The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone want to take a crack at this tattoo????

We have a new rescue horse. We were told he's a five year old thoroughbred stallion. We know he's a stallion, and he has a tattoo, so we think that he's a TB. He's a good 250 pounds underweight.

The (somewhat sketchy) history we got was he was found in the woods by the guy who had him. Horse lived there for years. Apparently, they knew he was 8 years old and was reported to have won a lot on the track. They claimed not to know his name though. *sigh*

So, here is a link to a few pictures. I am having issues with them, and we'll have to try and get more tomorrow. He was VERY excited to be at our place, and was wiggly.

http://www.facebook.com/lama.khandro...12060615518453

Interestingly, he seems to be a very sweet, nice natured horse. He has the cutest little araby head with a big, kind eye. I like him....

Need to know if he has any white markings, whorls on his head, and on his neck.

The more I look, the more I think thats a Standardbred tattoo.

I don't think he's a standardbred...he is VERY TB looking.

He has a right hind white from pastern to foot, no other markings. He has a swirly on his head, about an inch or two above his eyes. Don't know about his neck. The rain rot is pretty bad, and he's missing some hair....

Quote Originally Posted by halo View Post
    The more I look, the more I think thats a Standardbred tattoo.
    If he is only 5-8 years of age, I wouldn't think so. They switched to freeze-branding in the 90s IIRC.

?1562?

I found his full body pics on your FB... is there a little white on his front left heel?

Left fore: heel white. Right hind: pastern white, higher in back; dark spots on coronet. Median cowlick at top of eye level.

Horse Name Kessem Gold

Tattoo I15633

Year of Birth 2005

Dam Name Gallantress

Color Bay

Sex Horse

Raced 36 times, 3-3-2, won $20,878. Mostly in Kentucky and Ohio.

Racing photo: (wrapped, can't tell much to compare markings.) http://www.patlangphoto.com/January/...4483&k=8KnX8BF

http://www.patlangphoto.com/January/...4547&k=9kpdcGH

1 members found this post helpful.

Ok, here goes the research update....

It seems like the halter that was on the horse had the name plate "Kessem Gold" on it. Previous owner swears that is his halter and the name is correct. After much googling, I found a win picture. The conformation is the similar (what you can tell comparing a racing fit horse to the skeleton on our property anyway), and they both have right hind white feet.

Is there anyway to find out what tattoo was put on Kessem Gold to compare with our pictures? If anyone wants to compare,

Her is our new guy as of this afternoon...

https://www.facebook.com/lama.khandr..._comment_reply

Here is the win picture I found...

http://www.patlangphoto.com/January/...pdcGH&lb=1&s=A

Yes, I know. It's not the best comparison, but that's what I have found so far. Something about the story we've been handed is not adding up. Ok, everything about the story isn't adding up.

Did you read my last post? I just identified him as Kessem Gold before you mentioned that. So sounds like that's pretty certain.

It does, I just saw your post. I think we were typing at the same time.

Yay for Kessem Gold. Now, how the heck did he get "found" in by someone wearing his halter w/ name plate and still flippin' intact?

I'll have to see if I can find his last race owner and see if we can trace what happened to him. It doesn't make a difference at this point to him, but we'd like to know how he got into the predicament he was in.

I'm really hoping that he's sound and able to be a good riding horse. I love his sweet face and nice attitude.

Furlong, that's pretty funny. Like - whoosh - OP didn't read the thread. Anyway, Its great finding the story behind the horse in hand, isn't OP - enjoy your Kessem Gold - betcha he's going to come back and be a great addition to your family. And, you are going to geld him, right? He really looks sweet.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

As soon as groceries are on board and he doesn't look like a walking skeleton, he will be gelded. If for no other reason that the poor guy is in solitary confinement due to his attachment to his boy parts.

Once we have the two week health quarantine underway, he'll be in the same area as the others so he can at least see friends, but for now he's going to have to be lonely.

Tomorrow will be a busy day for him, with the vet visiting, alfalfa in small amounts and frequent quantities, and maybe a hand walk around the pasture so he can munch on the grass. We also need to see about some hoof care. Surprisingly, his feet are horrible, but they do need some TLC.

I hope he stays this nice...

Holy crap!!! He is beyond thin. What are people thinking when they let a horse (or any animal) get this bad. Once he gets some decent groceries in him you might have a whole different attitude. He sure was handsome in his racing days.

I'm so glad you are helping him.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

I'm never one to tell people not to geld, BUT... You might want to ask viney or some of the other pedigree gurus on here if he's worth keeping intact as a possible sport stallion. He's got some notables on bottom (Alydar, Sir Gaylord, Never Bend, Double Jay), and Santa Claus on top, which I remember some people saying they liked. (as well as Princequillo) However, his tail male line I'm not familiar at all with until it gets to Blandford (quite a ways back), and not sure what their worth would be to a sport breeder.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

Quick one day update...

Bones McCoy (aka Kessem Gold) is doing well. He is HUNGRY and he's not really happy about not eating everything. He doesn't seem to understand what refeeding syndrome is, but luckily we know better and we are feeding him slowly.

He is lonely in his quarantine area, but is handling it fairly well.

Gelding is scheduled for two weeks from today. If he turns into a turkey head as he gets groceries, gelding can happen earlier (according to the vet). Vet has checked him over, prescribed groceries, a good worming, and a tooth floating. Not all at the same time obviously. The floating will probably happen on gelding day. Worming will happen slowly also. Vaccines will also happen after the food has started to work. Farrier is out the end of the week.

I think he's a lucky little guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Real Rush View Post
    I'm never one to tell people not to geld, BUT... You might want to ask viney or some of the other pedigree gurus on here if he's worth keeping intact as a possible sport stallion. He's got some notables on bottom (Alydar, Sir Gaylord, Never Bend, Double Jay), and Santa Claus on top, which I remember some people saying they liked. (as well as Princequillo) However, his tail male line I'm not familiar at all with until it gets to Blandford (quite a ways back), and not sure what their worth would be to a sport breeder.
    This.
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

what happened to his bum? he looked like he was clipped.
    Poor guy.. he has a beautiful head.
    Good luck and thank you.