The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default dark-black coated manure.

Hello, I am interested in the answer to this as I have heard many things before.

Today when my horse was brought in, I noticed his manure that he freshly produced was very dark colored almost black looking. and quite small formed balls.

I brought my horse out to brush him and went back to pick it out of his stall.

When one "ball" fell on the ground off the pick and i picked it up with my hand (ok, us horse people aren't afraid to pick up our own horses poo barehanded.)

lucky I did. As I noticed that the Dark-almost black coating formed a lacquer that was actually dried and crunchy/crackly on the outside of the poop. the inside was like normal GREEN manure.

I was just wondering if this was a sign of something?

I've heard dark manure could be a sign of ulcers...but since it wasn't dark all the way through I doubt that is it.

I've also heard that mucous covered manure is a sign of dehydration or GI upset.

what do you all think?

Some drugs and supplements (particularly those containing iron) can cause black stools. So can Pepto Bismol, which is used (incorrectly) as a "stomach buffer". Actual blood in the stool, to be BLACK, has to come from the upper GI tract (stomach or small intestine, usually stomach) and is not dark but B-L-A-C-K and it would not just be the surface.

Any recent feed or supplement changes?

I'd probably just wait and see, if that was the only thing you noticed.
    Click here before you buy.

I think your grass just started growing.

My horse's manure just did a dramatic color/texture change when they began to graze more and eat less hay.

If it was any other time of year I would think it might be something else- but I think that is typical for this time of year.

PS- as for touching poop- I worked for a man who once delivered one of his thorobreds to a trainer and the horse kicked some manure into the hinge of the trailer ramp unloading. The staff stablehand just swiped it out with his hand- (rather than wasting time/energy to go look for a broom) and the fancypants owner almost fainted at the thought of it. Many people are totally creeped out by the thought of touching manure- what I think is funny is that they don't think twice about it if that very same manure is attached to a horse's coat when they approach it to groom.

I just noticed this with my mare's poop as well.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Before I even opened the thread I said, spring grass....