The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rambo fly buster

Just wondering if anyone has any exp with this fly sheet, good or bad, also size wise, they say they run big, my guy is an 84 in blankets, so I figured I would go with 82, but they only have 81...?

I have one and liked it, except it did run quite big. My horse wears 81 in Rambo normally, so I got an 81 in the Flybuster and it is huge on him. I decided to save it for his big brother (that wears an 84 in Rambo normally), and will watch for a 78 for the other guy. The material isn't as stiff as I remember the old Rambo fly sheets being, but real durable, and think it will last longer than the Amigo BugBuster I've had for him before.

On sizing, I always think Rambo runs big anyway, so for the horse that normally wears an 81 in Rambo, yet the 81 flybuster is too big - he's an 82 or 84 in other brands, like Turtleneck or Baker. Even with the flybuster being too big on him, hedidn't get rubbed, but the back got nasty as it hung down, held his tail down, so his poop got all over the back.Hence, my looking for a smaller one this year.

LOOOOOOVVVE the Rambo Fly Buster. It's the only fly sheet I buy.

Rambos fit differently than other blankets. They used to have an infographic on their site, explaining, but I haven't been able to find it for a few years. I always go one size down, unless the horse is particularly thick through the shoulder (frankly, I don't think Rambos are a great fit for those super broad-chested horses anyway.)

My mares that measure about 78" go in the 75" sheets. I even have a 72" Rambo wug that fits them fine.

Rambos do fit different from other US sized blankets, yes. But IME, the Flybuster was even bigger than the usual Rambo. Unless perhaps mine was mis sized. I even held it up to my sheets and blankets to confirm it really was bigger. I guess when I find a 78 on sale I'll find out if it fits my normally 81 horse.

I used to know exactly what size to order for my guys in Horseware, but now I'm not so confident. One horse has been a 75 forever, has had multiple Rambos in various cuts and weights and colors (we like to keep his "metro male" nickname by staying stylish). He has 2 Duos in 75 that fit great. Ordered a new one in a 75 and it is too small. I thought he'd gotten too fat, but measured and compared and new one IS smaller. Grr...