The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is this the same hose that turned out to be a scam?

https://www.pockethose.com/

The ads are all over TV. But it looks a lot like the hoses that some COTHers had ordered and never received or got after a long wait.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

I don't know but I saw them at Bed, Bath & Beyond and was tempted. Would love to know if anyone has tried one.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

They are legit but I have no idea if they are worth a damn. Sold by the company that sells 99.345% of those TV infomercial products.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Just a word of caution...you cannot allow horses or people to drink out of those hoses (or a trough filled by using those hoses), because the chemicals used to make the hoses are toxic.

They look evil too.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Just a word of caution...you cannot allow horses or people to drink out of those hoses (or a trough filled by using those hoses), because the chemicals used to make the hoses are toxic.
    Really? Well that sucks.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Why would you want one then? Yikes -every hose I use provides a drink for somebody.

1 members found this post helpful.

Watering plants, washing cars.
    Make sure you check your hoses that you buy. Many are made with the chemicals that make them unsafe to drink from. There is usually a label on them, or on the tag that they come with that says if they are not safe to drink from.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    DEFINITELY!!! And it can be a real pain in the a** to find a potable water hose. They MUST be clearly marked "Safe for drinking water" in order to be used for critters. Neither our Lowe's or Home Depot carries them, except for worthlessly-short really expensive ones meant for RV use.

That said, my dear hubby managed to score me five 50' "drinking-water safe" garden hoses at Costco this past week to replace my current "duct-tape-holding-hands" barn hose. Yay!!

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    https://www.pockethose.com/

The ads are all over TV. But it looks a lot like the hoses that some COTHers had ordered and never received or got after a long wait.
    No, it's a different hose. But most likely just as useless as far as quality goes, & also most likely isn't drinking-water safe.

So the freeze free hose ended up not to be any good? I thought some people had liked it.

I can't speak to the toxicity but we had a couple of these at the barn. I don't think they lasted more than a week. In a word, they suck.

Don't waste your money.

Are you referring to the one with the heating coil built in?

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    So the freeze free hose ended up not to be any good? I thought some people had liked it.
    If I remember correctly, while a few liked it for a short time after purchase, there were several others who found it not standing up wear-wise/quality-wise.

I bought one at our January Stock Show. 25' Blue one, and the label had no non-drinking warning that I noticed. It does the job of not freezing at times when any water at all left in a hose will freeze solid and plug it, and is useful for running water to spray shavings in the wheelbarrow or the barn floor. I have filled a few water buckets with it and no horse has died. They are fairly fragile, and I would not drag through fields or use them to fill troughs as they whip around like a stomped snake if you let go. That being said, I have never used anything but a garden hose around the barn for 40 years.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    If I remember correctly, while a few liked it for a short time after purchase, there were several others who found it not standing up wear-wise/quality-wise.
    Thanks. I had been thinking about getting one for next winter. Guess I'll save my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post
    I bought one at our January Stock Show. 25' Blue one, and the label had no non-drinking warning that I noticed. It does the job of not freezing at times when any water at all left in a hose will freeze solid and plug it, and is useful for running water to spray shavings in the wheelbarrow or the barn floor. I have filled a few water buckets with it and no horse has died. They are fairly fragile, and I would not drag through fields or use them to fill troughs as they whip around like a stomped snake if you let go. That being said, I have never used anything but a garden hose around the barn for 40 years.
    If it doesn't clearly state "Safe for Drinking Water", then it's NOT. And horses just don't drop dead from cancer immediately after drinking water from non-potable water hoses. It takes time, just like it does with people. And your "garden hose" around the barn for 40 years doesn't automatically make that safe either. But all the more power to you. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    If it doesn't clearly state "Safe for Drinking Water", then it's NOT.
    Then we're all going to die (horses and dogs, too). I can't even imagine the number of regular ol' cheapo garden hoses I've drank out of over the years. I accept my fate.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

9 members found this post helpful.

I bet the folks on the canoeing thread would like a few pocket hoses.... I can't walk past the displays and not laugh
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Then we're all going to die (horses and dogs, too). I can't even imagine the number of regular ol' cheapo garden hoses I've drank out of over the years. I accept my fate.
    That's true. But now that hoses have to be clearly marked, I'd rather hedge my bets & go for the "safe" ones.