The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equine Podiatry Consult Recommendation Needed

I'm looking for someone to do a podiatry consult for my horse. Is there a particular vet or vet clinic that stands out from the rest?

I've heard Rood and Riddle has a good podiatry practice. Has anyone heard of NANRIC Inc? What about New Bolton or somewhere else on the east coast? Thanks so much for any recommendations.
    I'm so busy I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse

What is the exact issue you are looking for help with? (lameness, laminitis, general improvement in hoof form, second opinion on radiographs...)
    Are you looking to do something in person, or no? If the former, where are you located?
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for asking follow-up questions. I answered your questions below in red. Obviously I know Rood and Riddle's podiatry practice is in Lexington, KY so that would be a distance consultation, but I'm not opposed to that if they would provide the best guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    What is the exact issue you are looking for help with? (lameness, laminitis, general improvement in hoof form, second opinion on radiographs...)

General improvement in hoof form and/or second opinion on radiographs. I have a horse with a front hoof that I'm told is slightly clubby. X-Rays show slight changes in the navicular. Horse has not been unsound except for 2 abscesses in 4 years - even then horse was sore only for a day or two. Horse has been trimmed and balanced according to earlier X-Rays. So I'd like a second opinion/advice on if a change in trimming/shoeing is needed in hopes to try to keep this horse sound.

Are you looking to do something in person, or no?

Either. I'm looking for my best option to do right by my horse. I just don't what that is yet...

If the former, where are you located?

Horse is in southeastern PA.

Ric Redden at NANRIC is considered to be at the top of his field. He will do consults with your vet/farrier. Where are you located?

My farrier, Rob Spencer is excellent, equine podiatry is his specialty, and I believe he travels to PA...I know he makes the rounds in NJ and NY For a time, he and Eric Parsons owned the NANRIC clinic, IIRC.

You're much closer to New Bolton though, I would start with them.

PM me for Rob's number.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Have you talked to your regular farrier? If you are looking for a second opinion and someone to provide suggestions, it would be best if they work in the same school of thought as your current farrier. Otherwise, you risk hitting resistance and differences in opinion and so on. I think most farriers have some big names that they look up to. Perhaps you can ask your guy/gal who that is for them.
    Good luck
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Were I in Southeastern PA I would unquestionably take my horse to New Bolton.

It is far better to be working with someone capable of seeing your horse in the flesh. There are also some excellent farrier groups in the SE Pa area. Dr Redden and Rob Spencer are both excellent. But they are there, and you are here.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Send me a PM and I'll arrange for you to have a consultation with Dave Duckett, FWCF. He is just north of Philadelphia.

Being in SE PA I would also highly recommend New Bolton; they have an excellent podiatry program and farriers (as I know from experience with my own horse!). Plus, they can actually look at your horse first-hand, which I feel is VERY important in any podiatry consult. Long-distance consultations can work as part of the process, but having someone looking at and palpating your horse should absolutely be a part of the process as well.
    Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine - Class of 2014

Chance Encounter
    RIP Tall Tales

Running "S" in Oldwick, NJ is prob your best bet.

IME, Podiatry clinics are no better than finding a good everyday Farrier. If I wanted a second opinion on horseshoeing I would want somebody with a good reputation who shoes the same horses time after time. Not somebody who has a job because there was a position open who shoes a horse once or twice.
    Eric Russell CJF

If you could get Eric Russell to be your farrier you probably wouldn't be looking for a podiatrist any more.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you so much everyone! I greatly appreciate everything! I'll look into these recs and update y'all!