The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Well, I drove 100 miles round trip to pick up a hat my dear Mr. CC ordered, only to find it was the wrong hat and color (gee...a quick look in the box might have saved me a long drive Mr. Store Owner...grr), but we then stopped in a small town along the way and found the place we are going to get married this summer---a park right on the Columbia, tiny, green, full of flowers, private and right across the road from a fabulous brew pub for a post ceremony dinner! Perfect!!

A couple of days ago, though, I did something I'd never done before: on a run in a park in the middle of town (500 acres), I encountered a yearling black bear. He was calmly making his way down the hill toward the creek off the trail I was on. 20 feet from me and my dog, who was perfect, silent and alert, but stuck to me like glue. It was awesome!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

1 members found this post helpful.

Rolled down a hill, in the grass -- ticks be damned! I haven't done that since I was a kid!!! We were all laughing and the dogs thought it was great

I discovered that on a little shelf *right* where the crossies in my barn attach, is the under-construction nest of a wren. I saw her fly by me with horse hair in her beak and into the nest. I keep trying not to look at is so I won't scare her, but it's pretty cool!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I got to jump a Holsteiner gelding. He managed to jump me out of the tack. His jump is sooo round. It was my first time jumping a full warmblood in many years!! Even though the jumps were small, I had so much fun!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Today I painted a ton of fences for the first show of the season. And cantered a friends three year old Oldenburg filly for the first time.
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

My butt fitting into my "size smaller" jeans for the first time in a couple of years.

My daughter AND my BFF's daughter finding dresses, together, with no tears, yelling or drama. That is DEFINITELY a first!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Yesterday I saw a pack of serious road bicyclist pedaling down the road. Close to the leader of he pack was a man with one leg. With one leg pedaling he managed to keep pace with a very fast group. It was a beautiful sight and really very inspiring.

Well, it's decidedly less inspirational, but I saw a grown dude pour half his drink into the golf club bag of his buddy's as a prank. Don't know either of them but it seemed like something they have done before.
    And here I was, :-0

We (Mrb and I) also played fetch with the dogs about 45 minutes later than we usually do, and it was almost dark out. Kinda fun to watch the dogs with their excellent vision track the tennis balls that we could barely see.
    We also rescued an owner surrender from animal control. Not an unusual thing for us, but a new experience for that particular dog for sure! He's a cutie, despite peeing on every corner in the living room so far....
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Right as it turns midnight from today to ... today ... I am getting to read this really cool thread.

A really good read.
    RoanPonyMare

Not a thing. My back is killing me so today was a catch up on sleep and try to find pain meds that help (not successful) kind of day.

May go out in a couple to look for meteors.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

I am in Hawaii this week and have seen and done some of the neatest things in the last few days.
    Walked on the bottom of a crater.
    I went bodyboarding today and had my bell rung. Had the time of my life doing it and can't wait to try it again.
    My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Woke up at dawn to the sound of a wild turkey loudly gobbling.

Got up, looked out my bedroom window. Big HUGE gobbler in the back yard doing his feathers "dance" ...courting a nearby hen. Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    Woke up at dawn to the sound of a wild turkey loudly gobbling.

Got up, looked out my bedroom window. Big HUGE gobbler in the back yard doing his feathers "dance" ...courting a nearby hen. Awesome!
    Hey- that's what woke me up this morning too- LOL! And yesterday morning, it was an owl and a fox having some kind of screaming competition.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I was sitting on an old picnic table while my friend was holding her horse, who was eating grass. The horse started itching her nose on the corner of the picnic bench which was attached to the table, and her noseband got caught slightly. The mare jumped back and the whole picnic bench with me on it went straight up in the air at least 3 feet then came down! Everyone was fine-just surprised. We laughed and laughed-wished we had a vid of it!

Quote Originally Posted by pal-o-mino View Post
    One of my pet rats made a nest in a drawer in my bed frame. In it., she had:
    A lollipop from who knows where
    A baggie of Disney pins from the Disney drawer next over, which she had opened and had pins all over
    Various papers from my desk, all chomped and made into nesting.
    A couple tea bags from the top of the desk, a couple were open
    Labels off packages
    Earplugs

I cannot figure how she dragged all that stuff from various places to this drawer.

She also found a glass of Sprite left over. She balanced on the edge of the glass with her back feet, leaned into the glass, scooped it with her front paws, then sat up and drank out of her paws. I was watching her do this in amazement. She looked at me like, what, can't you do this too?? Lol

Rats are awesome pets. Super smart!
    That's really cute!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

A totally unplanned 3 hour nap, not the norm, guess I needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom King View Post
    Not today, but a few days ago we had a REALLy bright rainbow that went all the way to the ground in a pasture. I was just pulling in the driveway. It was late and the sun was very low, in a clear sky to the West. Rain was coming from the East, and just getting to where the truck was. I took pictures, but the rainbow looks a lot fainter in the picture (taken with my golf swing, point and shoot camera) than it really was. I had never seen one all the way to the ground before.
    Lol was it a double rainbow Tom??
    http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?...e_gdata_player

Not new, but started last spring, two magpies have taken a shine to my mares mane and tail. I'm watching both of them now, scratching and pulling hairs out of her tail while she's relaxing flat out. Girl likes gettin' her hair did. Neat to watch, but turns her tail into a bottle brush.

Oh!, and I finally have some brown patches of grass poking thru the foot and half blanket of snow! Come on spring!!

Today? Nothing special. Drive to work. Work. Drive home. Work at home.

The other day though, as I was hacking my horse on the barn's property, we flushed a road runner! I'd never seen a real one before. It was running just like in the cartoon!
    Then that same day, driving home I saw a flock of wild turkeys, which is really not unusual, but there was a huge male all fluffed up with them. Beautiful bird!
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

I shipped my pants.

just kidding, I only made zucchini fritters for the first time. they were pretty dang good too!

Today I took my pup to a sheep herding place and we began learning how to herd! It was lots of fun and Paisley was fairly respectful of the sheep. We both have a lot to learn and it was good to get started today.

Another first today:Paisley's first experience at the beach! She was great! She got to run off leash with her new herding buddies and some other dogs that were there. She chased waves and got wet and sandy. She didn't go too far and she came back promptly every time I called her. She stole a couple of toys from other dogs but gave them back right away and politely. One thing I realized, a plus to her not caring much for strangers...she ignored all the other people on the beach, no visiting or jumping on people, she just trotted by like a lady. So proud of my baby girl!