The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default E-readers. Kindle again or are there options?

I could use a little group knowledge on this one. I was given a Kindle a few years ago and reluctantly put it to use. I like paper better, but do like the convenience of the E-reader. Unfortunately it blew up this past week and Amazon says it is past hope. While they will give me a discount on a replacement, I am wondering if there are other E-readers that are worth it? I wouldn't mind not being so tied to Amazon, but I am not aware of many options. Are Nooks just as good? Any others?

Thanks for any thoughts or recommendations.

I have a nook tablet and my mother has a kindle fire. I like her kindle better. Amazon is easier (and more reasonably priced) than b&n.
    \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

That is good to know, thank you for sharing. I guess I am a little annoyed with Amazon since it broke with no hope of fixing it, but if they have the best product so be it. I guess offering a discount was a nice gesture.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    I have a nook tablet and my mother has a kindle fire. I like her kindle better. Amazon is easier (and more reasonably priced) than b&n.

I've had my nook color for 2 years and adore it. I always said I am never going to e-books because I love the look, feel, etc of real ones. My mom got me my nook for Christmas and you can't tear me away from the thing. I'm not a fan of Kindle... but then again I've always been a Barnes & Noble faithful.

I've had 2 Kindles, one the original model and then a Kindle Fire. For one you've had for a few years, I think Amazon was quite customer-friendly to offer a discount. I like my Fire a lot, though now I'm reading more on my iPad, which downloads all my Kindle books no problem.

I love real books, but the e-readers have also won my heart. I especially love them for travel, because as an avid reader I used to pack a stack of books in the luggage. Now- E-Reader rules- more than 1000 books in a slender lightweight package.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I have a kindle paperwhite, touch, and fire. Yeah I know...don't ask. Love the paperwhite!!! The touch was too heavy with the lighted cover, which I needed because I like to read in bed with the lights off. The paperwhite is perfect in size and weight IMO. The display is awesome - very crisp - and the light works automatically which is really cool. It is very user friendly. I also love my old school fire for trips to use as an internet browser and for watching movies.

I seriously considered B+N, but Amazon has a much wider range of content available.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

An Ipad gives you all the worlds (kindle/ereader/writing) and a lot of other good stuff. Gave my daughter my kindle. Guess its up to what you want to do with it.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Generally speaking I agree with you it is nice of Amazon to offer a discount even after a few years. I do wish it hadn't broken, but sometimes that happens.

Lots of good comments and I appreciate people sharing their opinions. I do have an iPad, but it gets too heavy for me to hold for very long. I like the lighter weight and feel of the dedicated E-readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamb Chop View Post
    I've had 2 Kindles, one the original model and then a Kindle Fire. For one you've had for a few years, I think Amazon was quite customer-friendly to offer a discount. I like my Fire a lot, though now I'm reading more on my iPad, which downloads all my Kindle books no problem.

DD has a Samsung Tab, I use a Pantech Element. We have the nook and kindle apps as well as everything else we'd ever want.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I had a nook color and it was excellent. Then I bought an IPad. Wouldn't have anything else. You have the IBooks app, Kindle app, and Nook app. So you can have books from all 3 major suppliers.
    It's great. My husband still uses the Nook. He likes it a lot.

OP, you can get Kindle and Nook apps on any tablet, as well as on any smartphone. I have an Android 4.0 tablet I paid $89 for and I use that for an e-reader, plus keeping a book or two on my phone for long checkout lines.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Question for Eventforlife, does the paperwhite still use the e-ink? I like to read at night but don't want a computer screen light shining in my eyes.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I love my Nook Color. Have had it about 3 years. Had power cord issues, went thru 3 of them in less than 2 years but they claim to have that fixed now.
    Kerri

Pc, ipad and android phone. I do most reading on the phone. Be aware: the ipad cloud reader doesnt let you save books, you can only read while you have internet connection on tbe ipad. The android (native browser) you cant use cloud reader at all (that I know).

There are steps you can take to convert a cloud book to ibook, but thats too much work for me.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by bird4416 View Post
    Question for Eventforlife, does the paperwhite still use the e-ink? I like to read at night but don't want a computer screen light shining in my eyes.
    Yes it does! That's another reason I splurged on it even though my kindle touch was only a year old. I can read on my kindle fire but don't like to do so for too long because it has the computer lit display, whereas my paperwhite is just like reading a book with a reading light attached to it.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

1 members found this post helpful.

Apple offers a kindle app, so you can get an e-reader on your phone. That is what I use. If I wanted to get an e-reader id get an iPad.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

It sounds like you are not looking for a tablet, but rather a real eReader that uses e-Ink. Here are a few options:

Kindle: Yep, they still have eInk readers. With the Kindle you can still use your existing library of books. With any other eReader you'll be starting from scratch.

Nook: They have a plain eReader and one with a glow light (awesome for reading in bed). With a Nook you can buy from B&N or download any ePub format book from any book seller online and read them on your Nook-with the exception of Amazon which sells only for their proprietary eReader (Kindle) which is why I loath the Kindle.

Kobo: Few people other than reviewers of eReaders seem to know about these and how good they are. Like the Nook they will read many formats (except Kindle/Amazon). They have a really great pocket size and regular that has a glow light.

Sony: I still have an original pocket eReader from them. Love it! It's the sturdiest eReader I've found. The newer models are not as good, but I still like them. Sony does a nice job.

When shopping, I also look at page turning features. I'm finding I prefer a well placed button to touch. I hate touching the screen accidentally and losing my page. I like the smaller eReaders with buttons on the bottom since I hold them in one hand.

If you're worried about covers for different brands, shop custom ones on Etsy. T adore Red Hippos store and the design she came up with for eReaders of all shapes and sizes. There are many others, I just like her design.

If you are looking at a tablet and want to run everything (Amazon movies as well as iTunes, read books from Amazon, B&N, etc.) then you only good option is an iPad or iPod touch. None of the other devices will run all of those (unless you're a geek and can hack and crack things).
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

My ipad ROCKS as an e-reader. My mom and dad had kindles but once they tried reading on their ipad's they never went back. The only downfall is that its not great in direct sunlight.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I have a Nook. My first one was a 1st Gen Nook, but after the screen cracked and froze and I put off replacing it for a while, I was surprised to learn I still had a warranty on it. Of course, they couldn't replace the exact model, so I got a Simple Touch instead. I'd considered a Kindle, but wasn't really enthusiastic about it, so I was really happy to get my Nook replaced.

I only use it for reading. Which is why I got a Nook in the first place. It's small, light and carries lots of books which means I never have to lug around a heavy bag again -- a godsend on a long trip given my voracious appetite for books and my ability to speed read.

I didn't want something with a backlight (i.e. iPad, tablet, etc.) so I went with the basic e-ink design. I can't read in the dark with it, but that's all right.

What kind of books do you like to read? I love old stuff and the classics so I just read on my computer or my smart phone and don't waste time buying another device.

Also use Aldiko: http://www.aldiko.com/

Can't remember the other ones I use.....

Also listen on LibreVox.

In addition, a lot of libraries now will send you books online to read, you don't even have to go to the library and pick up the hard copy.

No need to purchase any other equipment or software.