The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I Just Lost My Mind (briefly)

I went to take a shower in my new home. I showered at work on Friday and have been stinkin' it up sumthin fierce getting work done around the house this weekend.

Most of you have read about my having to replace the water heater and not having hot water from Tues through Saturday of my first week here. Also, the plumbing issue.

I turned on the shower and notice it will only get lukewarm. I notice the sink faucet gets hot just fine. Heck, the toilet water was probably hotter than the shower water.

That is when I see red. MY FAUCET IS JACKED UP

I scream and yell and stomp off for a drill, hammer, and various other things I grabbed (too mad to remember). I Google "Delta shower faucet no damn hot water". No joke, it comes up with things, try it. I turn off the water and take after the faucet like a fat plumber on crack. I am cussing the builder and grunting in sheer anger. I am going to the City and finding who built this home, that guy is gonna cry when I am done!

I end up putting it on backwards, tightening it back up, turn back on the water and VOILA! Hot water.

Fargin iceburg son of a biscuit eater mother trucker fudgesicle eating asshat jackhammer.

GAH!!!!!!!!

Now, off to screw on my mailbox correctly so it will stop flapping in the wind
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    I went to take a shower in my new home. I showered at work on Friday and have been stinkin' it up sumthin fierce getting work done around the house this weekend.

Most of you have read about my having to replace the water heater and not having hot water from Tues through Saturday of my first week here. Also, the plumbing issue.

I turned on the shower and notice it will only get lukewarm. I notice the sink faucet gets hot just fine. Heck, the toilet water was probably hotter than the shower water.

That is when I see red. MY FAUCET IS JACKED UP

I scream and yell and stomp off for a drill, hammer, and various other things I grabbed (too mad to remember). I Google "Delta shower faucet no damn hot water". No joke, it comes up with things, try it. I turn off the water and take after the faucet like a fat plumber on crack. I am cussing the builder and grunting in sheer anger. I am going to the City and finding who built this home, that guy is gonna cry when I am done!

I end up putting it on backwards, tightening it back up, turn back on the water and VOILA! Hot water.

Fargin iceburg son of a biscuit eater mother trucker fudgesicle eating asshat jackhammer.

GAH!!!!!!!!

Now, off to screw on my mailbox correctly so it will stop flapping in the wind
    Glad you fixed it. Our shower in the guest br is doing the same thing so I'm going to google what you did. Thanks!
    It's only when a mosquito lands on your privates that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence. fb meme.

The beauty of google.

I installed a motion sensor light switch in my bathroom yesterday, or attempted to. I wired it in and it was stuck ON - no off (better than stuck OFF, right?). Thanks to dear Father Heinz, it now turns both on and off AND fits into the junction box.

twotru, did you not get a home warranty on your new house? I don't know why I didn't think of it when I read your earlier post, but if you did and the HW heater is included in that maybe you can get reimbursed.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

2 members found this post helpful.

-applause- good for you!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Wait..so are you sure you needed a new hot water heater to begin with? Or am I being dense and that's what this post was about..?

1 members found this post helpful.

Heinz, the home was built in 2009 but then foreclosed on. It has sat empty for 3 years. To my knowledge, all warranties are over. I am going to check in to going after the builder for his plumber leaving the test plug in the line. We will see
    The Knotted Pony

LOL!! The old water heater did not heat. The new one was installed yesterday which is why I have hot water now. The faucet on my shower was installed funny and only went from cold to lukewarm instead of cold to hot.
    The Knotted Pony

Aww the joys of home ownership.... Hahahha!!!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Yeah, I'm over it

But, I still love my little place. But I'm gonna hunt down that builder.
    The Knotted Pony

Local electrician put an overhead motion light high up in the barn.
    Would you assume he tested it?
    We do, with a glove or tape or something over the magic eye opening.

Night comes, light doesn't work.
    Electrician sends a different fellow and the first one had forgotten to take the little protection cover off the magic eye opening.

I expect he won't live that one down for long time.

Awesome! Glad you got your shower. And, I'm impressed. It usually takes two of us around here to solve those tough house problems in a hairy scary way. DH and I, neither of us mechanically inclined...though he THINKS he is, which makes it worse .

