The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default NAWD Test warning: The scores literally don't add up

We elected to use their 2013 Western Dressage tests. Jen Johnson with NAWD emailed me a zipped file of their tests on March 9.

On April 13 we used the tests and one of the Western Dressage competitors earned the High Point ribbon.

But she didn't. She's since studied the test more closely and her scores on both tests are completely wrong! The 79.286 is supposed to be 74, and the 64.857 is supposed to be a 73.22.

ETA: THEY ARE WRONG B/C the possible Total Points values were wrong- one side of the tests says 300, the other side says 280. AND now to make it more fun, the published possible points is 290....and the test itself is revised, as well.

So- Fair WARNING. NAWD made zero effort to alert anyone that the tests THEY published were wrong. If you're using their....stuff....check it closely. I know when I download USDF or USEA or USEF tests: the math works. I expected- and should expect- better from a national organization.

Their answer? "these things happen".

really?
    Last edited by katarine; Apr. 22, 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Riders have to check there tests immediately after getting them back. (Are the scorers using a chart, or calculating the totatls themselves?)
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Which test?

They are calculating the totals themselves. NAWD is new to us, and we trusted that their published tests could be calculated accurately. Apparently, they couldn't. We did our best, my issue is that the publishing org sent flawed materials and their answer is 'it happens.' Bad form.

Alibi we didn't ride all 20 some odd tests: You should check yours.

You add the scores up (with any x2), and then divide the total possible. (There should be a score tape stabled onto the test...always check it.)
    I.D.E.A. yoda

GOSH, Ideayoda, I Had No Idea.

6 members found this post helpful.

I think what katarine is saying is that the actual total points possible are not what the test says they are, so you wind up dividing by the wrong number.
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

6 members found this post helpful.

Let me try to say this another way:
    Level 2, test 2. The top of the test says 300 possible points. Where you score it, and divide by possible...it says 280 points.

And their newest, published version has...290 points in both places.

You wanna sell me your special calculator, Yoda?

I was in direct communication with NAWD, and Jen know she'd sent me those versions. You would think when you find an error of that magnitude, you'd scratch your head and say---wow, I should contact those folks I've sent these to in the last month since they were officially published. Especially those who specifically stated they were going to use them in a show. Wow, I should go check my outbox. NAWD is such a small organization I don't think I'm asking for the moon in stating that.

Exactly what I am trying to say.

They published and distributed flawed tests. And made ZERO effort to contact those hosting shows to correct the error. I have many emails from Jen Johnson- was it really unreasonable to think "oh Jeez" and TRY to fix this mistake they made?

You better do math better than you read, lady.

Jen with NAWD EMAILED me the 2013 tests on March 9. What she sent me, directly FROM NAWD....is Level 2, Test 2 version 2. I ASKED her to email them as it is a PITA to download a million different tests- I ASKED for a zipped file. She sent me the PUBLISHED versions in an EMAIL.

TODAY the version on their web site is ....VERSION 3.

Silly Horse can read. Thank you, Silly Horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

katarine honestly - your posts don't make much sense, and the hostility doesn't help make it clearer.

getting mad at folks for trying to help is just bad form.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    You better do math better than you read, lady.

Jen with NAWD EMAILED me the 2013 tests on March 9. What she sent me, directly FROM NAWD....is Level 2, Test 2 version 2. I ASKED her to email them as it is a PITA to download a million different tests- I ASKED for a zipped file. She sent me the PUBLISHED versions in an EMAIL.

TODAY the version on their web site is ....VERSION 3.
    Boy, I'm just so glad we're encouraging western dressage. It seems to be getting off to a great start. (I was going to insert a smiley, but didn't know whether to use or or or or or .)
    Founding member of the "I Miss bar.ka" clique
    Founding member of the "I Miss Pocket Trainer" clique

2 members found this post helpful.

That said these arent usEf tests either (perhaps the NAWD was in a rush to get theirs out???)
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    katarine honestly - your posts don't make much sense, and the hostility doesn't help make it clearer.

getting mad at folks for trying to help is just bad form.
    Yeah, really, I was a little confused reading it too, I thought you meant they'd sent out tests with a math calculator built in, and was thinking that could be nifty. And yes, mistakes happen. I was at a show (rated) where the wrong year's version of PSG was sent out - mistakes happen. I've also gotten judges manuals with errors in the tests. One year, USDF sent out the Directory and there was an error - they sent out a correction, but not before some people had shown and had errors. Mistakes happen. Notify the organization (sounds like you did that), and realize next time will be smoother.

Telling me how to score a test and look for the little white tape did not and does not come across as helping. When the org's response is ' it happens' rather than ' we're sorry it happened' that isn't helping, either.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    That said these arent usEf tests either (perhaps the NAWD was in a rush to get theirs out???)
    Did 2013 sneak up on them?

It IS a rather significant error if the tests are being used alongside non-NAWD tests and all are eligible for a high-point award. I do hope NAWD gets their act together, as otherwise schooling show organisers will simply leave WD tests out of the high-point mix. Maybe they'll make a more public apology that will help clear up the issue.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

4 members found this post helpful.

Her response in their FB group?
    Speaking from experience, this stuff is Far more difficult than anyone understands. I know we had a time when our fronts and backs did not match. Mistakes happen. I am always glad when someone finds an error and brings it to my attention because nobody is perfect.

and

We had at least 4 people review them but still missed stuff. Not to mention managing revisions and versions and uploads. I'm sure that the WDAA and the USEF proofed the Morgan tests many times too. Like I say, it's easy to miss stuff and I feel their pain

I guess I don't hear any real apology in there. I hear "hey, we tried, mistakes happen'.

What you're not hearing is how they are going to correct this, especially since it effects their awards system. But then it sounds like figuring that out is going to take some thought, and so she didn't have an immediate answer. My customer service training says apologize and give action steps. Being a customer care agent doesn't pay, but it does give one fast reactions in this type of situation that not everyone has the training for.

2 members found this post helpful.