The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinning, anyone?

Someone suggested that I try spinning as cross-training for riding and I'm totally hooked! Any other spinners?

Are the special shoes and clips really worth it? I've been wearing my running shoes and using the pedal "cages" and that worked decently until the cage snapped off one time and I got a nasty hematoma on my leg from where it slammed into the handlebars (I was pedaling pretty fast on high resistance, so I hit with a lot of force)! I'm thinking about getting the shoes so I can clip in and not worry about it, but they are a decent amount of money.

Love it and have been doing it for years! I did buy a bicycle and added road cycling to my work out with great results. Good luck!
    "When a president can pick and choose which laws to follow and which to ignore, he is no longer a president. " Ted Cruz

Cycling shoes are definitely worth it if you see yourself staying with spinning. I've done spinning for years and only recently invested in a pair. It makes such a difference - you'll love them!

I got mine at a Pearl Izumi Outlet and they were just over $100 and that included them installing the cleats.

I'm a triathlete so during the winter most of my bike training happens on a spin bike. It's not quite the same as a true road cycling experience but you can definitely make it work if you do it right.

FOR SURE invest in shoes and cleats. Most spin bikes take an SPD cleat, which are super cheap. If you hunt sales and clearances you can get a good pair of shoes for $50ish bucks. It will make a big difference in what you get out of the workout. Unless you're really part of the pedal you don't get the same full pedal stroke, the same pull UP on the pedal, so you're not utilizing all of your muscles to their fullest. Being clipped in will make a noticeable difference.

I love it! I find the most important thing is the teacher, even more so with spinning than with other workout classes.

I've never done it without shoes and cleats, as the place I go requires you to bring your own shoes or rent theirs - no cages. Paying $3 to rent shoes 1-2x a week was going to get pricey after a while, so I went ahead and got my own.

I'm sure this is a no-brainer, but pay attention to your posture. It makes my back and shoulders hurt just looking at the way some people ride.

not a huge fan of spin classes, especially the ones on the spin machines (I'd probably like them more if I did one where you set your own bike up on a trainer...bike shops often have those). But I do love to cycle!

Shoes make a big difference. They give you a little more power and stability in your pedal stroke, making you a more efficient pedaler and encourage you to use your muscles better.

Cycling transfers very well to riding. In fact, I'm sitting here being reminded why I need to be on my bike more. First real gallop day yesterday and my gallop muscles are SCREAMING today. Same muscles I use to pedal- quads and core.

This will not make me popular, but I feel strongly that "physical culture" has gone too far when people think "health" is literally forcing artificial exertion by running on a wheel (spinning, treadmills) just like a gerbil!

With respect, anyone with that much time and energy to burn might find their lives far more enhanced by doing something that actually needs doing--walk a bedridden person's dog, start a community garden, pick up trash along the roadside or chop down invasive species. Push a wheelchair at a veterans' hospital or coach a kids' sports team.

BTW, "chronic cardio" is now in question for "health" anyway.

1 members found this post helpful.

That doesn't really make any sense to me. Sometimes it's a matter of convenience (bikes are expensive), or weather restrictions (I'm not riding in the rain or cold), or the simple fact that some people just think that group exercise classes are fun (they really can be a great social outlet).

With respect, IMO what "needs doing" is more people caring enough about their health to actually get up off their bums and exercise. HOW they do it is not really my business. Obesity is a much bigger epidemic than spin cycles and treadmills. With a 60%+ obesity rate in this country are we really complaining about the method with which some people choose to exercise? REALLY?

Sorry but picking up trash or gardening isn't going to help me with my cycling fitness, nor is it going to help the OP with her riding fitness. I'm also sorry if my 30min-1hr on a spin bike is offensive... next week I will apologize to the animal shelter about that sliver of wasted of time while I'm there volunteering for half the day. God forbid I actually do any strength and cardio training to improve my sport performance.

3 members found this post helpful.

I did it religiously over a year ago, Lost 30 some lbs then gave it up.
    I am trying to get back into it again, With my Paleo diet and spinning 3 days a week I should be able to get the weight off.
    I just hate the seats, even with those gel seat covers they kill my tail bone.
    Edited to add, Lady has a point, The need for excess exercise is directly related to the glut of bad processed foods in the american diet.
    Wheat Belly and It starts with Food addresses that in detail.
    There is a study that even triathalon participants need to train twice as hard to keep their bodies at a good weight. Makes you think.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    This will not make me popular, but I feel strongly that "physical culture" has gone too far when people think "health" is literally forcing artificial exertion by running on a wheel (spinning, treadmills) just like a gerbil!

With respect, anyone with that much time and energy to burn might find their lives far more enhanced by doing something that actually needs doing--walk a bedridden person's dog, start a community garden, pick up trash along the roadside or chop down invasive species. Push a wheelchair at a veterans' hospital or coach a kids' sports team.

BTW, "chronic cardio" is now in question for "health" anyway.

I take an hour class - sometimes at night, sometimes at 6:15 in the morning before I have class - before I go to school. Never said anything about "health," but it does work some muscles and it is fun. I don't have time to get to the barn right now because of how far it is from where I live and the course load that I'm taking doesn't leave me enough time, so forgive me for trying to get some exercise aside from walking around my campus! Edited to add that I'm not doing it for weight loss or anything like that - I'm about 100 lbs soaking wet! - I'm just doing it for the fun and so I do something. I didn't realize it was offensive to people.

