The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Baby Fox!

Okay, I know foxes aren't some of your favorites. But, I have one I call Split Ear who has been living in a den in the side of my arena since last fall. In February another fox showed up, who I call Hunter (I have a great shot of him with a prairie dog in his mouth.) Two foxes, springtime... I've been pretty sure there would be babies. Today I saw one. Whether there are more I don't know yet. I must share the cute.

The Wee Fox and Momma

5 members found this post helpful.

I have a den just off my property in the woods. We have6 babies! I've yet to get any pictures but I see them all the time. They are so cute! Last year we had 6 or 7 behind our house.

Momma looks so much longer-legged than I expected.

So cute! I love having foxes around. A good fox is worth his weight in gold for keeping the barn free of rats and mice.

Love fox! Great pictures, guessing only one kit? Get ready for lots of fun watching it grow.

I think those who aren't fans of fox may be those that have chickens, rabbits or barn cats. Usually a good idea to get large barn cats, like Maine Coons. Fox tend to leave cats who weigh more than they do alone. But then not many people choose their barn cats, they just show up.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

Beautiful pictures- and such a lovely mama- all the foxes I've ever seen looked rather mangy and sickly- she is a beauty!

I love foxes! I am so jealous! What great pictures.

We have grey foxes. I HOPE they are making babies.

Who doesn't like foxes?

Here's my fox album from Facebook. You should be able to see it.

I had a family on the north side of the house two years ago. I often wonder if Split Ear is from that litter. I'm really hoping there's more than one.

I really do love them. Not a mouse in the feed room this winter and I often see them with prairie dogs in their mouths. That alone would make them worth any inconvenience.

A good many years ago we had a fox den in our back field. At that time I had a large malamute and a dobie and they co-existed fine. The dogs were not fenced in as we were in the middle of a large tract of timber land and the nearest neighbor was miles away.

Our dogs never left their own property and were fiercely protective of their property line where other dogs were concerned.

This area was used often for fox hunting (follow in the truck kind not riding a horse).

One day I heard hounds on the scent hot and heavy and they seemed to be headed towards our back field. I walked back there and my dogs were there....waiting.
    As I watched I was amazed to see "our" fox run right between the dogs and sit down under a nearby tree with her tongue hanging to the ground.

It wasn't any time til the hounds arrived and crossed the line. The dobie and mal were whipping hounds all over the place and the hounds couldn't leave fast enough.
    When they were all sent on their way the fox got up and trotted off with her tail in the air. I have to wonder how she learned this base was safe and how many times she had done this before.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

11 members found this post helpful.

Aw, cute!
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

We have a family at one end of our pasture. We had some Pine Beetles in a stand of timber beyond that end of the pasture. I had a timber outfit in here cutting the trees. The foxes were living in a stack of old chimney flue liners. I was down there while the cutter was running, showing them where to stop, and the pups scattered out of the flue liners. One bounced off the side of my leg.

A few weeks back, I stirred up last years manure pile with the loader. It was now all nice, soft rich dirt. That night, when I went out to check the water, there was a fox on top of the compost/dirt pile. I shined the flashlight on it and it just looked back at me, so I went in the house and got a camera. When I went back out, the camera couldn't focus because it was too dark, so I shined the flashlight so the camera could focus on the Fox 20 feet away, and it just walked down the pile of dirt, and in amongt the horses. They didin't pay a bit of attention to it. It just ambled on off back towards the end of the pasture where their den is.

Love foxes! I am not supposed to like the red foxes (exotic species, BAD BIOLOGIST!), stop being cute! Our native greys are my favourites though, what is not badass about a fox that climbs trees???!

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Topaz View Post
    Here's my fox album from Facebook. You should be able to see it.
    Oh holy sweet potatoes, I am so, so jealous! I love foxes, and I see them only very rarely on my property. I do have gorgeous bobcats though.
    Well isn't this dandy?

Thanks for all the fox cuteness! No foxes where I live, only coyotes, so I'm lovin' this thread!

Foxes are canids as are dogs. Foxes are great. You just have to watch your chickens and make sure the foxes don't eat them. Foxes will eat fruit and corn and just about anything, including rabbits and chickens and wild birds.

We had coyotes for awhile, they seem to have moved elsewhere. I much prefer the foxes as they don't send the dogs into a tizzy with their yelps. We've also had badgers, including two babies. I have some great pics of them both somewhere on my hard drive. Maybe I'll dig them up.

We had coyotes for awhile, they seem to have moved elsewhere. I much prefer the foxes as they don't send the dogs into a tizzy with their yelps. We've also had badgers, including two babies. I have some great pics of them both somewhere on my hard drive. Maybe I'll dig them up.

Thats cute!! I have a fox den on my property but that fox is on the bad list because he/she killed all of my chickens!! I had 11 and a duck and I lost them all but 1 to the fox
    LILY-13yr APHA/PtHA mare**LUKE-11yr Rescue Haflinger gelding (being leased out)**ANNIE-7yr AQHA mare