Bluey, that guy probably wired my house *sigh*

Canaqua, I think I dated your hubby. One time he went out and bought this fancy pants riding lawn mower for a teeny yard. That man stalled it, hurled rocks at the house, and broke belts like he was shooting rubber bands for competition. I had to finally put belts on for him.
    The Knotted Pony

Heinz, the home was built in 2009 but then foreclosed on. It has sat empty for 3 years. To my knowledge, all warranties are over. I am going to check in to going after the builder for his plumber leaving the test plug in the line. We will see
    Ah, didn't know it was a foreclosure. Warranties aren't based on the age of the house; I could have asked for one on my house and it was built in 1940. It would have been something your REA would have put in your offer negotiations (though I'm not familiar with if/how that would work on a foreclosure). Here's a decent article about them: http://www.quickenloans.com/blog/home-warranties-work

In the various offers we wrote when shopping (think we looked at/offered on 3 others before this one), most included a 1 year warranty to be paid for by the seller.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Remind me to never take house shopping advice from you!

But I will take your advice on creative swearing.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

5 members found this post helpful.

I will go look but I know I bought it "As is".

Velvet, the house is brand new and from what the many construction and plumbing experts are saying this is normal for a new home, things pop up with use. My problem is it was foreclosed then sat for 3 years. If I had bought my home in 2009 the builder would be covering all of the issues

My boss who just built a new home and moved in a few months ago has had them out many times for the many oddities that occur when the house gets used. We were just discussing that Friday.
    The Knotted Pony

I will go look but I know I bought it "As is".

Velvet, the house is brand new and from what the many construction and plumbing experts are saying this is normal for a new home, things pop up with use. My problem is it was foreclosed then sat for 3 years. If I had bought my home in 2009 the builder would be covering all of the issues

My boss who just built a new home and moved in a few months ago has had them out many times for the many oddities that occur when the house gets used. We were just discussing that Friday.
    It's worth asking about, you never know!

If I've learned anything in the nearly year I've lived in my house, it's that sh!t breaks whether it's old or new. Our toilet tank spontaneously cracked at 10pm on a Sunday evening. Fortunately, toilets are relatively cheap (~$100) and easy to replace. As much as I'd love a brand new house, I'm really enjoying remodeling and being able to customize things.

what do you mean 'jacked up'?
    I am glad you fixed it and had your hot shower btw!

Check into your local laws. When we lived in Alabama, we had the same situation. New construction, lukewarm shower. And I like a HOT shower. Turns out the city had a ridiculous law that a shower faucet could only be set to allow a certain maximum water temperature--"to protect the children from scalding accidents." Gah. My husband overruled the law and reset the thing. (No kids in the house.) Then he did the same thing for our neighbors. The really stupid thing was, that law ONLY applied to showers. So the huge garden tub right next to the shower could get scalding hot. That, of course, was the faucet a young child could actually reach. The shower controls were much too high.

With low flow showerheads, etc., it has been discovered that if your shower only gets lukewarm (or any other faucet), that the low flow causes a problem, and many tankless water heaters only run to hot when there is enough demand. So a lot of people have to turn on the bathroom faucet, and the shower to get hot water. Great savings of energy isn't it?
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Snugglerug View Post
    Check into your local laws. When we lived in Alabama, we had the same situation. New construction, lukewarm shower. And I like a HOT shower. Turns out the city had a ridiculous law that a shower faucet could only be set to allow a certain maximum water temperature--"to protect the children from scalding accidents." Gah. My husband overruled the law and reset the thing. (No kids in the house.) Then he did the same thing for our neighbors. The really stupid thing was, that law ONLY applied to showers. So the huge garden tub right next to the shower could get scalding hot. That, of course, was the faucet a young child could actually reach. The shower controls were much too high.
    When I am in vermont, Istay in my mom's rental, and I think the local laws had something similar about the water not getting much warmer than tepid tap water. For the children (there have been no kids inthis house since the 70s). We definitely "overruled it" and presto, hot HOT water. YAY!

My husband is very handy, but he has his moments. When I came back from Vt last year a front light was out. He had checked the wiring, blah blah blah, local electrician I called basically told me the house could blow up if there was a short in the line somewhere. What I know about electricity is it runs down hill and don't mess with it!! So a lineman from the power company Mr. LT works for comes out at 0'dark thirty one morning when Mr. LT was at work, and by God he is going to find that problem. HOURS later, the bulb my husband had left us would still NOT work. He is scratching his head and FINALLY says, "got another bulb?????" Yep. Aaaaaaand my husband has STILL not lived that one down - not figuring out the f'ing bulb was blown!

2 members found this post helpful.