The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle woes

Hey everyone, I'm still looking at saddles and still losing my mind! I absolutely LOVE my Tad Coffin. I feel incredibly comfortable in it, my equitation is great, I can sit well and feel very comfortable when I ride in it. The problem is.....my horse HATES it. It is bouncing on his back and the cantle is smacking him in the back. He has become so sour that he pins his ears, balks away and even threatens to kick when he sees the saddle. So we have quit riding while I try new saddles.

I recently tried a Black Country Quantum since it can be made custom to the horse. The demo fit him okay, however the custom would definitely need rear gussets. The problem, I HATED it. I consider myself to be a pretty tolerant person and can adjust to most saddles however with that particular one the twist was so wide it pinched and bruised my inner thighs. On top of that, I felt so far away from the horse and my legs didn't make appropriate contact and I felt that I was flopping on saddle. The balance just didn't seem quite right.

I have a used County Stablizer coming on trial Wednesday.

Can anyone suggest a good saddle that will give me the balance and feel of the Tad but the support and comfort my horse needs? He has high withers but a flat back. We definitely need wool flocked.
    Thanks in advance!

I had to give up my Tad for the same reason, so can completely sympathize. Horse did not like it, couldn't make it fit, and I miss it still! For that horse, I did get a County Stabilizer. Of all I personally have tried, it was the closest in feel to the Tad for me ... but certainly not an exact substitute. I have not found anything that made me feel exactly right, in that perfect balance and super leg position that the Tad did for me. But horse was happy, and I'm fine with it now.

If you don't like the used one you have coming to try, if it is older, I'd suggest trying a newer one too. When I was waiting on mine to come, I rode in an older demo Stabilizer and HATED it...totally different feel than the new demo I tried and my eventual new saddle.

I also have a Black Country Quantum right now for another horse and understand you not liking it after the Tad. Totally different feel, but for me, it works as it fits my picnic table backed horse.

I'll be curious if others have suggestions as I'm looking for a saddle for my latest difficult fit horse, and wouldn't mind trying some others.

1 members found this post helpful.

A lot of horses hate Tad Coffins, they are made incredibly wide. We've had horses who actually had sores, and even bled from the saddles. Some horses they are great, and others not so much.

As for your comfort, the closest thing I have come to that has a similar feel, would be a Butet. I actually prefer Butets over the Tad's. Close contact feel, with a narrow twist, but more comfy. Horses love them, the older ones are considerably narrow, but the newer ones come with a wider tree option. And they also have the new tree too now.

I had a Butet prior to the Tad. I don't find them to ride at all the same. Butet was certainly comfy and I was kind of shocked to go to the then-hard (now improved) seat of the Tad. I had better luck fitting more horses with the Tad than the Butet, that's for sure! I was amazed how much better I rode and horse performed when trainer made me swap the Butet for his (too big for me) Tad in a clinic. But even he (a devoted Tad fan) admitted when I brought my other horse in with the County that there are horses for which the Tad doesn't work. I think I'd notice a lot sooner than when bleeding sores formed, yikes.

Without seeing the horse in question, it's a bit tough to make any meaningful recommendations on what might suit him. Can you post some photos/links? There are quite a few saddle companies out there that will bench-make a saddle to your horse's (and your) specs - most of the UK-based saddle companies will do so - so you should be able to find something that suits you both.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    Without seeing the horse in question, it's a bit tough to make any meaningful recommendations on what might suit him. Can you post some photos/links? There are quite a few saddle companies out there that will bench-make a saddle to your horse's (and your) specs - most of the UK-based saddle companies will do so - so you should be able to find something that suits you both.
    Kitt,
    The only pictures I have of him are old confo shots, however I will try to get some this evening. Thank you!

Even though they don't ride like a Tad, I switched from a Tad to a Butet (I loved mine, my horse loved mine, my trainer hated it with a burning passion). From a riders perspective the Butet is much more supportive but like the Tad, it won't get in your way (at least in my experience). I was in love with my Tad Coffin but now I'm so much more in love with my Butet Another idea is a CWD, I've ridden in one a few times and I really liked it. I think I might have ridden a little more like a Tad than the Butet. Good Luck!
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

I would love an answer to this as well. I have a Tad Coffin and I am thinking about taking a new Pessoa A/O with the Alto panel out on trial. I need to get confo shots of my new guy.

The new Pessoa MasterFit system has panels for specific conformation problems.
    The Alto or standard panels sound like they would be a god fit for your horse.
    There are several models that have this system with those panel options.

I am interested in this too. I have a Tad that my horses love and I love. But I want a second saddle for trainer, guests, etc, and can't really afford another Tad!
    friend of bar.ka

I used to use a Pessoa on my horse, but I just didn't feel comfortable in it (I'm not sure why, my position used to look so awkward.) I tried out my friends Collegiate and loved it. I bought one years back and now looking to get a new Collegiate (The Sorrento). I like them because they aren't as expensive as some saddles and I've always had luck fitting them to different horses. I guess it depends on the person and the horse and what they're comfortable in. Good luck finding a saddle!

Check out Bliss of London. I bought a horse with big withers and a non curvy back. Bliss worked for his back and my balance point and twist preferences. Wool flocked too.

I did not like how County, Black Country, Albion or Kent and Masters rode for me, the balance point was too far back in all of them.

If you didn't like the wide twist of the BC but the fit is workable, you may want to try an ideal. They have the wider back panels and can be stuffed up but the twist is not as wide as the BC.