Excess time and energy is not something I have much of but don't worry, I do plenty of things that need doing too.
    Last edited by supershorty628; Apr. 22, 2013 at 06:29 PM.

Hey, if it feels good, do it, but if OTOH you think it's too expensive, time consuming, boring, or sweating and panting in a room full of other people's germs isn't for you and you need an excuse, I offer the following:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-...#axzz2REW3t4uA

Full disclosure: I was fully indoctrinated into the "fitness" culture for 10 years; I taught martial arts, had a personal trainer's license, and devoutly believed that any moment of the day I wasn't moving vigorously was shortening my life. BTW, I lived in near-constant pain, caught every bug that came along, and never lost a pound let alone "toned" anything. Lucky I didn't get a hernia on that freakin' abs machine!

Then I quit that job, started living with the horses and dogs 24/7, and observed something:

Most animals move slowly and steadily, as needed, for a specific purpose inherent to their survival. Horses graze, dogs track and guard, cats hunt and hawks ride the air currents seeking prey. Then--a sudden sprint! Predators pounce or strike, prey runs for it ready or not. Then--everyone takes a guilt-free long nap in the sun. NO animal will run itself to cardiovascular distress or muscle failure, I mean NONE, in the absense of a mortal threat. Neither did most of my female ancestors, who sat around hooking rugs, drinking brandy, and living with all their wits until 93 or 96 without benefit of Modern Medicine!

So why the hell do WE need to do it? One answer--the SAD (Standard American Diet). Ditch that, and you can spend your Paleo Day doing something a lot more fun than courting repetitive motion injury doing mindless cardio. I also save my lifting now for the important things like hay bales.

Full disclosure: I was fully indoctrinated into the "fitness" culture for 10 years; I taught martial arts, had a personal trainer's license, and devoutly believed that any moment of the day I wasn't moving vigorously was shortening my life. BTW, I lived in near-constant pain, caught every bug that came along, and never lost a pound let alone "toned" anything. Lucky I didn't get a hernia on that freakin' abs machine!

Then I quit that job, started living with the horses and dogs 24/7, and observed something:

Most animals move slowly and steadily, as needed, for a specific purpose inherent to their survival. Horses graze, dogs track and guard, cats hunt and hawks ride the air currents seeking prey. Then--a sudden sprint! Predators pounce or strike, prey runs for it ready or not. Then--everyone takes a guilt-free long nap in the sun. NO animal will run itself to cardiovascular distress or muscle failure, I mean NONE, in the absense of a mortal threat. Neither did most of my female ancestors, who sat around hooking rugs, drinking brandy, and living with all their wits until 93 or 96 without benefit of Modern Medicine!

So why the hell do WE need to do it? One answer--the SAD (Standard American Diet). Ditch that, and you can spend your Paleo Day doing something a lot more fun than courting repetitive motion injury doing mindless cardio. I also save my lifting now for the important things like hay bales.
    No, animals don't necessarily run themselves to death, but given the chance they will move, play, swim, or climb trees in efforts for fun and also for necessity. The main differences for us?...Many people do not have to go and hunt or forage for food all day which would make us fitter. (There are exceptions and I know someone personally who has to do this). I don't think many people will run themselves to cardiovascular distress or failure either. I mean really, we don't want to die. Rather, we want to maintain healthy...some want to lose weight and gain strength (me), others want to simply increase fitness (Supershorty). Yes diet has an impact, but I think the overwhelming laziness by sitting on a couch all day playing video games is probably just as much to blame.

Furthermore, having foreign bodies such as bacteria and viruses (bugs) enter your body and stay there is not really a reflection on fitness, but rather your innate and adaptive immune responses.

Also, just because a person takes time out for their personal benefit really has no correlation to their involvement in the community.
    The holy grail is to spend less time making the picture than it takes people to look at it.

I'm not in any way advocating for a couch-potato lifestyle, and have never played a video game in my life. Animals DO play, and "practice" life-skills especially when young, but the difference is they will not FORCE themselves to exercise to exhaustion the way the current exercise fads encourage humans to do.

For every person who's a cardio junkie, I guarantee you there are a hundred who'd sell their soul to the devil to get out of doing it. Fortuntately, that isn't necessary. If you can school yourself to live without the carbs, you can live without "chronic cardio" and be much healthier by objective measurements than you were with BOTH.

I don't want to live without carbs (nor do I need to).

I'm glad that you found a lifestyle that works for you - that's terrific - but please don't try to jam it down my throat just because I choose to do something different!

Not jammin' nothin'--just being informative, that's all . . .

Not jammin' nothin'--just being informative, that's all . . .
    The thing is, 5 months ago, You would have had to tie me up to keep me away from PAsta and bread and the like.
    Now I could care less. Instead of even thinking what can I go find to eat, I look forward to the PAleo Meatloaf I made last night and some yummy Cauliflower. I cannot believe the money I am saving too. Who says you cannot great food and not break the bank. ITs the fake stuff that is so expensive. And my body is starting to thank me.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I can't quite call myself a triathlete yet, as my first race is in a couple weeks, but I do a spin class once a week (and ride my bike for another 6 hrs) to train. I enjoy it because it allows me to 'ride' on wet days or on days that I don't have a ton of self-motivation to pick a hard route on my bike. I have found that it helps with my lower leg when riding for some reason...

Shoes and clips are totally worth it! I have actually been using my running shoes and cages lately because I have different clips on my bike and am too lazy to change them back and forth. You are a lot more stable and gain more from each ride.