...it was all just sadness and I had had enough...

it's just,so far away and immaterial and petty...I just don't care about the talking heads and their agendas to "give me the news"....

no,news ended years ago now you just give me your ideas,thinly disguised as news...

so unless there is a real national emergency, I don't turn on any news at all on the tv...nor do I let it be played in the house

I do read the "local big three" out of Knoxville as well as the national news on Yahoo every morning....there are also three AG sites I hit for news that matters there....

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesy View Post
    ah, but I never said they were unbiased.

Everyone has a bias...and I don't believe everything I hear/read/see.

I'll take info and not take it on as absolute truth ...but as something to think about. (lets be real here - who here knows the utter complete truth about reality?)

I hate the one sidedness of TV news, I want to hear the other side(s), not because so then I can latch on to what the other side(s) are saying, but so I can see the story from all sides and I can formulate a more intelligent opinion.

I have never watched Fox and those, they are so over the top, but if what you want is diversity of opinions, maybe you ought to consider adding them to the mix?
    NPR and PBS are as biased as Fox, each one on the other end.
    The only difference, NPR and PBS hide their message much better in feel good, interesting stuff.

I agree with Tamara, there is no one out there that is a real journalist any more, that present the news only, without showing their distaste for what they don't like and not going giddy over what fits their own preferences.

I really don't know what they teach in journalism school any more.

I used to get the Atlantic, but they would also the later years let people with agendas run rampant, past what is an opinion to give them a forum for their extreme ideas.
    That magazine didn't use to be like that, you had to have a good story and present it properly, or be clearly fiction.

Maybe the media is reflecting the polarization so obvious today in our lives when it comes to so many important topics.
    I just hope clear heads win when it comes to running the country, not let it become one more publicity stunt.

Default The Week

"The Week" magazine. It is a digest of news and opinion from many sources, national and foreign press. Because it compiles stories about the same issues and events from many sources there is no slant or bias, and you can make up your own mind. The column from foreign news outlets called "How they see us" is particularly enlightening to get an international view of issues in the USA. http://theweek.com/
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I read the BBC news via their Iphone App. Unbiased, and not too wordy. I also keep up African news (especially sub-saharan), and CNN etc are not as thorough as the BBC is.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

NPR. Unlike a lot of the television news, they try not to report things that have not been checked out, or if it hasn't, the reporters say so.

I absolutely do not watch TV (not, oh, I only watch ____. I do not have any way of watching even local networks). My go to is NPR (have it on right now). I will occasionally peek at the CNN website, but, found out the other night that NPR's site was more current, when the second bomber was caught. Saw it on FB first (ugh. I know). Went to CNN on to verify, couldn't find anything. Went to NPR, there it was.

I find NPR pretty balanced and accurate. Maybe they have a little leftward lean (which is cool with me since I am a bleeding heart liberal), but I am always pretty impressed with how hard they try, in their NEWS to stay balanced.

I do like the BBC, though I don't listen to it other than late night when my local NPR station broadcasts it.

http://dp.la/ the new Digital Public Library, and along with www.loc.gov for the Library of Congress, it should be a good research resource.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

http://dp.la/ the new Digital Public Library, and along with www.loc.gov for the Library of Congress, it should be a good research resource.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I watch Fox news. And before you all go balastic, I like that they present a lot of the stories that no one else does. From there, I check out different sources to decide MY opinion on them.

Mostly I watch in the morning to see what happened over night. A little goes a long way...they tend to be very negative. I like a couple of their opinion shows. O'Reilly and Hannity, tho, are so over the top!

I don't watch any of the other "news" programs because I feel they censor too many of the stories in deciding which ones to cover and which ones not to cover. I don't like that. Tell me what's going on, I can take it from there.

Mostly, I find the "news" so depressing and know that I have NO influence over world events that I tend to stick with my horses and my knitting and live in my little bubble. My "knowing" about the world doesn't do me or the world any good; there's nothing I can do about it anyway.
    Ride like you mean it.

Le Figaro
    Le Soir
    France info radio (on almost all day here over the ipad
    The Guardian
    The Independent
    Al Jazeera, both English and Arabic (they tend to have slightly different cultural slants on things on the Arabic language channel and website)

I like getting my news in different languages since I find that bias tends to be cultural, not only political. Plus I get to hear about things other than what is either going on in North America or what directly impacts Canada.

wtop.com
    newschannel8 (which is abc)
    the local fox affiliate (not fox news)
    american university's npr station
    intellicast.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

The Guardian
    Russia Today

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

I agree with Tamara, there is no one out there that is a real journalist any more, that present the news only, without showing their distaste for what they don't like and not going giddy over what fits their own preferences.

I don't teach in journalism school, but I'm in contact with the professors and students every day as publisher/editorial adviser to the university newspaper. And my family has owned newspapers for more than 100 years.

Students today are better equipped to research and investigate than I was when I graduated from j-school nearly 30 years ago. But newspapers - the traditional employers for people who used to do "straight" news - aren't the same. Newsroom budgets have been slashed. Few are hiring. Smaller newspapers that used to serve as stepping stones to larger, more serious newspapers don't really cover the news like they used to.

The revenue model for newspapers is in free fall, and has been for years.

Fortunately a few people are starting to realize that quality matters and are investing in newsrooms. People in the industry are watching carefully and hoping that this reflects a sustainable change.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post

I don't teach in journalism school, but I'm in contact with the professors and students every day as publisher/editorial adviser to the university newspaper. And my family has owned newspapers for more than 100 years.

Students today are better equipped to research and investigate than I was when I graduated from j-school nearly 30 years ago. But newspapers - the traditional employers for people who used to do "straight" news - aren't the same. Newsroom budgets have been slashed. Few are hiring. Smaller newspapers that used to serve as stepping stones to larger, more serious newspapers don't really cover the news like they used to.

The revenue model for newspapers is in free fall, and has been for years.

Fortunately a few people are starting to realize that quality matters and are investing in newsrooms. People in the industry are watching carefully and hoping that this reflects a sustainable change.