The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Moving to TX! In need of a job and a barn for my horse all in one!

I am moving to Dallas TX from NY with my 3 yo hunter prospect, and am looking for an A show barn to both work at and keep my horse. I have experience managing/riding for an A circuit barn. Any leads would be much appreciated.

Do you have any connections in NY that can hook you up with a trainer? The number of cold calls barns get for people looking for work is astounding. 99.9% (bordering on 100%) do not have the skill, qualifications, or ability to do the work they say they can do.

I think you'd probably be better off trying to find a position through people you know.

Have you tried Yard & Groom? I would start there.

I agree with the work through your trainer. Some barns here have working student positions available but it depends on what your definition of work for is. Almost all of them will want to know you can do what you say you can. I personally don't know anyone really looking actively for employees.

I'm way outside Texas, but a trainer previously located here is now in Argyle, Texas, which looks to be a ways from Dallas, but I'll give the website anyway: http://www.brawleyfarmsinc.com/. I know Bob and the whole family from years here, and if I was headed that direction, I'd definitely look him up. Good trainer, lovely rider, and I've not seen the facility, of course, but would expect it to be high end. When my trainer was injured and we had to "borrow" other trainers at horse shows, Bob was the very best dealing with my young, redhead (chestnut and hot) mare as well as the super fancy green beans we had in the barn then. I hold that whole family in very high regard (the others are still mostly here in Oregon).

If you're moving to Dallas, and wanting to work at a barn, I would look into moving to NW Dallas/Flower Mound, as driving to Flower Mound/Argyle everyday is horrible. I'm from NYC and I think this commute is worse.
    Also, same as above posters, work with your connections to set you up with someone here.

Yes, the H/J horsey part of Dallas is primarily in the Flower Mound/Argyle area. There are some good BNTs and barns in that area, but I agree with the others -- try to work with your existing contacts to get a reference to the trainers/barns. Good luck, and welcome to Texas!
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

I live in Dallas and currently ride at a big AA show barn and have boarded at a few others. Feel free to PM me specifics and I will be glad to give you a recommendation for boarding/training. A job would probably have to come from word of mouth or connections. Good luck, and welcome to Texas!!

I'm taking a lesson with Bob Brawley's assistant this weekend. He seems very straight forward and honest. Came highly recommended from my trainer in California who has known him for years. He's been very good about working with my sketchy schedule and making sure I'm accommodated.

I would also suggest Jeff White at White Horse Farms. He's in Prosper and he's a great guy. I ride with him too when I can and he's an excellent coach. His program is intimate and his riders do very well at shows. And he's funny! Goes a long way in my book!

Default Your post is a no no

Since it's considered advertising. I tried a post for co-op boarders and got my hands slapped.

Do I think it matters? Nope, I think it's networking.

But they'll close it.

Interesting, I've made recommendations before and never once been slapped by the mods. Maybe it's the way you're wording it? I'm not advertising for anyone. I'm saying who has been good to me that I've personally worked with. There are probably 5 more threads on here about this exact same subject and they are all still open.

Quote Originally Posted by HRF Second Chance View Post
    I would also suggest Jeff White at White Horse Farms. He's in Prosper and he's a great guy. I ride with him too when I can and he's an excellent coach. His program is intimate and his riders do very well at shows. And he's funny! Goes a long way in my book!
    Really? After years of observing him at shows, I saw nothing but a cruel, unskilled rider with a poor temper. Obviously, YMMV but I'd never let him touch a horse of mine. Perhaps he's changed.

Anyway, yes, Argyle in the place to be. I made the commute from downtown Dallas to Argyle for a few years. Not fun, but doable.

1 members found this post helpful.

Jeff? Cruel? Never. I've never seen it. I've not seen him ride, but I have let his best rider sit on my horse who was having a MONSTER temper tantrum that I couldn't control and while she was angry at my horse she never did a single thing that I disagreed with and he was nothing but helpful to me. And always put the horses first.

Default I'm talking about the OP's post

She is job hunting.

are you moving to Dallas area with horse... with no job?

check out Flower Mound Equestrian Center...big facility...they show a lot...but don't know if they are looking for (paid) help. Not affiliated...just know of them.

this kind of networking probably won't get shut down as poster is not looking to sell or promote anything.