The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    If you want to learn about low flow toilets, go to Germany. For decades, they have been about empty while you are using them. They have what my friends called a "display shelf," and every toilet had a scrub brush within reach that the discreet person could use.
    Ahahahaha! The s*** shelf!
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

While reading this, I'm thinking - anything is better than the porta-potties they had at the wedding I went to last fall. And I'm no hot house flower. Fine at a show, or fair - but in my nicest clothes? And it wasn't an informal wedding either. Bowed out after the first dance, which took a good 2 hrs anyway.

Felt bad as this is a good friend I hadn't done much with in years. But also felt something wasn't settling well either, so didn't want to have to run to that often.

And sorry for old friends I hadn't seen in awhile, who drove in from out of state, and were staying with the groom's parents - who lived a long drive from the out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere reception. They were stuck!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

oh hell yeah--whenever visitors to my barn gripe about the state of the bathrooms, we say, "hey--flush toilets and cold and cold running water--beats porta potties!"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I like the new ones I've been seeing where pushing the handle up is for pee and down is for, well, other stuff .

ETA Ha I even have a picture! I thought I had one...
    We have these in my building at work and they work very well. Never have had to flush twice, and they save on water.

Quote Originally Posted by ellebeaux View Post
    We are in a brand new LEED certified (or whatever they call it) wonderful building. Except they have the light sensitive toilet flushers. I call them ghost toilets because a ghost is constantly in there flushing them. Kinda reminds me of Hermione's friend, what was her name? Weeping...??
    I also work in a new LEED building in VA with crazy flushing toilets, soap that randomly squirts out, and towels that come out of the dispenser when you don't need them.

What city are you in? I think I'm the only one here who rides, but I could be mistaken.

1 members found this post helpful.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Our mucked up government at work again. Low flow toilets that need to be flushed multiple times. Low flow shower heads that mean you either have to stand under the water twice as long to get clean or you take more baths.

I think the only toilets that make sense are the ones with low flow for one situation and more water for the other. The rest is stupid. Get rid of low flow shower heads. I can't get the soap off my body or hair!
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

My solution to low flow shower heads is to replace with the hand-held ones. It's easy to change, and the shower head has real power. Plus, cleaning the shower or tub, or washing a dog is really easy with the long hose on it.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Something like 12 years ago, I went on a church mission trip to North Carolina. We stayed at a church on the way overnight. They had those horrible low flow toilets that don't even completely empty when you flush. Well, I had some, um, tummy issues before we left. I must've spent 15 minutes in the stall, flushing and flushing trying to get everything down. No luck. Mind you, I'm a 15 year old teenage girl in a group of teens that I don't know (everyone else was from a different church), so embarrassment risk was high. I finally admitted defeat, and waited until there was no one to see me coming out of the stall before making my escape. Then one of the leaders came in to check that the bathroom wasn't a mess before we left. She went into the stall I'd been in and started hollering about disrespectful teens not even bothering to flush. She didn't know who it was, but it was so embarrassing.

(On the bright side, I'm sure she got to experience the horror of trying to flush something that WON'T FLUSH, and maybe she understood the situation. I certainly wasn't going discuss it with her.)

Moral of the story: Save people the embarrassment and only get toilets that flush properly.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintPony View Post
    I also work in a new LEED building in VA with crazy flushing toilets, soap that randomly squirts out, and towels that come out of the dispenser when you don't need them.

What city are you in? I think I'm the only one here who rides, but I could be mistaken.
    Harrisonburg, but I know there are several in my building who ride

OH we have those goddawful paper towel dispensers also. They have ghosts too!

They drew the line on the soap dispensers. Not sure why.

There's a King of the Hill episode out there on just that subject. I think you can watch it if you have Amazon Prime or Netflix.

It was called "Flush with Power".